2010/12/29

Potatoes in a Springform Pan - Who Knew??? (Crusted Potato Gratin)


I first saw this here...which took me back to the original recipe in Southern Living magazine.


Of course, it called to me.  Potatoes gratin - but with a twist.  It was quirky - and everyone knows that quirky and I go together like roast beef on rye!


Layer the regular Plain Janes with lovely golden Sweet Potatoes.  Add a crust - not just any crust.  Two pie crusts with a hidden layer of cheese in between. 


Add more cheese between the layers and of course, on top.  Don't forget the beautiful bath of garlic infused cream.  MMMMMMM....

Bake until they are a beautiful golden brown. 



Added bonus - the recipe called for a springform pan.  Coincidentally, I had just picked up a new Caphalon springform at Marshalls for a crazy steal a few days prior.  Of course, it needed to be tried out. 

Wait for it to cool down and watch everyone's eyes widen in amazement as it graces the Holiday table. 


This recipe was definitely worth another go-round.  Next time through, I would modify by using a homemade pie crust (I think I am almost past my fear of them, having successfully navigated a few this season) and I would cut the rosemary back in half or eliminate it altogether.  Maybe a light amount of sage or thyme would be a good substitute.  I switched up the cheeses from the recipe and added more cream than the recipe called for.  After making Dorie's gratin a few times, I knew that the amount the original recipe called for just wouldn't do (Another reason to love Dorie - once you make her recipes, all of your other recipes just seem to come out better.  She must be rubbing some smart on me through her cookbooks). 

Potato Gratin w/ Rosemary Crust
Southern Living - December 2010

Ingredients

1 (14.1-oz.) package refrigerated piecrusts (next time through, I would use fresh)
1/4 tsp freshly ground pepper
2 cups shredded cheese (I used Gruyere, Parmesean & Swiss) 
1 1/2 pounds gold potatoes
1 1/2 pounds sweet potatoes
1 tsp kosher salt
1 cup heavy cream
3 garlic cloves, minced

Preparation


Preheat oven to 450°. Unroll piecrusts on a lightly floured surface. Sprinkle pepper, and 1/2 cup cheese over 1 piecrust; top with remaining piecrust. Roll into a 13-inch circle. Press on bottom and up sides of a 9-"springform pan; fold edges under. Chill.

Meanwhile, peel and thinly slice potatoes (a mandolin is a great idea here...).  Alternate potato layers (gold potatoes, sweet potatoes, pinch of salt) - sprinkling with 1/4 cup cheese at the end of each rotation.  Repeat layers twice (you may need to slightly press down to make them fit better). 

Heat cream & garlic in a small saucepan over low to medium heat - do not boil.  Pour over potato layers in pan. You may need to add a little extra cream.  Sprinkle with remaining 3/4 cup cheese. Cover pan with heavy-duty aluminum foil. Place on a baking sheet.

Bake at 450° for ~1 hour. Uncover and bake another 25 minutes or until potatoes are done and crust is golden. Let stand 10 -15 minutes. Carefully transfer to a serving plate, and remove sides of springform.  Carefully slide gratin off bottom of pan using (I like to use a cake spatula). 

2 comments:

  1. Wow. Yum! Love the combination of Yukon and sweet potatoes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have been looking for this recipe all morning! Thanks Google for bringing me here and that you referenced S.L. I have all of their cookbooks and you took me right there. I don't remember making mine with a crust though. Strange. Anyway...thanks!
    Laurie

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.