2010/03/14

Going Natural... Try it, you might like it...

One of the blogs that I follow on a regular basis is 101 Cookbooks (click to link) by Heidi Swanson.  Heidi is the author of Super Natural Cooking and as you may guess by the title of her book, highlights recipes that focus on the use of ingredients that have not been highly refined or are organic in nature.  Now I will admit that many of her recipes contain ingredients/ combinations that I have not felt the urge to explore yet; but when I saw this recipe for Figgy Buckwheat Scones, it piqued my interest. 

There were two things that pulled me in: 1) the homemade fig butter recipe for the filling and 2) the use of buckwheat flour.  I always enjoy the opportunity to work with non-traditional flours.  Buckwheat is very high in fiber and is gentle on the digestive system.  Plus, I had never tried making anything like fig butter before and based on the ingredient list I knew it was going to be a winner. 

Spoiler alert...  You know that I never follow a recipe 100%.  Even when my intentions are good.  I couldn't find figs in the store - so I bought dates.  The recipe called for two different types of wine - HA!  Whatever was left over in my fridge would have to do.  And of course, star anise - no thank you.  I am sure it is a very lovely ingredient indeed, but since I haven't discovered why it is so lovely it can stay at the store for now...

After some time on the stove and a run through the blender, the "fig" (date) butter came out really well.  Since I wasn't going to have time to make the scones until Sunday evening, I snitched some on a piece of the bread I made last night.  Whoa.  I could eat this stuff by the shovelful.  I almost rethought my plan to use up half of it in the scones.   Although, I will admit that I did buy a backup jar of Fig Preserves from the store in the event I royally messed this up...

Here is the date butter spread on the buckwheat scone dough. 


Rolled up and ready to "chill".  (This is sticky dough - although messy, the flour was very much needed to get the dough into a submissive state).


Cut up and ready to pop into the oven...



I baked up half of the log tonight.  As I type, the aroma of the date butter is filling the downstairs.  Ohhh, I can't wait to snag a warm one.  I'll try to get a picture of the finished product later... but the timer is going off and I am ready to go...

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.