2011/04/05

Somebody had better call security... (Meyer Lemon Marmalade)

I thought for sure the security cameras were going to catch me & a full-on SWAT team was going to chase me down when I checked out at the local Co-op the other day.  Because, who gets away with buying three pounds of Meyer lemons in Upstate NY in the middle of March??  Seriously.  Who does that?


Uh, I guess I do. 

But no one stopped me, so I was only a criminal in my own mind...  And I am such a nervous Nelly about breaking rules that I knew the only real crime being committed was being done by the store patrons who walked right on pass that bin of lemons.  Silly, silly people. 


You see, it was one of those wacky, crazy Fridays.  It seems that on Fridays - or the day before a holiday or the day before you are leaving for vacation - the whole world - literally all six populated continents - realizes it has some unfulfilled requirement that has to get handled RIGHT AWAY.  And since Yours Truly is the person who has to find transportation when normal avenues fail...well, let's just say it was one of those days...  And we WON'T EVEN MENTION that all of this transportation happens to be specialized equipment.  Life in Supply Chain is never dull.  Seriously.  NEVER.  EVER.  EVER.
But in the midst of all that chaos.  There was light.  A co-worker went to grab a sandwich at the local co-op and had a Meyer Lemon sighting.  She came back with a big pretty bag of them.  I lusted after that bag.  For about five minutes.  And grabbed my keys and ran out to get my own bag.  ('Cuz girlfriend her just loves her some lemons, for sure). 


And somehow, I walked away with a great big bag of my own.  And nobody stopped me.  And told me "limit three" per customer or something like that.  I am still shaking my head over the wonder of it all. 

You see, those lemons NEEDED to show up in my life at that particular moment in time.  I have been awfully whiny lately (yes, I have noticed that about myself).  And miserable.  And so OVER winter and everything that went along with it.  Sorry.  I'll try to be better. 


Certainly, playing around with these little babies did much to improve my outlook on the world...

 

Now, if only I could do something about Friday afternoons...  Sighs. 

 

I don't see a cure for chaos in my near future.  But I do see a healthy schmear of these lovely lemons on a warm slice of bread.  Well?  What's not to love?  (And bread is so much less demanding than people...  uh, I am whining again, aren't I?  Moving on...) 

 

This is a very simple marlmalade recipe.  Meyer lemons don't really need a lot of adornment.  Just a lot of eating.  Certainly you can change this one up to your taste.  Personally, all I needed was lemons, water & sugar.  Nothing more.  Nothing less. 

Meyer Lemon Marmalade
Adapted from Gourmet Magazine, December 1999
6 Meyer lemons (1 1/2 pounds)
4 cups water
4 cups sugar
1 vanilla bean, sliced open - optional 
6 (8 oz) Mason-type jars, sterilized


Cut lemons in half (cross-wise).  Remove seeds. Wrap the seeds in a piece of cheesecloth & secure with twine. Using a mandoline or sharp knife, thinly slice lemons.  Cut in half.  Place sections into a heavy pot with ~ 5 quart capacity.  Add bag of seeds and cover with water.  Cover.  Let stand for ~24 hours.

Over medium heat, bring mixture to a boil. If using, scrape vanilla beans into mixture - add bean to mix.  Once boiling, reduce to a simmer.  Reduce mixture to 4 cups (~ 45 minutes). Maintaining medium heat, stir in sugar bring to a boil.  Keep at a boil  Stir occasionally and skim off any foam (the foam will start showing up toward the end of the cooking process), until a teaspoon of mixture dropped on a cold plate gels, about 20-25 minutes (start checking ~15 minutes).  Remove vanilla bean at this point, if you used it.

Spoon the hot mixture into the sterilized jars.  Fill to ~1/4 inch from top. Wipe rims with dampened cloth and seal jars with lids.

Put jars in a a deep pot. Add enough hot water to cover jars by at least 1 inch and bring to a boil. Boil jars, covered, 5 minutes and transfer with tongs to a rack. Cool jars completely.  Let stand for ~24 hours before moving. 

6 comments:

  1. Nice grab! Woo! Your marmalade looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love living on the wild side! What a great score!
    Lemon marmalade sounds great.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I just got a bag of meyer lemons from a neighbor and was thinking about making curd, but this looks like an easy recipe to do. Mmmm!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh, Elaine... Jealousy! "I just got a bag of Meyer lemons from a neighbor..." What a lucky girl you are! And curd.... MMMMMM

    ReplyDelete
  5. You are after my own lemonpalooza heart with this. Now I wish I didn't already go through the tons that were brought to me a couple weeks ago. I ADORE lemon marmalade.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Well you know what they say... when life gives you lemons (teehee, sorry! I couldn't resist). Nice score! They're so pretty and I love that you canned them so you can enjoy a little lemon sunshine over the coming weeks. Enjoy :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.