2010/01/06

Everything in moderation -- Just because you can doesn't mean you should

Teens & Text messages. Ah, the conundrum.


Say there is this fictitious child with an unlimited texting plan on their cell phone. This is a generally "responsible" child - they text within "reasonable hours" and try to be respectful of the school hours, etc. But say said child recently had, oh, I don't know... 18,209 messages on their bill last month (but who's counting...). What is one to do???
At what point does a person say "hey, this doesn't pass the gut check"??? Or, just because you can do something, does it mean that you should... It's funny how philosophies differ on this issue. In my right wing, traditional brain, I have a belief system that everything should be done in moderation. Anything that reaches the tens of thousands doesn't scream out moderate to me.
I tried to imagine how my mother would have handled such a thing; but I can't even fathom this ever popping up the years of my youth (aside from the fact that cell phones were something for science fiction way back then). I had far too much of my parents conservatism ingrained into me to ever "go there"... (Thank you mom and dad for instilling reasonableness in me).


Speaking of moderation - I have finally finished up my tray of Choco-Mallow squares(KingArthurFlour.com -- recipes, search Choco-Mallow). I am normally not a huge chocolate girl, but I love me some soft, fluffy marshmallows! I made them with pecans instead of walnuts (I had a bag open already) and used remnants of several bags of chocolate chips I had hanging around. Excellent treat & a keeper recipe. In keeping with my theme of moderating, I made sure I gave away most of this treat. I wish I had a picture, these were so pretty.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.