2011/02/17

Green Bean Love (Pancetta Green Beans & Salmon w/ Blood Orange Sauce)

Hi.  I just wanted to say that I like green beans. 

Even as a little "peep", I would gobble these up off my plate.  What's not to like?  They are green and crunchy and green.  And green.  (A color that I have not seen in nature in a very long time, I might add...)  Have I mentioned that they are green?


Well, these beans are kind of green...  Mid-February "fresh" produce in the Northeast isn't always quite so fresh...  Which is why adding bacon (or pancetta in this case) & walnut oil is a smart idea.  Because, bacon makes everything better, right???


I don't know about where you're from, but up here (pronounced: he-ah), we don't cater to such high 'falutin' foods like PAN-chet-TA.  Well - at least that is the impression one would get, because finding it was not the simplest task.  Fortunately, I did find a grocer who had little packets of the "chopped" variety lurking in the recesses of the deli-section.  (I probably should have been scared or at least skeptical.)  Based on that tidbit, it should probably come as no surprise when I admit this was my first time working with pancetta... 


The "beans" had originally decided that they were going to be a simple side for a rather involved Sunday repast...  (Food calls its own shots in my house.)  But, life turned those plans inside out and they ended up as a side to an equally simple dinner of salmon (although I did manage to throw together a rather tasty blood orange sauce) and plain 'ole white rice (the original plan called for a brown basmatti rice dish, but by the time I made it that far, the "world" was considering themselves fortunate to see the "Minute Rice" on the table). 


All's well that ends well.  And all that.  Dinner made it on to the table.  Food was enjoyed by all.  Oh, and I like green beans.  Add some crispy pork bits to them and "like" crosses the border into the "love" territory.  Just sayin'


Salmon w/ Shallots & Blood Orange Sauce

2.5 to 3 pounds Salmon fillets, divided into even pieces and trimmed to consistent size (skin still on)
1 cup blood orange juice (from ~5-6 blood oranges)
2 shallots, sliced thin
2 Tbs butter
2-3 Tbs olive oil
Salt & Pepper to taste
Pinch Cayenne

Thoroughly pat dry salmon and season liberally with salt & pepper(s). 

Preheat large non-stick skillet @ med-high to high heat; once skillet is hot add butter & olive oil.  Once fats have had a chance to heat up, place fish "meat" side down in pan.  Cook for ~5-7 minutes.  If you dried your fish well, you should have a nice sear on by this point.  Using a large spatula carefully flip fish over and cook on "skin" side until salmon is cooked through (~4-5 minutes depending on thickness of salmon).   (My salmon was ~ 1" thick - thinner salmon will require less cooking time....)

Once salmon is cooked to desired doneness, remove from pan and cover loosely with foil.  Still @ medium-high heat, add sliced shallots to pan and cook until just crispy (add a little more butter if needed).  Once shallots are cooked through, add orange juice and reduce to ~1/2 cup.  Distribute evenly over cooked fish pieces. 

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what all the other "bean counters" have been up to this week...

31 comments:

  1. I like your process photos! Thanks for the extra recipe!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your salmon sounds delicious!! And, of course, your green beans look wonderful...

    ReplyDelete
  3. It looks great, even if it isn't the meal you first started out to make.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful photo! I like your pairing. The blood orange sauce sounds delightful. Blood oranges get me through winter every year.

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a wonderful meal and your sauce sounds yum.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your green beans looks great, even if you had to hunt for pancetta.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I forgot to add in my comment that I awarded you the sisterhood of world bloggers award. http://inpursuitofhobby.blogspot.com/2011/02/sisterhood-of-world-bloggers.html

    ReplyDelete
  8. I adore all things that are green :-)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Looks like a delicious dinner! These green beans can go with so many things. I'm glad you were able to find some pancetta and try cooking with something new.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great greenbeans! I never thought I would put a post on my blog about Greenbeans!HA! It just shows how amazing Dorie is!!
    Your meal looks great!!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I guess one shouldn't take pancetta for granted! While it is readily available here, I don't buy it too often, but now it might be on my weekly list. This dish was very popular in my house. We keep eating them with our fingers for appetizers, but one day they will make it the dinner table as a side dish and I hope they will look as wonderful as your dinner.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I definitely take for granted living in CA and the availability of nice produce and gourmet products...but those blood oranges you managed to find are absolutely gorgeous. The tiny ones I used for the orange almond tart didn't have that rich color. Looks like an amazing dinner you enjoyed!

    ReplyDelete
  13. As usual, great post ! We enjoyed the green beans in our house as well but I love what you served them with (mine were with pork chops because that is what hubby bought from Costco and I needed to get them cooked.....). My kids love salmon but I could really use some different ways to prepare so I am loving this post- will try this salmon dish for sure. And that top photo is especially amazing.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post and that salmon sounds delicious with the blood orange sauce-- a great pairing with the beans! Thanks for your compliment on my blue platter-- it comes from Home Goods, my favorite place for kitchen stuff. That place is dangerous for me!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great photos! The whole meal looks good. I love blood oranges. I served the beans with lamb chops and mashed potatoes.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Wow-totally distracted by the salmon and the blood orange sauce-yum! Your beans look wonderful. I loved this recipe too:)

    ReplyDelete
  17. I love all of these people who've been incorporating blood oranges into their recipes over the past couple of weeks. I've been inspired, but I can't find a blood orange to save my life!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Aaah! That's what I was thinking! A beautifully grilled salmon! And that slowly turned into salmon fishcake's once I began imagining all the "but why do we have to eat that?!" from the kiddies!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your beans certainly look perfectly delicious. The recipe sounds wonderful as well. I hope you have a great day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  20. Glad to hear that the pancetta from your grocer was just fine. Do you think you'll cook with it again? Also, blood orange sauce sounds mightly tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I would never have a problem eating my veggies if they all looked like this!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for sharing the salmon recipe - the sauce sounds amazing! Your beans turned out really well, too. Wasn't it nice to have a simple recipe this week? Especially since next week's will be a two-day affair...

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your dinner looks terrific! What a great idea to make a blood orange sauce.

    ReplyDelete
  24. That salmon dish looks great! Wish I could taste that sauce. Can you believe I've never had a blood orange in my hands? They can't be found in this island :(

    ReplyDelete
  25. Oh, how many days have I had the snotty food decide which way to go, as if i did not exist! I can relate, really:) We have a pretty good source for green beans in our local Persian store, but, alas, no pancetta. Husband managed to scare some 3oz packaged, sliced thinly at "Albertson's". I personally love pancetta (well, there is not a porcine product I do not like) and thought that it elevated this dish to another level. I love green beans, too, but yellow wax and romano beans I love just a bit more:)

    ReplyDelete
  26. LOVED your post! Short and sweet. I love green beans too so this dish was perfect! Can't wait to read your post next week.

    ReplyDelete
  27. Oh yum Blood Orange Sauce!!! I use those packets of pre chopped pancetta in lots and lots of things. If fact there is usually a package in my freezer all the time to spruce up scrambled eggs, brussels sprouts, etc.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Enjoyed your post and your photos are great.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.