2010/11/18

Fortunately... (French Fridays with Dorie: Pumpkin-Gorgonzola Flan)

It was one of THOSE days in the kitchen.  I was working on this and this, along with a few other projects that day. 

Fortunately, things went smoothly (when does THAT ever happen?).  Unfortunately, it led to many sinks full of dishes.  Fortunately, a couple of those sink-fulls found a home in the dishwasher.  Unfortunately, as soon as one batch of dishes disappeared, a new batch popped up.   Funny how that works. 


Continued after the break...

Fortunately, one of the recipes I was working on was easy.  VERY, VERY easy.  Unfortuately - wait, there is no unfortunately here.  Just a whole lot of easy - as in blend, sprinkle and bake. 


I was both excited and nervous to try the Pumpkin & Gorgonzola Flan.  Pumpkin = sweet, right?  Like pie.  Or cookies.  Or bread.  Yeah, yeah.  I know it's a squash.  If someone said to make a butternut squash and gorgonzola flan - my first reaction would be "wow, what a great combination".  Scooch (yes, I know that is not a real word) that same idea over to the pumpkin family and I just couldn't wrap my mind around the concept. 

Fortunately, many other brave French Fridays with Dorie participants went there first.  And reported success.  And tips.  And bolstered my confidence.   


By Sunday, I was ready to go...  Once again, essential kitchen items appear to be lacking in my pantry (i.e. ramekins or individual custard cups).  So...I dabbled and used "one great big ramekin" - alright, it really was a casserole dish, but in my mind it was one big ramekin. 


About the time the "ramekin" made it into the oven, I realized that I forgot to roast my nuts.  So, with fingers crossed, I hoped that the oven would roast them for me...  Well, close enough for horseshoes?



Served it up with honey drizzled over it, as suggested.  I would say that this shifted my sweet vs. savory paradigm regarding pumpkin.   Some of the readers included brown-butter sage in their version - definitely insprired and something I would try on a re-make. 

The true test was the feedback from the family.  Both the dude and the girl went back for seconds.  Everyone was in agreement that the honey sent it over the edge from good to really good.  So, don't skip the honey!  Toasted pecans or hazelnuts would have went well.  This one might even end up on the Thanksgiving table. 

If my mind wasn't so fuzzy from just getting off the airplane, I might even have some more thoughts on this.  All I can say is fortunately, this one was another winner. 

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what everyone else is up to!

20 comments:

  1. I didn't roast my walnuts either. Your dish turned out great! Good post!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Im glad you liked it. I made this too but with Sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher that looks amazing. I loved this recipe.I wish we all could have sous chefs that would be heaven on earth...B

    ReplyDelete
  4. Fortunately, I love your post...unfortunately, I read it a week too late and didn't put honey on my flan...which I think would have made the family like it better. Love your writing style!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Glad you enjoyed this one! I sometimes take the cheat of hoping the oven roasts the nuts too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Yes, I agree. This dish needs that sweetness drizzled over the top! At first, we tasted the flans without the honey, and they definitely needed something...and my brain just expects pumpkin to be sweet. Your large size looks like a great side for T-Giving dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Not one of my favorites, but I'm glad you and your family enjoyed it so much! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love that you made one big one! Cool!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I love the "big flan". I might just make it that way for Thanksgiving. Thanks for the inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm glad it turned out well for you. One big 'ramekin' means less cups to wash!

    ReplyDelete
  11. i like that you baked it up in one big dish! i would do that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I loved how easy this recipe was, and am now glad to see that I can make this is a larger dish! Fabulous job

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've been wondering about making it one big "ramekin". Did you change the cooking time?
    Your pictures are mouth watering. I can't wait to make it for next week!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Looks good. I was thinking of concocting something similar so it is funny that I should see this today.

    ReplyDelete
  15. @ Allison - thanks for checking in. I did start checking a few minutes earlier to make sure I didn't over cook and kept a close eye on it toward the end of baking time. The particular dish that I used ended up with a baking time similar to the recipe.
    @ Flourchild - love, love, love the sweet potato idea.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It looks gorgeous in your casserole dish and would look wonderful on a holiday table.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Shhhh, do not tell my husband that it could be done in a big ramekin (and I have one, sure). I sent him to HomeGoods to buy me the individual ones, just for this dish:)

    I would think that you can go without roasting the nuts - the oven temperature would take care of that.

    I also loved the flan. The combination of flavors was amazing. A tasty, simple and fulfilling autumnal dish.

    And next time I will not forget the honey!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Shhh, do not tell my husband that the flan can be made in a big ramekin (I had one of those, sure). I made him go to Home Goods and buy the individual ones, just for this dish:)

    I also loved the flan. It's easy to prepare, with a wonderful balance of flavors - a great autumnal dish.

    Next time I will not forget the honey:)

    ReplyDelete
  19. Fortunately I enjoyed your post very much! There isn't one unfortunate thing I have to say about it. When I made my pumpkin gorgonzola flan, I too found it amazingly easy. Next time though, I think I'll do the honey drizzle like you did. Yours looks so pretty. Glad your family enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  20. @ Kudos Kitchen - aww, you're making me blush. There was a book from my youth called Fortunately (Unfortunately) by Remy Charlip which kept running through my head as I wrote up this post.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.