2010/12/21

A spicy tart surprise (Chipotle-Cranberry Sauce)

Back in November when I posted on the cranberry sauce I had made, I received a comment from Beth at thescreenporch that started my mind a percolating...

I could take these...  (there are still many bags sitting in my freezer waiting for the next great idea)


And add these and these....  (Limes & chipotles).  Way to use those ninja knife skills...


It was a little wacky.  But something about it worked.  I knew I liked the cranberry-lime combination.  I also knew I liked the lime-chipotle combination.  Why not go for broke and make it a three-way?  I am always seeking out new ways to use up that little can of chipotle in adobo.  It seems like I open a can, take out two or three to make tortilla soup or enchiladas or something, while the remainder sits in the refrigerator waiting.  And waiting.  And wondering when they will get their turn. 



It was really rather simple.  Water & sugar.  Boil.  Add cranberries.  Boil.  Lime & chipoltles.  Boil.  Watch berries pop and leave little red sticky sugary spots ALL OVER the stove and microwave and counter that you just cleaned...

Can 'em up.  Boil some more.  (Be a good planner and make sure you have enough jars in the house or you end up with a partial batch that has no where to go...)



Wait for the sound of the tops sucking in.  Klink, klunk.  Time to rest...


Cranberry Sauce - Dabbler Style
(with added inspiration from Beth @ The Screen Porch)

8 cups fresh cranberries
4 cups sugar
4 cups water
2 limes, thinly sliced, then halved
1 tbs adobo sauce
2 chipotles in adobo (seeds removed), finely chopped

Bring water and sugar to boil in a large heavy duty sauce pan. Boil hard for ~5 mintutes.

Add cranberries and citrus slices to boiling water. Return to boil and hard boil for ~ 15 minutes - or until most of the cranberries have burst. Stir frequently (and keep an eye on your pot - things get a little foamy/ messy if you don't keep an eye on things). Half way through cooking time, add chipotles and adobo sauce (if you are canning, you may proceed with canning steps at this time).

If serving, transfer to bowl. Cool to almost room temperature. Refrigerate 3-4 hours before serving.
 
I canned this batch and it yielded eight 8-oz jars, two 4-oz jars and I had about a cup and a half left over (as noted, I ran out of jars - bad planning...)

1 comment:

  1. Wow. Impressive! Looks delicious. Makes me want to get more familiar with canning foods!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.