2010/09/23

I will not eat green eggs and ham. But green cake????

A couple of weeks ago, on the "day I don't acknowledge", we were at the races watching #1 do her thing.  I had every intention of coming home and making a "dabbler-style cake"; but a migraine and a batch of uncooperative (but very delicious) homemade pumpking ravioli were conspriring against me, so the cake came a day later.  (Although, "the dude" did go and get a very nice lemon curd layer cake - lemon is high on my "like" list). 

The day after the "day that shall not be named", I followed up with "the cake".  Now, the more observant of you may notice that this cake is a little oddly-shaded.  Yes, some of you may even notice the strange green tint.  Yeah.  Green.  As "someone" continually tells me, I don't do normal.  Fortunately, I have a stack of  "not normal" recipes printed out, nicely stacked, waiting for me to try them out.  The good ones get stuck in a plastic sheet and make it into "the book" - the "just ok" or "blech" ones go into the recycle bin (as in recycle the paper, not the recipe). 

Sorry, I wandered way off the trail on that one (and apparently, even stopped paying attention to the trail markers).  Let's see if I can find my way back.  Oh yeah.  Cake.  Green.  Focus, girl, focus.  The reason for the green cake is....  TA DA: Avocado.  Yes, you read it right.  Avocado.  I know, I know.  You are thinking "like, no way - avocados are for guacamole and stuff like that".  And I am saying "like, yes way - it's a creamy ingredient and does not get nearly the amount of attention it deserves".  And you are thinking "but, dude it's cake - that seems so wrong".  And I am saying "try it, try it and you will see -  you might like it".   Hey, when Sam I Am finally tried the green eggs and ham, he became a fan... so why not green cake? 

I have absolutely no idea where I got this recipe from (which is incredibly frustrating).  It had been cut and pasted into a Word document with absolutely clues to its origin.  The recipe was given out as vegan, but carnivore that I am decided to adapt the recipe to include some animal products (i.e. egg, milk).  Plus, I didn't have egg replacer powder and local stores tend not to carry such "oddities".  Sometimes, dabbling just comes out of necessity.  (It has nothing to do with my inability to follow directions.  Nope, none whatsoever.  That's my story and I am sticking to it). 

For those who have a hang up eating green food - the good news is that the crust comes out a beautiful golden color and the inside is only moderately tinged a green color.  The recipe suggested to top it with powdered sugar, but I made a lime glaze to top it with  because I really like the lime/ avocado pairing.  


The cake was very tender and even The Most Particular #2 liked it (and requested a re-make).  Final verdict?  This one will make it's way into a sheet of plastic and get placed in "the book".  The recipe follows for the "culinarily brave". 

Recipe for Avocado Spice Cake w/ Lime Glaze
Adpated from ??? - Dabbler Style

2 2/3 cups unbleached all purpose flour
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder (aluminum free is my preference)
3/4 tsp salt
2 cups less 2 Tbs organic cane sugar (can substitute white sugar if needed)
3/4 tsp ground cinnamon
3/4 tsp ground allspice
1 egg
1/2 cup applesauce
2 large Haas avocados
~3/4 cup soymilk, almond milk or organic milk (total volume of liquids - milk + egg should equal one cup)
zest of 1 lime - grated

Preheat oven to 350F.  Generously grease bundt pan (or 9 x 13 pan).

Combine dry ingredients in large bowl and set aside.  Stir in lime zest.

Place applesauce, egg, avocado, milk into a blender and blend until smooth.  Pour into bowl with dry ingredients and gently stir just to combine ingredients.  Do not overmix.  Pur batter into prepared pan. 

Bake for 35 to 45 minutes - until toothpick or cake tester comes out clean.  (I started checking it at 35 minutes).  Cool for 5-10 minutes in pan.  If using a bundt pan, invert onto cake stand or plate.  Drizzle on glaze (recipe follows) in layers - letting glaze set between applications.  Cool completely before serving.   

Lime glaze

1 1/2 cups confectioners sugar
Juice of two limes
Water, as needed to adjust consistency (or additional lime juice)

Stir juice into conf. sugar until desired consistency is reached.  I like my glaze to be slightly on the thicker side.  If you need to thin it further, use additional lime juice or water in increments of 1 tsp.  If too thin, adjust with extra conf. sugar.  Drizzle over cake. 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.