2011/01/09

Winter... (Mini Spinach & Mushroom Quiche)

Now that I am working on going meat-free a couple of days a week, I have found that on days that I am consuming meat, I am using it more as a garnish or accent.  I am sure there will be days when nothing but a big, fat medium-rare steak will do; but in the mean time, I am enjoying the challenge of meat playing a supporting role vs. the lead actor. 



I have made these little spinach & mushroom quiches a couple of times now (both with and without the proscuitto garnish).   The last time I made them, it was fairly early in the morning - which meant I was lucky to remember to get a shot of the final product, let alone in process photos...  They can be served at room temperature, which makes them great for entertaining (i.e. brunch); and since they are baked in muffin cups, their portion is perfect.  They also reheat nicely - make ahead breakfast anyone???

The original recipe calls for turkey bacon - which I have really tried to like, but my final verdict is a resounding "Blech".  I think that a couple of ounces of thinly sliced proscuitto which have been crisped up make a nice replacement for the TB.  (I used ~1/8 of a pound or some other miniscule amount - just enough to lend a salty kick, but not enough to weigh down the dish).  This dish is lightened up by substituting egg whites for a portion of the eggs and by using skim milk.  The recipe & link is at the bottom of this post. 

On a totally unrelated note, here are a couple of shots from Friday's snow storm.  I guess the Southern Adirondacks finally decided to get on board with the fact that it's winter...


It was all rather lovely - at least until the snow plows came through.  And sanded.  And salted.  And slushed.  My car SOOOOOOOOOOO needs a bath now.  This is the back deck somewhere between the second and third shoveling.  A few more inches came down after I took these pictures. 


I am not a huge snow fan, but there is something special about the way freshly fallen snow coats everything in a blanket of whiteness.  At least until the plows came through... 

Happy Winter!


Ingredients



Cooking spray
6 strips proscuitto
2 Tbs olive oil
10 oz coarsely chopped mushrooms (I used portabella)
1 small shallot, minced
Kosher salt & freshly ground black pepper
2 cups baby spinach
Pinch freshly grated nutmeg
6 large eggs
1/4 cup milk
1/3 cup (1 1/2 ounces) grated Gruyere cheese


Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F. Lightly grease a 12-cup nonstick muffin pan with nonstick cooking spray.

Cook proscuitto until crisp in a small skillet.  Crumble into pieces - set aside to drain on a towel.

In the same skillet, heat the oil. Add the mushrooms, shallot, and season to taste with salt and pepper. Cook until shallots are soft and the mushrooms are dry and lightly browned, ~10 minutes. Remove from the heat - stir in the baby spinach and nutmeg until the spinach is just wilts (should still be bright green).  Cool slightly.

In a medium bowl, whisk the eggs, milk, and salt and pepper until well combined. Stir in the cheese. Divide the egg mixture evenly between the muffin tins, filling them about halfway. Top evenly with the mushroom and spinach mixture and then the chopped proscuitto.

Bake until ~20-25 minutes - until the quiches are well risen, golden brown. Cool in the pan 5 minutes and then transfer to a wire rack. Best slightly warm, but can be eaten at room temperature.

1 comment:

  1. These look delicious, especially with the prosciutto garnish!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.