2010/12/09

Triumph (Speculoos)

This week's FFwD brought me face to face with my nemesis again.  If I were a superhero (wearing my snazzy cape of course - and with my superpower ring, although I am not sure what power this ring would give me), the evil villain that we shall name "Rolled-out Dough" would be standing over me sporting an evil sneer and bellowing out his most EEEE-VIL laugh.  "Mwah, ha, ha.  Mwah, ha, ha" would roar from his lips....



But remember, in this scene, I am the superhero - sporting my ring, of course.  And we all know that the superhero eventually prevails.  No matter what challenges are faced along the way.  Even when facing the most evil and feared Rolled-out Dough.  (By the way, I started writing this after watching a Spongebob episode featuring Barnacle Boy and Mermaid Man - but I am sure they didn't influence my train of thoughts...  Nope, not even possible.  Although, if our hero had to choose, I am sure she would much rather be like a Power Puff Girl than something named after something stuck to the bottom of a ship - who wouldn't want to be a Blossom or a Buttercup?)

So when it was time to make these cookies, our brave hero (that would be me) formed the obligatory patty (or dough disk).  Unseen by all but our hero, the disk was rolled out between sheets of wax paper before being placed into the refrigerator for "The Cool down".  Of course, our villainous Rolled-out Dough does not know that the wax paper is part of our super-hero's plan to will him into submission.     


Wham.  Kerplunk. Pow.  Kaboom.


(Insert Deep Voice of Narrator) "Yes, our mighty hero has conquered the dreadful Rolled-out Dough and turned into little piles of goodness.  Children everywhere can sleep easy tonight and not fear being stuck with [insert dramatic pause] 'an Ugly Cookie'."  [Fades out to theme music].


Disclaimer: the author of this post does not really think of her self in terms of being a superhero.  All superhero inferences are purely for literary effect.  But making a really good cookie does have the effect of making the author of this post feel like she has a super power.  Which is kind of the same thing, right? 



This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what the other FFwDers are up to!

25 comments:

  1. Your cookies held their shapes perfectly and look beautiful. Yeah for superheros! :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I think I'm going to roll mine into a log and slice them.

    It saves me a mess on the counter, and I'm lazy.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your cookies look great! Isn't it a good feeling to make the attempt and be successful? That's one of the reasons I love trying new recipes... for the learning experience. I'm excited to make these-I love a good spice cookie. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful! Love the star shape. I made these last week and loved them. Angie

    ReplyDelete
  5. Awesome job, Super Cookie Maker! You're right - making a really good cookie DOES make you feel like a superhero. Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ha ha, you're facing all kinds of kitchen fears these days! Congrats on successful rolled-out-cookie-dough-making! You faced it like a true hero! I'm hoping to try these today, also. Wish me luck!

    Cheers,
    Karla

    ReplyDelete
  7. cookie making superhero is the best kind!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Well you ARE a superhero if you don't back down while facing your nemisis! LOVED your post! Its great when these recipes make us so creative in our writing too!
    Trevor Sis. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oh im so excited about these too!
    My dough sits in the refrigeration and am baking these tomorow!
    Can imagine how good the home is gng to smell and the dough already taste sooo good!
    love ur pretty stars!

    ReplyDelete
  10. These look great; a choice I almost made too; just love that name!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Such a cute narrative! I have the rolled out dough in my refridgerator right now just waiting to be cut and baked when I get home today! Hopefully it will turn out as well as yours! - Laura

    ReplyDelete
  12. Loved the superhero theme! I'm glad you overcame your nemesis, Rolled-Out Dough!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Babe your roll out cookie dough is my raw chicken and I gotta say: You are a SUPERHERO!

    ReplyDelete
  14. How cute!!! I hadn't thought to use cut out shapes with this recipe but will now!

    ReplyDelete
  15. The only way to conquer your fear is to jump right in…My fear use to be pie crust. My mom was the best at pies and I had a huge fear of them. Eventually I got it. Congratulations!! Your cookies look wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Does your superhero alter ego look anything like those Radio shack heroes? Cuz that would rock! ;) Seriously though your cookie rock!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are a total riot! I laughed all the way through. I do, however consider you a super hero because your rolled out dough and your Speculoos look amazing! Nice work for sure!!!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Very cute post! I think I need you to come over and save me...as I have the same bad guy hanging out at my house. Maybe I'll be brave and try these next week...since you were able to conquer him!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Gret looking cookies! Im excited to make these! I made the nuts this round.

    ReplyDelete
  20. This was hilarious ! The best part is that everyone can relate - there is always something that we "fear" and it is not always the obvious when it comes to cooking. I had bad experiences making mashed potatoes in a Cuisnart and attempting to grill sausage on a BBQ. Both were ugly :) Your star speculoos looked gorgeous. Kudos to you !! Tricia

    ReplyDelete
  21. Yesssssss! Roll Out The Dough are the four most feared words you can read in a recipe! Clearly you showed that dough who's boss. Your cookies look great!

    ReplyDelete
  22. must admit that i'm a little scared of rolled out dough as well ... plus it always seems more time consuming to make a rolled cookie rather than a drop. but yours turned out beautifully. i hope to have similar success!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Love the stars! All Hail Super Hero Speculoos Baker!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Love the post - so funny! Glad you overcame your Nemesis, too. And your star-shaped cookie cutter is the perfect shape!

    Thanks for the comment on my blog - I agree that we all need more orange at this time of year. :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh my, I was going to just make a log & slice it. My kids might like it better if I made cute shapes like yours! But I really am terrible at cutouts...your post is making me reconsider!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.