2011/02/10

What do you do when things go well? (Orange Almond Tart)

I am not sure about you, but kitchen "issues" are so common place in my house that I never know quite what to do when things go... perfectly.  I know that's probably extremely weird a little strange, but when you are used to operating in "recovery mode" (aka "crisis management mode"), words like "smooth" and "easy" might as well belong to a dead language...


I blame my job for this...  The day-in/ day-out routine of functioning amidst chaos has kind of ruined me for... normalcy.  Yeah.  It's true - in my mind...

I was pretty stoked about this week's FFwD.  It was dessert and it was sweet, but it wasn't the chocolate-on-chocolate combination that the month of February seems to dictate...  Plus, I love making tarts.  Make it a citrus tart and I am SO THERE.  Even saying the word "tart" makes me feel all sassy...  Tart.  Tart.  Tart.  Uh huh. 

Crust-making went smoothly (I used the good ol' "press-it-in-to-the-pan" method and spared myself the agony of the "roll and transfer").  Yes, I know there are a gad-zillion finger marks in there, but I promise when all is said and done "No one" will ever know...


The de-segmenting of the oranges was a little time consuming (Until recently, I didn't realize that there is a specific term for doing this: "supreme" - Which automatically makes me think of Iron Chef - "Whose cuisine will reign supreme?").  OK, I must confess.  I didn't personally "supreme" the oranges...  I coerced The Dude into doing it (mentioning "The Incident" is pretty much always guaranteed to get him to take over knife work - since no one wants to repeat THAT trip to the emergency room). 


Since the filling was made in the food processor, there wasn't much I could do to screw that up...  Although, I did have to resist a very strong desire to stop the process there and eat the filling out of the processor bowl - which would have totally screwed up this assignment.  And would have ruined my story about how well things were going and then I would have had to change it to the story-about-how-I-couldn't-finish-my-dessert-because-I-ate-all-the-almond-creme.  Yeah, that would have been a bummer - for everyone else...  (I would have been OK, because I would have had a belly full of almond creme).   


I assembled.  I baked.  When it came out of the oven, I opted to glaze it using these kumquat preserves

Everything went so well that I am just at a loss for words.  Oh, and it was good.  Really, really good.  And I can't wait to make it again.  And again.  And again.  But with some of the variations (because I really don't see myself embarking on a career of supreme-ing fruit anytime in the near future...) 

If you want to see how all the other Doristas made out, check out French Fridays with Dorie!  You're sure to see some lovely pieces of "tart-art" this time 'round... 

41 comments:

  1. Kumquat preserves! What an interesting glaze!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds incredible! Almost poetic! And the results speak for themselves! What a gorgeous looking tart, golden and moist!
    I'm jealous!
    Mine was a little... crispy...
    (I always forget I have things baking in the oven)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yours looks great! I had to keep myself from eating the almond cream too, it was so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks great, such a Summery treat! I have a habit of screwing things up to, not reading the recipe right, rushing, etc. Thankfully, there have been no all out disasters, yet.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Looks delicious! Don't get too worked up up segmenting the oranges, it only takes a few minutes. It's a lot less time consuming than it looks! I love the idea of using the kumquat preserves!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Oh, I agree about that almond cream. I had to limit myself to 1 tablespoon! Yours looks gorgeous! And I love the kumquat preserves glaze idea, too.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was really shocked when I saw Dorie's rec to supreme the oranges with a chef's knife. That is a good way to lose a finger, imho. If you use a paring knife it will be much easier! Lovely job.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks awesome…we really loved this too! I will definitely be making it again and again and again!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm tripling both the crust and almond creme next time so I can play around more with this one. Something just wasn't right. I think I was just not quite used to the shortbready crust or something.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cher, I'm just laughing again! I think we are kindred spirits. I was thinking the same thing about how there was no drama for me on this recipe...such a nice change! Your tart looks beautiful and I'm glad it was loved too! Here, here for an uneventful FFwD cooking experience!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lovely job! I don't think I've ever seen a kumquat, nor preserves of this either. But really, it made the tart look pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Happy for you that everything proceeded without issues. And how nice to have others help with segmenting the oranges. :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looks delicious! I will have to try one some day - I'm interested in the pear variation.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your tart art and non-disaster!!! Beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tart is lovely. Enjoyed reading about your kumquat preserves too.

