2011/01/20

Silly Me... (Michael Rostang's Double Chocolate Mousse Cake)

I hang my head in shame...  You see, it's like this...  When I saw the recipe for Double Chocolate Mousse Cake in the book, I wasn't very excited by it.  I saw the words "chocolate" and "mousse" and quickly turned the page.  I probably didn't even fully open the page - just gave it a half peek and passed on by.  Yeah, I know what you are thinking... 


I was even less enchanted when this hit the docket for January's FFwD.  But, clearly, I am a dolt for doubting the combination of Dorie + chocolate.  Some things just shouldn't be questioned.  Kind of like the existence of gravity...   Or taxes...  Or the inexplicable sink full of dishes that accumulates in my house while I am at work all day that "I Don't Know" or "Wasn't Me" put there....  (If I ever catch up to those two hooligans...)


In my defense, I must say this: I am not a huge chocolate fan.  I like well enough when it plays supporting roles.  I think it plays some very fine parts; but given my druthers I would not cast it in a leading role...  (Let's face it, it's no George Clooney in my book).  Sure, if you want to pair chocolate with orange or lemon or raspberry - I am right there there with you sister (or brother).  But chocolate just to eat chocolate is a "take it or leave it" for me. 


I proceeded along in my state of "chocolate closed-mindedness" looking for other ways to get excited about making a chocolate cake.  Hey - at least it gave me a chance to work with my new 8" springform... I needed to get my cost per use down on this pan that I spent a "little" more than I planned on.  [I have a silly ROI fomula that I set for myself with kitchen purchases that divides cost by number of uses - I mentally flagellate myself on said purchase until I am well on my way to a cost of less than 1$ per use.  The current ROI on this pan is probably still in the 10+$ range.  But it was a really, really nice pan...]  Now that my ears are all red with embarrassment, I shall continue on...


And because I appear to be already in the groove of making confessions here, I have two more to make.  One of which will have to nodding your head in agreement that I am a dolt; the other one I hope will negate the first one and send me down the road to "genius-dom".  Since I wasn't enthralled with the recipe (we've already established that I am an idiot for doubting the Dorie/ chocolate combination), I used the little squares of bittersweet baker's chocolate that were languishing in the far corner of my cabinet.  Yes, let's say it together: "What a dolt!" - I should have broken out the good stuff.  On the genius side, I did decide to add a 1/2 tsp of Cayenne in with the chocolate.  [Claps hands]



Preparation was simple.  I did have a few minor mishaps - mostly due to my own negligence...  But things went smoothly overall. 


I decided to serve this warm - since my foolish state of "chocolate closed-mindedness" left me thinking that I would be underwhelmed.  (I had an emergency side of ice cream waiting in the wings in case I needed help bringing all that chocolateness into balance).  Silly me.  Silly, silly me.


The Karate Kid was stalking me throughout the process waiting patiently on the opposite side of the island - start to finish.  She is my chocolate lover - so I thought I would let the "excited one" try it first.  (She is also my fussy child, so I often use her as a barometer.)   I served up a sliver - she took her first bite.  Then her second bite.  Good sign, right?  At which point, she tilted her head, looked up at me and said "this is pretty good, mom, you should have some".  

Still expecting to be underwhelmed (remember, the pre-established dolt-dom), I cut myself the obligatory small slice and took my first bite... and finally realized that I am such a clabber-head.  Because this was good.  Very, very good.  Like - "break out the good chocolate" good.  Yeah, it was like that... Underwhelmed to overwhelmed in ten seconds. 

Fortunately, it was just The Karate Kid and I in the house that night, so we didn't have to share the fruits of our labor.  And then another realization hit me.  If the cake was this good with the mediocre chocolate, I can't imagine what the results would have been like with the good stuff. 

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what all the other bloggers have been up to!

