2011/03/31

Hello, Has Anybody Seen Spring??? (Fruit, Nut & Quinoa Salad)

Hi there.  A little birdie told someone that it's spring.  The calendar also says that it is spring. 


But I have seen hide 'nor hair of that birdie (or should I say feather?)...  Just those annoying crows that don't migrate South like all of the other self-respecting feathered creatures.  I think they stick around just to mock me.  ("Rawwwrrr, we're still he-ere"  "Rawwrrr, all the pretty birds have gone to their warm happy place")

Seriously.  Reminding me that it will be a few more weeks before the snow finally releases its hold on my back yard so that I can begin preliminary yard work.  Reminding me that the track at the high school is still partially covered with the remainders of the winter's carnage (Hello, doesn't it realize that track season starts next week?  How is The Runner Girl going to make it through a SteepleChase when they won't be able to keep the water in the trough from freezing?)


Oh.  And wait.  The newscasters are forecasting a Nor'easter-like storm that may make this the 10th snowiest winter on record...  Because we are "only" 3.8 inches away from That Top 10 list.  Honestly, I really have no urgent need to see us make that record...  I'm good.  I promise...

And while I am truly extremely jealous of very happy for everyone who is plucking fruit off their trees or preparing their yards for spring planting, it also hurts a little.  Like the girl who worked on the prom committee, but was never asked to be someone's date to the prom.  And is now standing in the corner of the gym watching all the happy couples dance.  Holding her sad glass of punch.  With the melty ice.  And wondering why she picked those shoes with the strap that keeps rubbing off the back of her heel.   Yeah.  Like that.



And if that girl is lucky, someone will ask her on a "mercy dance".  And if I am lucky, along will come a recipe for a salad that doesn't rub in the fact that there is really no seasonal produce to be had.  A salad that is light.  With little pops of color and flavor to make you forget that the world outside is still cold & a little gray...

I was pretty jazzed when this one came up for FFwD.  The crunch of the pine nuts & sunflower seeds paired with the sweetness of the gold raisins (the only type of the "r" word that I will touch) & cranberries played nicely against the backdrop of the slightly nutty quinoa.  The lightly citrus-y dressing and a sprinkling of mint finished it off perfectly.  I can definitely see changing this up with different citrus/ fruit/ seed combinations.  I didn't even mind that I continued my string of annoying things flying all over my kitchen when I dropped a measuring cup of quinoa over the floor...  Okay.  I did mind.  But only a little.  I promise. 



This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Check out how everyone else is "Spring-ing" along...

38 comments:

  1. Oh don't cry over spilled quinoa! Although it would be quite the mess! Spring is coming I promise. We get teased every other day with sunshine and happiness then we're reminded we live in a rainforest. And the clouds consume us. I assume you probably have sunny skies over your snowy backyard?

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your cranberries add a real nice pop of color!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pretty salad;-). I like the way you served it up, reminds me of a lovely outdoor picnic. Warm weather finally came to us this week, windows are finally open but I can sure hear the water rushing in the creek across the street from our house, from all the rain we've had this past month. Don't give up hope Spring is on the way;-).
    I spill and drop things in the kitchen all the time, oh well, eggs are the worst;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Lovely presentation, Cher! We had snow this week, too...ugh...then Monday we could get 3-4 inches of rain. Patiently waiting for sun and warmth to arrive...enjoy your weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I am off to make mine. Yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Those quinoa seeds do get around the kitchen, don't they?! I am so sorry to hear that you are going to be hit with another snow storm, but this salad is the perfect salad for winter or spring because of the dried fruits and nuts. Yours is so pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Spring will come, I just know it. Love your presentation, especially the dollop of yogurt. Artful!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Mint definitely. Me too. Will you go to prom with me?

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Sis. Boom. - if you bring a bag of "in season" CA produe, we're on!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I had quinoa everywhere also! I like the color and sound of cranberries, and will have to try that with my next version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Oh Cher! ROFLMAO, in the kindest possible way. That dollop of yogurt looks beautiful! This is so funny, when I started reading your post, the first thing that popped through my head was my silly husband reading the recipe over my shoulder and saying that quinoa + nuts + fruit sounded like bird food. This birdie did love it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. And I'm crashing prom, throwing my uncomfortable shoes in a corner and challenging you all to a dance-off. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. Turn that frown upside down, and take a spin around the dance floor!

