2011/06/02

Eat your vegetables (Warm Weather Vegetable Pot au Feu)

I hit another new milestone this week.  I poached an egg.   


Yes.  My name is Cher.  I am thirty-something years old.  And I have never poached an egg.  Or eaten a poached egg.  But I saw one on TV once before.  Does that count?  And after my last experience with soft eggs on "normal food", I wasn't quite sure what to do. 


But I keep telling myself that FFwD is about doing things differently and trying new things.  So I did it.  Kind of. 


Shhhhhhhhhhh.  Don't tell anyone, but I cheated.  Uh huh.  If I were in high school, I am sure I would have been called to the principal's office. 

 

Oh, and I also cooked with lemongrass - another first (technically - it was lemongrass paste - the real deal was no where to be found).  And used my wok to make soup.  Totally a first.   Cool - it was like a total "hat trick" of firsts (sorry for the analogy, but the Stanley Cup is on - got hockey on the brain.)

Did I mention that this recipe happened to fall in the middle of the week of swelter?  And everyone wanted to know why I was making soup on the hottest day to date of the year...  (As in "what is wrong with you?" - but once I explained why I HAD to do it, all was clear and the grumbling stopped.)

And then everyone tasted.  And the grumbling went into reverse.  Woo hoo.   And then they ate their full days supply of vegetables. 


Served along side grilled pesto chicken and lemongrass & ginger basmati rice (cooked in my shiny new rice cooker that now graces my pantry thanks to the bad influence of my fellow FFwD'ers...)

I still don't get the whole runny egg on food thing.  It belongs with toast.  Sorry.  Haven't changed my mind there.  But I can get behind 1) lemongrass, 2) eating more vegetables and 3) using my wok to make one pan soups. 


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out what all the other "souper" FFwD'ers have been up to this week!

26 comments:

  1. LOL at your post...I have poached an egg...just never eaten one! You were a good sport...your egg looks wonderful atop your pot au feu:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. I really loved using the ruffly eggs technique too. I can't poach an egg "for real" to save my life, which is a shame because I do enjoy them.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Your dish looks great! As does your poached egg. I used that poaching method for the first time this week as well. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh my goodness, I just LOVE the way you poached your eggs! Definitely a must try. And your soup-in-a-wok turned out really well, it IS called a 'warm weather' vegetable stew, after all!

    ReplyDelete
  5. But when you mix the yolk in it acts as a thickener in the broth, no? I LOVE runny eggs so this was perfect for me. Your egg is perfectly poached!!!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I should try poaching eggs in plastic wrap like that. It seems less stressful. Good job at trying the runny egg on food again, even though you're not wild about it!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Such a wonderful way to enjoy veggies with or without the poached egg, congrats to you for your creative idea to poach the eggs, they look great;-)

    ReplyDelete
  8. I am with you on the poached egg (though I love your technique) as well as cooking in the heat. My family was wondering how we could have picked a soup but then they turned into converts. My kids have loved poached eggs since they were little and had their "non Nana" grandma prepare them. We haven't made them in a while and my 17 year old was googling directions to me since I got rid of my egg poacher stainless steel thingy. Phew, what an adventure- wish he had googled your technique instead :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. You crack me up. (Oops, an unintentional egg pun!) That wok of soup looks great. And I love that baggie technique for the egg. I've just seen it today on your and other Dorista posts, but will try it. I let my husband do the eggs this time and they were a little feathery. (hmmm, does that count as a chicken pun?) I really loved this soup. Hope it's cooled off a bit for you. I hate hot and sticky weather.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Great job with the soup and all the new things you tried out! I love poached eggs best on toast too, but I love them anywhere I can get them.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I'm with everyone who loves your poaching ideas. My eggs didn't turn out nearly as nice as yours. I've really enjoyed these last two recipes that use eggs. I didn't bother with the lemon grass either, but that's because it's too expensive for how much I would have used.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Beautiful, Cher! I'm afraid of poaching... good thing I don't love eggs that way! :)

    ReplyDelete
  13. A wok! Wow - that's a really good idea. And I hear you on the full day's supply of vegetables - this is a really good way to cram them all in, and enjoy the process :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Wasn't that the best part is that everyone got all the vegetables in one serving?! Kudos to you for making this in sweltering heat! Your poached egg turned out perfectly!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your soup looks great and I am very impressed by the poached egg. I have yet to make a good poached egg.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I am kind of in love with this dish. I cannot get enough of it!

    ReplyDelete
  17. I remember reading about using a wok, but don't own one anymore. But the entire time this was cooking I kept thinking of Chinese food!

    Looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  18. I'm intrigued by your poached eggs, they look very cool in the finished dish. Your soup looks lovely!

    ReplyDelete
  19. What a great and very neat way to poach an egg.

    This was pretty tasty wasn't it.

    Thanks for coming by. Always like finding new blogs.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Looking at that last photo makes me want to go to my kitchen and make this soup again! I want to just slurp it up! :)
    I couldn't find lemongrass, either, but it tasted great even if without it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I have to laugh that you now own a rice cooker. Good for you for poaching that egg. Beautiful soup!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I poached an egg (and ate one) for the first time when we made the bacon, egg and asparagus salad. That's the fun thing about FFWD! So glad your family enjoyed this one even on such a hot day.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I like your shortcut to cooking poached eggs! What a picture! Did you simmer those in a pan? Or did you microwave? Heaven knows I don't do poached eggs either, new for me was adding soft-boiled eggs to dishes. I am leaning on the side of the runny eggs for breakfast as well. Wow, didn't know they made lemon grass paste. I used a dried version from Penzey's. I also made this soup a second time during last week--to take to a friend whose husband had passed away.

    ReplyDelete
  24. @ Kathleen - hi. I used the ruffly poached egg method in AMFT (across the page from Dorie's poached egg recipe). The pouches are boiled in a pot of simmering water. If my cookbook wasn't 1700 miles away from me at the moment, I would throw out the page # for you :-)
    Lemongrass paste is wonderful. My grocer carries it in the produce section near the fresh herbs.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Haha, Cher, I'm twenty something years old... close to thirty though, and this was the first time I poached an egg as well - and I LOVE eating poached eggs for breakfast out at a restaurant, but never done it at home. This soup with the poached egg part especially won me over!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.