2010/12/16

"My Go-To Beef Daube" that I never got to go to...

What can a girl say about a dinner that she spent most of an afternoon making, but never sampled? 


She could say that she heard it was very good.  But she couldn't give you first hand testimonial. 


She could tell you that it smelled very good.  But as she lay curled up in a ball in her bed with the pillows over her head, she really didn't care...


She could tell you about the beautiful carmelization of the meat as it was cooked in the renderings of the now crispy bacon. 


She could tell you how beautifully the onions and shallots sizzled in the pan - picking up beautiful color as they cooked down to buttery goodness.  And how the cognac sizzled as it deglazed all the yummy bits from the bottom of the pot.


She could tell you how the carrots and parsnips picked up color and flavor from the aromatics that went before them. 


She could embellish on the addition of the bouquet garni and the reintroduction of the lovely caramelized beef to the pot. 


She could also speak to how bottle of Shiraz that was slowly poured in.

[Halt!  I must take a little detour for a rant.  When I went to the store to pick up a bottle of red for this, I asked the proprietor if he had any Syrah in stock.  He didn't know what a Syrah was...  UGH.  Even I knew that and I am the most unschooled, least likely wine connesieur there is.  So, I took the Shiraz - because it was a fruity red and I knew it would be a good stand in.  But come on, people.  If you run a store like that, know your products....  Ok.  Rant over.]


She would also speak of how relativley non-complex this dish was to prepare - even though it did have several layers of preparation.  She would also express how grateful she was that once the initial prep work was done, this dish really required very little intervention.  Which was wonderful, because this girl popped her bread into the oven when she started prepping and as the crusty loaves exited, popped the daube into the oven.  Left instructions with the "downstairs help" on when to stir.  Set the timer and climbed into her bed and pulled the covers as high as they would go. 

And since you all are very, very, very lucky, this girl will not elaborate on WHY she never got to "go to" the "My Go-To Beef Daube", but she will instead focus on the gratification of those who did get to "go-to" and relay their appreciation for this particular dish. 

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what all the FFwD bloggers have been up to!

20 comments:

  1. @ YC. Hi - my computed did a crash and I lost your comment. But thanks. Fortunately, it was only a couple of days of miserable-ness. I will try this again someday. (And go to a different store to find my wine...)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, you poor thing! Did you have the flu? It sounds like the flu...bravo for toughing through this, then! Yikes!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher, you are my hero - toughing it out when you're feeling poorly! Looks lovely, though, and I'm jealous of your blue dutch oven. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a total bummer! So sorry you were sick and missed eating this yummy stew. You will definitely have to make it again. Hope you are all better now!! (PS...your post was way cute!)

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh! Your post makes me cry that you didn't get to enjoy this one! You must MUST make it again (and again!)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Booooo to being sick...yeah for making such a nice dish..sorry you didn't get to enjoy..it sure looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. The daube looks wonderful - I hope you're feeling better! :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I wish my posts were as in depth and pithy when I feel fine. Good job!
    Renée

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh dear, you were sick! You need to make this again. I recommend prepping it one day and throwing it together the next. It IS a long process. I had a similar wine experience. I asked for a coastal syrah and was presented with something "unstructured". Huh?

    ReplyDelete
  10. I can't believe you made this while sick! Kudos to you though because it looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I hope you are feeling okay, Cher. What a trooper you are to fix such a lovely meal and I am sure those who benefited are forever grateful. AND you made bread?! Amazing! Freshly baked bread with this must have just been wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hope you're feeling better. The daube is really delicious. For what it's worth, a shiraz is a syrah. I just happened to have a Sonoma syrah in my wine rack, so I dusted it off and made good use of it.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Sorry you didn't get to sample this one! It was yummy! Yours looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Awww…So sorry you were sick…can't believe you still made the stew! You will have to make it again and enjoy the wonderful flavor of this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I can't believe how beautiful your photos are and how much you got done before "crashing". My hero. I am sure you slept well (all things considered) knowing what a fabulous treat you left for the "downstairs help". Great job !

    ReplyDelete
  16. You are quite something! I cannot imagine making the bread and cooking the beef daube would be on my list if I were as sick as you were (I cannot trust the "downstairs help" with my recipes, especially Dorie's:)
    But it does look good, even if you did not get to sample:)
    I hope you feel better1

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm sorry that you didn't get to taste this yummy dish! You'll have to amke it again, because it's one of the best meat dishes I've ever had!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I love your post, and your photos. I'm so sorry you didn't get to enjoy it. Your daube looks fabulous. I didn't make this one yet. BTW, I think Shiraz and Syrah are the same grape so you made the perfect choice, in spite of your uninformed wine store guy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I do hope you're feeling better soon! And that someone makes the go to beef for you to try when you're better!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It's too bad you missed out on that daube, because it looked amazing. And you're amazing for managing to make it, along with homemade bread, when you were feeling terrible. I hope your recipients took good care of you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.