2011/04/07

We have a "history"... (Garlicky Crumb-Coated Broccoli)

Broccoli and I go waaaayyy back.  It's mostly good...  At times I wish I could distance myself from it, but over the years I have learned to accept and tolerate the bonds that tie us....

I guess its a really good thing that I like eating broccoli.



It kind of goes like this.  I am "the baby" of family - in a big way.  Not only am I significantly younger than my siblings - I also was the youngest grandchild on both sides of the family.  Total "baby-dom".  I was branded. 

When you're "the baby", it kind of places you at the bottom of the pecking order.  There is no one under you to take the heat off.  You are the end of the line.  The buck stops here.  And everyone takes advantage of that.  Everyone....    



Which brings me back to broccoli.  (Didn't see that one coming, did you?)  Being the precocious little-girl-child in a house full of "adults" (my siblings were in their teens by the time I popped onto the scene) often resulted in episodes where my vocabulary skills outpaced my ability to correctly associate those words with their designated meaning.  And of course, those verbal miss-givings would be re touted to the masses under the guise of a "cute story".  (Ah, even from a young age, it has been my mouth that has gotten my into trouble...)  Certainly some of those stories would be swiftly forgotten (kind of like the grocery list I mentally composed in my head this morning).  But some of them.  Some of them...

...would build over time.  And take on a life of their own.  And be forever imprinted in the memories of "Those who knew me when I was younger".  Lest we forget, and all that. 


Unfortunately for me, I apparently was the stuff that legends were made of.  I think a tome of "baby Cher" stories could quite easily be amassed.  Lucky me. 

One of the all time favorite "family legends" involved me questioning my mother if I would "have broccoli's like hers when I grew up" ("broccoli" as pertaining to female anatomy).  I must have been very young (as in pre-preschool).  I don't recall it, but I do recall the relaying of the story over and over again.  At holidays.  Evening meals.  Pretty much any family get-together was fair game.

I can remember not "getting" the big fuss over the story in my young child oblivion.  Being horrendously mortified by it during those predominantly indignant tender teen years.  And over time, my gradual acceptance and eventual tolerance of that and other stories (Yes, Mom, I can even laugh about the SS that Bill painted in lipstick on my back side.  Usually).  Along with that came the understanding that, in my family, I would always be linked to broccoli.   Sighs.

Somehow, the mortification brought about by that association never turned me off eating it (I have always been a green veggie kind of girl).  And find that I am usually delighted by alternate means of preparing it that don't include melted cheese or copious amounts of salad dressing (not that there is anything wrong with melted cheese, mind you...)


Garlicky-crumb coated broccoli was an interesting variation for serving up my little tree friends - making its appearance along side this Indian Butter Chicken courtesy of Mary at One Perfect Bite.  A recipe which even my fussiest eater went back for seconds on (and had as leftovers the next day...). 

For bread crumbs, I ground and toasted left over Garbanzo Bean Bread from my stash of "bread ends" in the freezer.  I ended up using double the amount of crumbs than the recipe called for, but it was all good.  Who could complain about a few extra buttery crumbs, right?  It certainly went a long way towards mitigating any lingering feelings of ill-will I might still be harboring against those little guys....


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what all of the other little-broccoli-tree living peeps have been up to this week! 

34 comments:

  1. As the middle kid who was always jealous of 'the baby' (and the older kid, for all the grown-up stuff she got to do before me), I have giggled incessantly. I can only hope your broccoli is just as great as your mothers! I need to look into that garbanzo bread; I have never heard of that before.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What a sweet story! Have broccoli when you grow up. How endearing! And how annoying as a teen! I love it! Glad this recipe cleaned up any ill will you had!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cute post, Cher! Glad you now can enjoy broccoli :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Love that story! And, your broccoli & butter chicken dinner looks tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wonderful post! It's great when food triggers memories ... as long as you're looking back fondly!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Fun post! Interesting flavor combination between entree and side also!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love the idea of the "bread ends" freezer stash! And thanks for sharing your history with broccoli! :)

    I decided to sit this week's FFwD out, but I'm glad I get to read through everyone's posts today!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Looks wonderful - and what a cute story! :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Yum, such a beautiful plate of comfort food:-)
    I'm so happy I made this broccoli dish because it was really tasty and basically goes with everything:-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Oh, don't you just love those stories of your childhood that get cropped up at every opportunity? My mom & sister liked to try to get me to walk like the Root Bear from the A&W commercials like I did when I was little. Great party trick! Thanks for letting me watch too much TV, Mom!

