2010/11/04

Power to the People! (Caramel Semolina Cake)

Freedom of choice!  We voted.  We were heard.  And to top it all off, we even got to pick our own order.

So when it came to the postings for November's French Fridays with Dorie, I went straight for the dessert.  I must admit I felt a little bit like a kid sneaking a bowl of ice cream before eating my dinner.   I didn't have the obligatory "thank you" bite of that dreaded vegetable.  I didn't even eat my meat or pick at my starch.  Nope, when Dorie delegated "power to the people" I went straight for dessert.  
Even better than sneaking dessert before dinner, it really felt like sneaking dessert before breakfast....  But wait!  It's a "cream of wheat cake" - so technically, wasn't I making breakfast???  


Hmmmm.  Cream of Wheat + Milk = Breakfast in my book.  What's that you say?  Caramel is not for breakfast?   Says who?  I always put a little sugar in my cream of wheat back when I was knee high to a tad pole.  And what is caramel?  It's just sugar and water.  HA!  I was pretty excited when I saw that Farina (Cream of Wheat) was the star in this recipe. It was one of my absolute favorite cereals growing up. Just thinking about a nice warm bowl puts a silly grin on my mug.
 

Ah, freedom is a beautiful thing...  Especially when it's amber sugary goodness on the bottom of your pan. 


Breakfast is ready to go in the oven!  Hey - there are raisins in there.  Don't some people put raisins in oatmeal?


Out she comes.  Will she survive the flip?  Uh, kind of... that whole center on the plate part gets me every time.


I think I will set a piece over here for safe keeping while I do laundry...  Hey - it even looks like the picture (always a good sign). 


Uh oh - the house gnomes struck again...


Guess I'll have to make another?  Now that I have had my dessert, maybe next week I can have dinner.

Au revoir!

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what all of the other participating bloggers have been up to!

23 comments:

  1. Your cake looks great! It is just like the picture.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cake looks great! I have the same pan with the ribbed base. It's great for keeping things from sticking, isn't it?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ooh...congrats! Your cake looks exactly like the picture. I have yet to have my food look close the photos in the cookbook. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am really excited to make this, though I didn't have time this week. Yours looks fantastic, but you never told us how it tasted! I'm assuming good, from that empty plate.
    :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. I really liked this cake. I didn't get the oozing caramel. Yours looks delicious:)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Going to try the cake tomorrow. Hope mine looks half as great as yours!

    ReplyDelete
  7. This looks lovely. I might make this next week!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Love the post. I felt like I was right with you the whole way. Beautiful cake Looks Delish!..B

    ReplyDelete
  9. I like your thinkin': farina = breakfast!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your post was very cute and the cake looked great! I made mine this week too...had to have dessert first!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Gorgeous job! I used golden raisins in mine, too!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I can't wait to make this cake! Yours turned out perfect! Did you like it?

    ReplyDelete
  13. I was thinking about skipping ahead straight to dessert but I chose chicken instead :) This look fabulous! I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the way your cake looks. Now I've got to check out that ribbed pan -- I hadn't seen it before.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Cream of Wheat and raisins? Sounds like breakfast to me! Beautiful cake!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks so yummy! Looking forward to trying this recipe ... I've always been a huge fan of cream of wheat!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I agree, completely breakfast food! We ate cream of wheat cooked in milk, with sugar and raisins! My mother got all my kids addicted to farina with chocolate chips! It can work as a dessert, if we really try:)
    I know this cake tasted good, because I know my cream-of-wheat:) Looking forward to making it.
    You know, the kitchen gnomes are a veritable vermin! I have some of those running around, too!

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Dorie - Wow! Thank you.

    Yes - those USA Pans are absolutely positively one of my favorite kitchen items. King Arthur Flour turned me on to them and once I tried using them - there was no turning back!

    ReplyDelete
  19. @ Everyone who asked if I liked the cake - the answer is absolutely yes! I would love to try it with some other fruit. Blueberries come to mind.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Im so glad you made the cake so I could see it before I make it! Im really excited for this one and you made it look so easy! Im making this in a few weeks. Your cake looks just like Dorie's!
    Happy Baking!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your cake looks lovely! I am looking forward to making this (and to eating lots of cream of wheat for breakfast now that there is a box in my pantry).

    ReplyDelete
  22. Gorgeous! I am looking forward to it. It's right up my alley, and I always have farina around.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Gorgeous!!
    Am looking forward to make this one , urs has turned so so well and beautiful!
    We find no cream of wheat here so what i do is make do with semolina:-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.