    ReplyDelete
  16. You have a lovely tart and a lovely dude! Love that he supremed for you! :)

    ReplyDelete
  17. Very nice! Enjoyed reading your post and enjoy the humor. Your tart is delicious looking and I'm sure it tasted as good as it looks.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher that looks beautiful! I had to make more of the almond filling after discovering how wonderful it tasted. And i used blood oranges which are pretty red looking, and I glazed it wrong since I was impatient. But it's an awesome tart. Enjoyed reading your experiences too.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Hi Cher- I am on board with you about the lack of drama. And after spending the week with a horrible cold- I needed zero drama from FFWD :) It was funny because at several points I kept checking the recipe and P&Q's...I actually thought I was doing something WRONG when I didn't run into the problems others did. Ok, so I had my ingredients hand delivered by Nana (who special order the almond flour ahead of time:). Enjoyed your post as usual and also wanted to let you know nominated you for the "Stylish Blogger". I know you have already gotten some nominations but we still just wanted to be added to the list - you deserve it and we both enjoy your posts each week. Enjoy !!!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love it when all goes well and come out delicious! Your almond cream looks so smooth and, well, creamy.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Thanks for the welcome! Loved your blog post, I too was surprised that it was a drama-free recipe! Your tart turned out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Kumquat preserves sounds like a wonderful glaze and choice to go along with the orange tart. I am so glad everything went smoothly for you in the kitchen this week. Lovely job!

    ReplyDelete
  23. My personal mantra in the kitchen is, "No one will know...." :) I skipped this week because I'm not a fan of the shortbread cookie tart crust. I'm pretty sure, however, that the almond cream would've made up for it. Your tart turned out quite lovely, you tart. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  24. Yours looks lovely! I bet your kumquat preserves added a delicious flavor. I really loved the almond cream too:) Great description of all the different aspects of the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I'm glad it was uneventful. Your tart turned out gorgeous. I love the sound of kumquat glaze. I had no idea I was "supreming" those oranges. Thanks for the new kitchen word. BTW, you said you swoon for lemons. Do you know about Meyer lemons? I love lemons too, but the Meyer lemons put me over the top.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Oh i am still to try that Supreme cut :-)
    Oh press in tarts are wonderful and u have done beautiful here!
    And can see how wonderful ur almond cream in ur pretty tart has turned!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Doristas! Love that.

    Your tart looks great. Isn't fun when a recipe works out so well?!

    ReplyDelete
  28. ha! I know what you mean. Sometimes I'm so shell shocked something came out right that when I get a compliment on the dish I simply reply, "I know, right?"

    ReplyDelete
  29. Someday I will make this. I have made something similar in the past with cherries. Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  30. I've never had kumquat preserves. Thanks for introducing me to their existence - and on making your successful tart.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I enjoyed reading your post. It does feels great when a recipe turns out well, especially one that involves dough!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Lovely tart :) it seems we all loved the almond cream!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I do the 'roll and transfer' for crust - but the pressed-in DOES seem easier.
    And your finished tart looks wonderful!

    ReplyDelete
  34. What a lovely job you did with this tart. The almond cream sounds wonderful. I hope you have a great day. Blessings... Mary

    ReplyDelete
  35. We also loved the tart. It's interesting how different everyone's tarts look. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  36. Your posts are always witty and entertaining. i should read them in the morning to usher in a new day the right way, with a smile:)
    I also used the pressed method, not willing to roll and transfer:) And supreme-ing (:) caused a lot of grumbling on my part (nobody volunteered to do it for me:(
    But it tasted great, it look good (minus the slightly darker crust than I expected), and I will definitely make it again. Now I really need a tart pan.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Your tart looks so good! I'm glad it all went well, especially since this is a fairly involved recipe. I liked how the almond cream wasn't too sweet.

    ReplyDelete
  38. Cher, lovely tart and the kumquat glaze was geeeeenius! Enjoy that it was crisis-free.

    ReplyDelete
  39. I love the idea of kumquat glaze. Next time I try this tart, I'm going to try a glaze (though it will probably be apricot). I've decided that 2011 is the year that I try my hand at canning and preserving. Kumquats would definitely be on my list of things to preserve.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.