2011/05/04

Second Chances (Beet Chips)

Second chances are very important in life. 

Whether it's someone giving us a second chance...

Us giving someone a second chance...

Or just giving "something" a second chance... 


Second chances are not always simple or easy or fun.  It takes work - usually of the mental kind that pulls you one or two steps past your comfort zone. 

And may involve changing your opinion about something (or someone) - and if you are anything like me, that SO does not come easy...


And sometimes, giving that second chance out means pushing past you current perceptions.  And adpating a new paradigm about that person or thing.

Like that person who leaves the mess in the coffee area every day. 

Or the neighbor with the gruff demeanor. 




Because if you run into that person in the coffee area and start chatting with them while you are cleaning up... 

Or if you help The Grumpy Neighbor when they seem to be struggling...

Or try that vegetable in a new way... 


You  might actually find something new to like. 

Now, I can't help you with the annoying coworker or mean neighbor - but I can share with you one of my new favorite snack foods.  For real.  Over the years, I have struggled with "beet love" and have finally found a way to enjoy them.  I am probably not going to break out into fits of borscht making anytime in the near future, but whipping up a batch of chips - that I can do. 

And if you wanted to come over to my house, I would even make you a batch too...  As long as you aren't grumpy.  Or annoying. 

Beet Chips
Adapted from Power Foods

1 medium sized beet
1/2 tsp extra-virgin olive oil
1/2 tsp salt (optional)

Preheat oven to 350F. Line 1 large or 2 medium baking sheets with parchment paper. If using one sheet, place rack in middle of oven; if using two, place racks in top 1/3 and bottom 1/3 of oven. 

Using a mandoline, slice beet into 1/16th" rounds.  This seems thin, but it will be ok!  Toss rounds in olive oil.  Salt if desired. 

Layer rounds on lined baking sheet (s) - it is ok if they are close together, you just don't want them to overlap.  Place another sheet of parchment on top of rounds.  Cover with a second baking sheet.  Repeat on other baking sheet if needed. 

Bake until beets start to dry out (~15-20 minutes - I would err on the side of less dry to prevent burning).  Remove top baking sheet & parchment and rotate pan(s) (rotate racks if using two and in either case rotate trays front to back).  Continue baking until chips dry out completely (~15-20 minutes) - they will start to change color.  When you see them lighten, pull them from the oven.  (They won't all dry at the same time). 

Cool slightly (if you can wait that long).  Store in an airtight container (if you have any left...).

7 comments:

  1. Yum, these look so good. And so healthy! I actually love beets, but have not been able to give my crappy neighbor a second chance. I'm not a second chance kind of girl...except for onions...I've finally given onions a second chance and am thrilled I did! Fun post...thanks for the morning amusement!!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Those sound delicious - much better than potato chips in a bag. I'm glad you gave them a second chance.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh Cher! I can totally relate to this post: totally! Better yet, I think I am giving those beet chips a try! So thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I have a hard time granting second chances, but I do love beets. I'm glad you found a way to enjoy them. I haven't tried making beet chips but you make it look as easy as buying a bag of Terra chips!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hi Cher, I've tagged you over at my blog for a game of food tag, if you care to play!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Looks yummy! My husband has a similar beet history, but I bet he'd eat these!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.