2011/04/14

Sometimes, less (words) is more... (Eclairs)

Oh, Dorie.  What a glorious gift you have bestowed upon us all - the ability to make eclairs. 


Now, I am sure my backside will not be as grateful as the rest of me, but...oh, beautiful, glorious eclairs. 


Eggs.  Butter.  Milk.  Treat extraordinaire...


Pate a choux....  I love you!


My first inklings of eclairs were as a young'un.  Knee high to a grasshopper.

Every once in a while, my dad would pick up a box of Freihofer eclairs from the local grocer.  And it was love.  I would peel the glaze off the top and eat that first.  Then I would eat the pastry all around & try very quickly to catch the cream as it fell to the table because I had taken away its support (It wasn't my brightest moment, obviously). 

 

Eclairs came (and should only come) one way.  

 

Vanilla cream center.  

 

Chocolate glaze. 
No more.  No less.  The formula works.  Don't mess with it.  Ever.  Ever.  Ever.   

Since the directive was to hurry up and get them finished...  No time to be "pretty".  Move along, mom. 


On a side note...last week's wacky weather and heavy rain finally washed away most of the snow - clearing the tracks up here just in time for Track Season.

Time to stand for hours (and hours and hours and hours) on the side lines and yell "Run, Runner Girl, run".   (Kidding!)  Hopefully, by the end of season, We, The Spectators can also don our shorts and tanks (no spandex please on the parents...).  

The Runner Girl...

Not The Runner Girl...
(well, not My Runner Girl) - but I liked this shots of kids going over the hurdles (if only the background wasn't so congested...). 

Happy Spring, y'all!

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out how all the other FFwD'ers sweetened up the world around them this week!

34 comments:

  1. Your expands look glorious Cher - I want them!! I made chocolate filling for a change.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They're beautiful! I love the first line of your post - it captures baking experiences like this perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your eclairs are perfect! I'm jealous too. : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. Completely agree with the first line of your post.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Your photos are great and your eclairs look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love the vanilla/chocolate combo.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love the vanilla/chocolate combo.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Beautiful photos, Cher! happy Friday :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher, yep, the pictures say it all this week! Your eclairs are a thing of beauty. And, there is something a little off with having those beautiful running girls in the same post as eclairs. I'm just sayin' (However, if we were those beautiful running girls, we would not have to worry about our backsides after eating eclairs!!)

    ReplyDelete
  10. @ Steph - Fortunately, The Runner Girl is the main consumer of my cooking outputs... I guess when you are putting 30-50 miles a week on the pavement you can get away with those all those things that seem to cling to the rest of our backsides :-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. They look lovely! I can't say I am a fan of sweet eclairs (I know, this is Dorie heresy) but I still love reading everyone's posts!

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL about the backside comment! You are too funny. Your eclairs look perfect...shiny glaze and the perfect rise! Mmmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I think all our backsides are coming along nicely. Your eclairs are perfect and I'm sure those who shared them thought so too. Nice post.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Love your process shots. I was so spazzy whilst cooking I could barely get through never mind take a creative shot! You rock sista!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I totally agree with you that eclairs must have vanilla cream filling and chocolate glaze! That's how I plan on making mine when I finally get to them next week. Yours look fabulous!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hehe, I'm glad to see I"m not the only one blaming my parents for instilling this love of pastry and all things sweet. Your pictures look fantastic and make me want to do a chocolate ganache next time. Run, Running Girl!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Beautiful classic eclairs! You are right about being in the vanilla filling, chocolate glaze camp, lol! I wish there really was a camp for vanilla and chocolate, I would sign up in a minute do you think they would take me for the whole Summer? This was a fun project and one that I probably wouldn't have done on my own. I'm enjoying looking at everyone's eclairs, such a relaxing way to spend a quiet evening. Take care and have a nice evening;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. Now that's an eclair..... they look fantastic. After looking at these
    posts, we should have skipped this week entirely. But they
    were good. Love the picture of Runner Girl.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks great! I love your shot of all the egg shells. I couldn't believe how many eggs this took.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Gorgeous eclairs! Glad to hear the snow is almost gone. It's about time. Winter was way too long.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Perfect eclairs, Cher! Both my kids ran Cross Country and Track - how I miss that time. Enjoy it!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Your eclairs look perfect. I agree - vanilla creme center and chocolate glaze is the only way to eat it. Great post.

    ReplyDelete
  23. They look absolutely perfect! What more can I say!
    I also admire anyone who can run!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those look amazing! I just could not chance these--(crying over split dough) but I wanted to see some photos nonetheless! Yum is right!

    ReplyDelete
  25. My goodness, yours are perfect! I love the classic eclairs, too, but played around with flavours this time. Your process photos are wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yours puffed up perfectly! They look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  27. These eclairs look delicious! And I too admire runners!

    ReplyDelete
  28. Eclairs are one of my favorite desserts. So fluffy and rich! These look absolutely wonderful :o)

    ReplyDelete
  29. I agree with everyone - your eclairs look fantastic! Wonderfully shaped. I made mine skinnier than yours so they were a little hard to fill properly. The dimensions you made are perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  30. I agree with you that there is really only one way to do these. They become classics for a reason people. lol. Vanilla cream, chocolate. Period.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Loved seeing your perfect looking eclairs and your runner girl. Congratulations on having such a winning combo :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.