29 comments:

  1. LOL at your story...glad you ended up enjoying it :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a great idea to add 1/2 teaspoon of cayenne! I'm writing that down in my book to try for next time!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute post! I'm not a huge chocolate fan either. I was satisfied but not thrilled with this cake. Loved your addition of cayenne to spice it up though.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Since Chocolate is my George Clooney - I say a t-shirt and jeans GC is still hot. When you make it next time and you do break out the good stuff and George is all suited up (Oceans 11 suited up - sigh) I'd make certain the Karate Kid is out of the house too. I'm making mine tonight! George here I come.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Such a fun and clever post! So glad it all turned out...and yes...it is fabulous with great chocolate too!

    ReplyDelete
  6. LOL - glad this cake was a George Clooney for you. The pepper sounds like a great addition.

    ReplyDelete
  7. You are just going to have to make it again, Cher! I it the other two ways just to see which way I like it best. I always enjoy reading your posts. I'm glad you and your daughter enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Wonderful post - you had me laughing! And I love the addition of cayenne - I'll have to try that next time.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Oooh, cayenne! Good one! I think I might try this again with some cinnamon - I love a chocolate/cinnamon combination.

    So glad you liked it, tho - it really is delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cher you continue to crack me up ! Cayenne is brilliant. What a great idea. I love that hint of spice. Looks so yummy. B:)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cayenne is my secret ingredient in desserts. Don't tell anyone but I've been adding it to Marie-Helene's applecake lately as well.

    ReplyDelete
  12. It look so moist, glad you all liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I made the mistake of using baking chocolate too. In the future I will use the good stuff to make cakes like this. Fun post!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love the post, I'm still laughing. And so clever to add the pepper-next time I'm trying that. Mine is in the oven now so I'm just going to daydream about George until it's done. Beautiful job.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I am still soo not in chocolate mode yet, so I'm happy to live vicariously through your efforts! I think when/if I make this, there's gonna be some kinda booze in it. Maybe Baileys. Well done!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think next time I'll add some different spices too to kick this up another notch! Great job!!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Yum, glad you liked the cake. AWESOME idea to add cayenne-sounds amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Oh my goodness. I enjoyed reading your post very much. You're are charming and funny! I enjoyed the fact that you got to bust out your 8" spring form pan and the addition of cayenne is something I would have never thought of. You are brilliant in my book :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I used the good chocolate - the Scharffen Berger chocolate. It was divine, but you added the cayenne - that was genius!! Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I haven't made it yet but I definitely will--with the good stuff. I'm glad Dorie converted you!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Ha ha , ur cute not a dolt!
    Aint a big chocolate fan too , in the sense i love something with chocolate in but not entirely chocolate ,so my world peace cookies are vanilla with chocolate and i dont like dark chocolate either , still i totally fell in loveee with this cake and all my experiments and have to bake this again:-)))
    I enjoy my springforms too , the new ones:-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. And i have an earnest request to u too:-)

    My blog has been nominated for best if Indian Food blog awards and is the only goans food blog:-))
    there is a poll , right on FB
    http://poll.fm/f/2mwyb

    And u can also vote for me here at my site

    Im 4th from Below or number 14 , Bright Morning Star! —http://brightmorningstarsfoodie.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  23. Very funny! A good springform pan is worth every penny because a crummy one will ruin a recipe and make a mess of your oven and cost you more in the long run. Using cayenne was clever . . . nice job.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Cayenne - you are a genius! I think that more than makes up for using the less-good chocolate.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Glad you liked it! Lucky you having an 8" springform pan already - I guess I need to buy one and then make this cake a bunch of times to "justify" it. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love your story! I can also see how it would be easy to pass over this recipe, if you're not a chocolate fan. Also, that cayenne idea? I'm so using that the next time! Thanks!

    ReplyDelete
  27. your cake looks perfect. i am in love with this recipe and cannot wait to make it for company!

    ReplyDelete
  28. an expensive chocolate is definitely in line for the recipe, esp if you have chocolate loving friends you'd like to impress. try it chilled. warm was great but chilled was amazing!!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This was my one, and only, total FFWD flop! I was so upset that I didn't even blog about it. Your cake, on the other hand, is gorgeous!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.