2010/12/30

'Twas the Night Before Christmas... (Spiced Butter-Glazed Carrots)

'Twas the night before Christmas, when all through the house
Not a creature was stirring, and we (I) were all glad there was no mouse;
The "kitchen help" was preparing that night's meal with care,
In hopes that the hungry urchins soon would be there;

The children were in the living room playing their Wii,
Their faces a glowing as they played Monkey Bowling;
As I stirred the night's dinner as I listened to them clap,
And wished I could settle down for a long winter's nap,
 


But I was off in the kitchen making a clatter,
Hey - how else is a girl going to make Tiramasu cake batter?
Away to the stovetop I flew like a flash,
There was some cooking garlic I needed to smash.

One recipe left for the month of December,
"Spiced carrots or bust" was my mantra, I remember
For French Fridays with Dorie, I had started this mission,
It just wouldn't do to leave one recipe missing.
 

The herb-crusted beef tenderloin was in the oven roasting,
And sitting right next to it the rosemary crusted potato gratin was a'toasting. 
The Tiramisu Cake was resting in the refrigerator with glory. 
But alas!  Don't forget there is one more player in this story...

A dash of salt and some pepper.  Now where is that ginger?
Dice the onion so nicely, but look out for that finger.
The carrots were peeled and waiting nicely their turn. 
Keep an eye on that stove - we don't want them burned.!


Carrots were simmering in stock when I heard the timer beep,
Must take the beef out of the oven, before I screw it up like a creep. 
Just a few minutes longer before its time for the potatoes to go,
They need their rest before serving too, don't you know?

While the little orange nuggets finished their chicken-broth bath
It was time to set the table and mentally prepare for the clean up aftermath.
After all that work, I felt like I deserved a reward;
But it was almost time for The Dude to bring out the carving board.



It was now time for dinner and my nerves were twitchin',
Would all my hard work pay off in the kitchen?
The Dude began to carve the tenderloin.  He took the first slice. 
Had I recaptured it's value?  Would it be worth the price?

The beef was just perfect - a nice medium rare;
I quickly exhaled - no need for despair.
Time to slice the potatoes, let's see how that goes?
Lovely orange and white layers, such pretty little rows. 


One more dish for dinner; would it hold up to the show?
Time for the carrots, there were finally ready to go. 
The first bite went over the tongue and into the belly,
I hope they aren't gooey, like pudding or jelly.

Whew!  They were good and went well with the food,
Much to the surprise and delight of The Dude;
I could now sit and eat, but wait - where's the horseradish sauce?
Minor crisis averted, as I gave the ingredients a quick toss. 



With dishes in the sink, off to church we did take
And when we got back, it would be time for cake.
The service was lovely; there was lots of singing.
But I imagine it was cake 'bout which the Little Ones were thinking.

The cake was laid out and the dishes were done. 
Much to my consternation, Wii was played until well after one.
But this momma was tired; she had to get up at five;
So I said HAPPY CHRISTMAS TO ALL, AND TO ALL A GOOD-NIGHT!


Happy New Year, all!  Have a safe Holiday. 
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Stop by and check out what everyone else has been up to over this Holiday Season!

13 comments:

  1. Nice write up. Very clever. Perhaps a bit more Suess than Moore, but it worked.

    Happy new year!

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a terrific poem! Great job...I feel like I just spent Christmas Eve with you and now I'm exhausted too! Happy New Year!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. How adorable! Amazing - a fabulous dinner and literary talent too!

    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love your post! I loved the carrots and can't wait to make them again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cute poem and yummy looking carrots!!
    Happy New year..I hope 2011 is a good one for you and yours!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. What fun to write a post in a poem! I'm jealous! And jealous of the dish as well. I should have made this one...sigh...
    Trevor Sis. Boom.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I loved your poem! So glad everything came out so well. How as that Tiramisu cake? That sounded really good too! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  8. The carrots look wonderful, but I am loving the poem more:) How clever! I appreciate the effort! Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ All - Thanks. It was fun to do.

    @ Gaaaarp - I am probably a whole lot more Suess than Moore, so I guess you were right on!

    @ Betsy - the cake was really good. Will post on it soon. Stay tuned!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great post and a wonderful-sounding Christmas Eve dinner.

    Happy New Year - I'm looking forward to all the FFWD adventures we'll have in 2011.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Wonderful post - the poem is fantastic.
    Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.