2010/07/23

Maybe you can't stand the heat...

It's been hot... So hot...  Mind numbingly hot for this upstate girl.  But there are some things in life worth putting up with additional adversity for.  Like bread.  Fresh out of the oven.  Warm, with butter on.  In a panini sandwich.  Or shoved into your mouth by the fistful...  Uh, did I just say that?  Ummm.  Look away.  No, you didn't see the crumbs cascading down the front of my shirt.  Nope, nothing to see here...

You know how they say "if you can't stand the heat, stay out of the kitchen..."  Well, I tried to,  I really did.  But it was bread.  Warm, soft bread.  MMMMMMMMM.  Moving along (again). 

Normally, miserable, sweltery (I still don't know if this is a real word) heat would have me hiding out with my head stuck in the freezer.  (There is only AC in my bedroom, so I don't have a lot of choices here...)   But, when I saw the recipe for KAF No Knead Garlic Cheese Focaccia, I came out of my weather inflicted baking moratorium and turned up the heat.  (BTW, I saw the bread before the cookies.  The cookies came later - I figured by that point, I was in for a penny, in for a pound and all that good stuff!)

Since this was a no-knead bread & needed only one rise, this came together super quick (I made it on a weeknight and in less than two hours, I had bread).  Took half the loaf into work, along with some tapenade for a morning treat.  I used the other half to make grilled turkey sandwiches.  It got enough good reviews that I put it in my keeper file (and I made it again on the weekend, this time using a horseradish cheddar & substituting one cup of semolina for the A/P). 

I am still in my lazy place, so I will not reiterate the recipe (link is above, though).  My substitutions was to add a couple of tablespoons of tapenade to the dough instead of the sliced garlic.  I think I used mozzarella and pepperjack as the cheeses. 

On the weather front, fortunately the past few days have brought lots of rain and a break in the opressive heat.  Looks like a beautiful weekend on the horizon, which means the kitchen will re-open for business. 





No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.