    Lovely broccoli!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Why can one never shake those stories from childhood? Great you can use up bread ends from the freezer. I keep a container of homemade croutons for Caesar salad, so I just chopped them up in the food processor. Your broccoli looks good, but the butter chicken looks even better. I'm going to try it.

    ReplyDelete
  12. LOL @ "broccoli's" hahaha :)

    The garlicky broccoli looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  13. I always look forward to your fun posts - this one was especially good! Glad you all liked the broccoli.

    ReplyDelete
  14. So, inquiring minds what to know...did you end up with broccolis like your mom? Cute story Cher. I'm the oldest, so it's hard to relate to the youngest syndrome...sounds like it's made for an interesting life!

    ReplyDelete
  15. You tell a good story, Cher! Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Ah Steph... I don't even know how to answer that one :-)
    Being the "baby" made life interesting, for sure (and frequently embarassing).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Nice photos and loved your write up. I think extra bread crumbs sounds like a good idea.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I like that you used the garbanzo bean breadcrumbs, I'm sure that made the broccoli taste better. Your write up is brill, you're a natural storyteller!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Great post, as always! And I like the picture of your meal. OK, I mostly like the picture of the Sam Adams, but I guess the food's all right, too.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I am an oldest not a youngest but I love that story! So cute. I love how our families love to tell old and embarassing stories about us.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I love your story about being the baby of the family. I was the youngest of six
    and it wasn't easy. I also love the idea of garbanzo breadcrumbs and
    saving ends in the freezer. Great idea. I wonder how that would
    work with Italian stuffed breads such as sausage or pepperoni? I
    will have to try it sometime. Your dish looks great. Tricia and
    I both enjoyed this recipe very much, it was certainly easy to do.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cute story! I am glad that it didn't put you off broccoli forever. Your meal looks delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  23. It is amazing how everyone can remember word for word the mortifying stories...

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hope this helps put broccoli in the good column. Doesn't butter make everything better!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am the oldest grandchild on both sides, which is an entirely different kettle of fish. Great story! I'm glad you were not put off broccoli - it's not only delicious, but full of so many nutrients, as well. The chicken sounds like a wonderful accompaniment with this.

    ReplyDelete
  26. i saw anthony bourdain a few weeks ago and he talked about how a plate of food really represented history. you look down at a plate of food and you see generations and memories. loved your story.

    ReplyDelete
  27. What a funny story, Cher :) lovely broccoli too.

    ReplyDelete
  28. So you will be forever linked with broccoli, huh? At least it's a vegetable you enjoy!

    ReplyDelete
  29. What a great side dish for Indian Butter Chicken! Of course, broccoli is a great side dish for anything...

    ReplyDelete
  30. Hilarious! I think I am always going to think of that now when I see broccoli (sorry). I'm glad it didn't affect your love of the "little trees" though. Your dish looks great and I'm going to have to go back and make this. It sounds so yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Haha, what a story!! It's exactly the same way with my family ... the funny/embarrassing things we all did as kids comes up often as gatherings. It certainly makes for lots of laughter around the table! :) Enjoyed this post a lot - I love broccoli, too ... and food in general! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  32. Yum! I've seen this somewhere else, and since I'm really, really into homemade bread crumbs at the moment, I'm just going to have to try it for myself.

    ReplyDelete
  33. lol funny story!

    I love that Butter Chicken. I would never have thought of serving it with this broccoli but what a great combo. Thanks for posting it! I agree that more bread crumbs would be even better.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.