2010/04/08

Braised Chicken & Artichokes

A couple of weeks ago I was able to get a packet of five large chicken leg quarters for 3.29$ at the grocery store.  Whoa!  Who could resist a deal like that?  Not this girl on a budget.  But, chicken legs??  Seriously, what do you do with them?  I am not a great "lover of the legs", but am far too practical to ignore good fortune when it comes my way.  To the cookbook wall!!!!!  (James Bond theme music playing in the background - this girl was on a mission.  Dah, dah, dah... dah, duh... dah, dah, dah, duh, duh... duh, duh, duh...duh, duh, duh...  What?  You didn't get that.  I could hear the music in my head.) 

I went rummaging through the cookbook collection and found a in The Bon Appetit Cookbook that looked like it would "fill the bill".  The thing that caught my eye was that it used bone-in chicken pieces and it had artichokes.  And I love me some 'chokes (and had a can in the pantry)....  SOLD. 


I started out by sauteing the legs on the stove to get some color into those pasty-looking appendages (reminds me too much of my own sorry state).  The chicken legs were finally able to pick up some color - I, on the other hand, still resemble the uncooked version.

I was a little impatient and didn't get them quite as brown as I ought to have - but after they reached a certain level of color, added the liquid ingredients, covered and braised until meat was cooked through.  Threw in the artichokes during the last few minutes of cooking time.  Served this with Gluten- Free Brazilian Cheese "Buns" that had just popped out of the oven and some broccoli.  They had a great flavor and this was a really good use for an inexpensive piece of meat, but I am still not sold on chicken legs.  Next time, would substitute bone-in chicken breasts... 

Recipe for braised chicken and artichokes
(Adapted from The Bon Appetit Cookbook)

2 Tbs olive oil
Salt & Pepper
3 Chicken Leg Quarters
1 14 oz can artichoke hearts (reserve juice)
1 tsp crushed red hot pepper
Zest and juice of one lemon
1 cup chicken broth
1/2 cup white wine (optional)

Heat olive oil in a large skillet.  Meanwhile, salt and pepper chicken legs.  Once pan is hot, saute legs 10-12 minutes on each side until browned.  Add reserved artichoke "juice", crushed red hot pepper, zest & juice of lemon, chicken broth and wine (if using) cover and cook for about 10-15 minutes.  Reduce heat to simmer and cook until broth has reduced slightly and chicken has cooked through.  Add drained artichokes.  Remove from heat and let rest for 5 minutes.  Use pan juices to pour over chicken. 



No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.