2011/03/25

My Manolo's (Peanut Butter Teff Muffins)

I have a serious problem.  For real.  I think I need help. 



Apparently, I collect flours & grains like Carrie Bradshaw collects Manolo's.  Seriously.  At last count there were about 35 or so varieties lurking in various crevices of my kitchen - from the cupboard to the pantry to the freezer.  Every where I turn they are there. 


It can't be my fault.  I am sure they jump into my cart while I am perusing the spices.  Or looking at carrots.  Or something.  This must be so.  There can be no other explanation. 

They follow me home like the little can of ravioli in the Chef Boy-ar-dee commercial.  Right in to my wide open arms.  Come to momma.  I guess it's a good thing that I don't have a shoe addiction.  Or purse addiction.  Because I would be in a lot of trouble.  Flour is WAY cheaper than a pair of shoes (but don't get me wrong, I am a sucker for a cute pair of pumps or some strappy heels - I just don't indulge often).


I have accomplices, you know.  Like the lady at work who "twisted my arm" into splitting a 25-pound bag of semolina with her.  Or my sister who "forced" me to take her extra spelt or high fiber whole wheat.  Because I certainly would not have been interested.  Noooo.  I must have been forced. 


So, I have been fighting my way through the "painful" mission of working through my stash.  It would be a shame if any of my "flour Manolo's" were not utilized to their full potential.  But I must confess.  Sometimes it gets interesting. 



And not everyone loves everything that gets produced.  Some items are just down right polarizing.  Like these little lovelies.  Peanut butter and teff. 

Love them or leave them. One thing you can't deny is the downright creamy indulgence of the crumb. These were just the creamiest muffins ever.  And they are pretty good for you.  Teff is a wonder food, don't you know?

I am still fiddling with this recipe, because I am determined that I am going to make my peeps fall in love with this one & debated sharing it because of the reaction of the peeps.  But I will push on, because I have a bag of teff to work through - have to hide the evidence of my addiction (I am thinking some injera or teff-polenta cakes may be in my future).   

If you like the assertive flavor of whole wheat and teff, give this one a try.  I think trading out part of the white whole wheat for unbleached all-purpose would "mild things down" enough for most taste buds.  And trading out the molasses for something a little sweeter may appeal to others.  A shot of chocolate chips can't hurt, right?  Or a streusel topping? 

Personally, I loved them as they were.  But that's me.  And we already know that I am a whole lot little bit odd...


Well, I better run.  I think the flour police are chasing me down for holding half of the Mid-West wheat crop hostage...  In the words of T I double G R (aka Tigger) "TTFN"! 

Teff Peanut Butter Muffins
Adapted from: Bob's Red Mill Baking Book

1/3 cup uncooked teff grains
1/2 cup whole wheat pastry flour
1 1/2 cups white whole wheat flour (could substitute unbleached A-P)
1 Tbs aluminum-free baking powder
1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
1/2 tsp salt
1/4 cup peanut butter (I prefer creamy, but chunky would be fine as well - almond butter is another option)
2 Tbs neutral oil (i.e. vegetable, safflower)
1 1/2 cups water
1/4 cup molasses (the molasses does not leave these sweet - honey or maple syrup would add a different note and may be preferable to some)
1/2 cup chocolate or cinnamon chips (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F.  Lightly grease the cups of a 12 cup standard size muffin tin. 

In the bowl of a food processor, pulse together dry ingredients (teff, flours, baking powder, salt, cinnamon) until well combined.  Add peanut butter & oil.  Pulse until crumbly mixture forms.  (Alternatively, you could cut peanut butter into dry ingredients with a pastry cutter - but I prefer the uniformness of the processor).   

Empty contents of processor into a medium size bowl (at this point, stir in chips if using).  Add water & molasses and stir until well mixed.  Divide equally among wells of muffin pan (fill to ~2/3 fill - if you didn't add chips, you may want to divide among 11 cups).  

Bake for ~13-15 minutes - until toothpick comes clean.  Cool briefly in muffin tin (~3-5 minutes).  Transfer to rack to cool completely.

4 comments:

  1. Cute post. I don't think I've ever had teff...have to give it a try. I think a flour habit is much better than a shoe habit!

    ReplyDelete
  2. The flour habit works when you come across recipes requiring less common flours. You're always prepared! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love your flour experimentations. I got Good to the Grain and I'm working my way through it. I think her philosophy is similar to yours. So much creativity!

    ReplyDelete
  4. At least you have a willing, minimum audience of three (four, counting you!) for all your yummy baked goods! I have to admit I've never heard of teff before.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.