2011/03/29

Upside Down & Backwards (Lentil Cookies)

I think I am kind of freaking my family out.  Disturbing the natural order of things.  Things are showing up in places they aren't supposed to.  

But I'm okay, you're okay...  Can't we just be friends?




I can't seem to help myself.  You see, I have been totally crushing on lentils lately.  I am not sure how long this little infatuation will last.  Perhaps not as long as my love for parsnips (which are still pretty high on my list).  Certainly it won't be as everlasting or run as deep as my feelings for lemons.  But for right now, we're a thing..


I mean how can you deny cookies with chocolate chips, sunflower seeds & chunks of almond?  And oatmeal.  Seriously, who doesn't love oatmeal?  (If you don't please don't tell me and ruin my fantasy that oatmeal is a universally loved food.  Pretty please.)

It's like breakfast.  That fits into your hand.  In fact, it has been breakfast for The Runner Girl and I more times than I should admit...  (Since she's almost 17 & quite capable of choosing her own breakfast, I don't feel like too bad of a mommy for condoning this...  Especially since she follows her cookie with a banana or an orange.)



I have made these cookies several times over the last few weeks and have changed up the add-ins.  Sometimes I use sunflower seeds, sometimes pumpkin seeds - the almonds may get changed out for pistachios, walnuts, hazelnuts - whatever is in the pantry.  I haven't messed with the chocolate chips, lentils or oatmeal.  If have to ask why, well...

As a note on sizing - I use a muffin scoop, scantly filled.  Because by now, y'all should now how little patience I have for shaping cookies...  The scoop makes big cookies (it should yeild ~24 total) - but these aren't exactly a hoity toity kind of snack, so it's okay.  I would absolutely pop some of these into my backpack for a hike up the mountain... 

Adapted from The Cooking Channel courtesy of Bal Arneson

Ingredients

1 cup cooked lentils (I've used both green and red)
1 cup (2 sticks) butter
1 cup brown sugar
1/8 tsp salt
1 egg
1 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda

1 tsp vanilla
1 cup rolled oats (quick cooking variety)
1 cup slivered almonds (or whatever you have on hand, coarsely chopped)
1 cup sunflower seeds (or whatever you have one hand...)
1 cup chocolate chips

Grease a cookie sheet or line a cookie sheet with parchment paper.

In a bowl, cream the crushed cooked lentils, butter, and brown sugar together and then add the egg and blend. Add the flour, baking soda, and vanilla. Stir in the oats, slivered almonds, pumpkin seeds, and chocolate chips and mix well.

Drop the cookies by the spoonful onto the prepared baking sheet and flatten. Place in the refrgerator to chill - at this point, heat the oven to 375F.  Once the oven is up to temperature bake the cookies for 13 to 18 minutes and allow to cool on a baking rack.

10 comments:

  1. Lentil cookies Cher? I'm not sure my fans at work would take kindly to them but I'm kinda interested. Seems like a good way to use up stuff and get breakfast too!

    ReplyDelete
  2. @ Trevor - to be honest, if you didn't tell anyone they would never know... Cross my heart - my girl thought she was eating an oatmeal cookie.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lentil cookies have me very interested! I adore lentils-lentil soup, lentils with rice or pasta...in a cookie?:)I HAVE to try these b/c they look so darn good!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hmm, lentil cookies. Different and interesting. I'm on the fence though. I do like how the cookies look!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, with my love of oatmeal cookies, this healthier version looks fabulous! Never would have imagined lentils in cookies, but glad someone did :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. These sound so interesting! Oatmeal cookies are one of my favorite…I also love lentils! I'm intrigued! They look great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Okay - this is a first for me - lentils in cookies?! I am really intrigued though and want to try them. What a cute post, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum. I love lentils too. Haven't done a lot with parsnips yet. I say, you put sugar, butter, and oatmeal into anything and anyone in my family will eat it!!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Whoa, I must try these soon! I remember you mentioned them on my blog, this recipe has been bookmarked :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I made these today! Will write about them and link to you this weekend. LOOOVED EM!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.