    It's spring here, and at least you don't have hay fever to contend with.

    Great recipe this week, reminds me of more hiking food. Off for a walk!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Now I wish I had used the yogurt in mine. Pine nuts and sunflower seeds sound great too!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Great post, Cher - love the last photo! :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. I used some cranberries too. They really add something. It is amazing how hard it is to keep the quinoa from going everywhere!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Cher, Your salad looks great and your post is very funny! I also wrote about my jealousy of all those people getting their gardens ready for spring! We woke to a winter storm today! What's a few more inches? Nice photos.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Agreed on how lovely it is to find out what the other Doristas are doing, yet it hurt "just a little" when folks talk about walking out to their backyard to get citrus. We had some ridiculously serious snow in Tricia/Nanaland this morning and we are dreaming of revisiting this recipe when their is a barbecue involved for grilling accompanying meat :) Loved your prom analogy- too funny. And the salad in that glass was gorgeous. My kids might have eaten more if mine looked that pretty......

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, Cher! While we're preparing our gardens for spring in SoCal, remember we never get to see autumn colors!

    ReplyDelete
  20. I love the look of your salad in those pretty glass dishes! Fun presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Fabulous post. I am in Connecticut and am the dorky girl on the prom sidelines too when it comes to weather jealousy. I have a good friend with her own lemon tree and I am SO jealous.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hope Spring comes soon! We are all wet and grey in Washington today!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Your salad looks cute in that martini glass. Maybe a toast to the last of winter??? I had to laugh at your mishap with the spilt quinoa (with you, not at you). I guess you'll be finding quinoa seeds around your kitchen for a while. Here's hoping the weather catches up with the summery feel of this recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  24. We cold weather wallflowers will just have to retake the dance floor! Hope your snow melts real soon. Its been dreary, cold and rainy here all week until this morning. Your dish looks great with the Golden R's! :)

    ReplyDelete
  25. You're seriously breaking my heart with all that talk about Spring. Hold on girl, It will get to you eventually. I promise. In the meantime, I'm glad you enjoyed this "Springtime in a bowl" recipe. Yours looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  26. I promise not to say a word about the weather, let alone complain about our "cold front" here in SoCal. I left Ohio and with it the gray sky, cold mornings, snow drifts and bare branches - and never looked back. I wish that I could send you some spring, as I don't mind sharing:)
    Wasn't this a wonderful dish? Easy, fast, and really flavorful. A keeper:) Love your elegant presentation!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Pretty pictures! I'm glad to read that you liked this. I haven't made it yet but I do have the ingredients and golden raisins & craisins are actually the fruits I bought for it. Maybe this week.

    ReplyDelete
  28. Great photos- the salad looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Your salad looks wonderful, especially in the last shot. I'm glad it's giving you some comfort and nourishment while you wait for spring. Also, if it's any consolation, it's about to rain again here in Vancouver.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Your salad looks delicious! I didn't think spring was ever going to arrive in my part of the country but I think (fingers crossed) it's knocking at the door.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I agree, thank goodness for dried fruit! I hope Spring comes for you soon, your salad looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  32. Cher, this looks delicious. I'm so glad you got to try and liked the butter chicken. I hope you have a wonderful day. Blessings...Mary

    ReplyDelete
  33. Nice job! Quinoa on the floor! I bet that took awhile to sweep up!

    ReplyDelete
  34. I wrote about waiting for spring week before last - trying to tempt her to show up by discussing spring dishes. And guess what - it's now beautiful here in California. Be patient - it will come to you as well.

    Love your quinoa in a martini glass - oh so elegant. We both agree that it could benefit from more citrus but it was a fun recipe to experiment with.

    ReplyDelete
  35. My husband just walked by and said, "Oh, my, does that look yummy!" I agree with him.

    ReplyDelete
  36. Cher, another hilarious post...from the start to the end. Poor, poor girl at the dance! Lucky for you...time will chase winter away. I had to laugh at the dropped quinoa...I started to toss mine in the colander to rinse it and those little buggers were way smaller than the holes, so I got quinoa all over the counter. I decided to pass on the rinse step at that point! I really love your last photo. Really a wonderful composition.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Another Quinoa salad! I have an article coming out in a couple of days with toasted "black" quinoa. I had never heard of it before. Yours looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.