2011/06/17

Good bye, spring... Hello, Summer??? (Cherry Clafoutis)

Oh, beautiful spring.  Giving way to summer. 

The signs are every where...  The end of track season heralds the end of the school year.  And SAT's.  And Regents Exams.  And college hunting.  Sighs.


And the flowers of spring turn into the produce of "almost summer" (at least in this somewhat weather-delayed section of the country...)


And we get to make friends all over again with the fruits of summer lost... 

Actually, cherries and I are kind of new friends (at least the traditional red ones).  Truly.  I have been a friend of those beautiful Ranier cherries and all of their golden sweetness for some time now. 

But the little red guys and I just haven't made the connection.  Until now. 


Another friend had to help us make the connection.  A custardy sort of friend.  And when paired together, they make a delightful treat with a funny name.  Clafoutis!  Kla-foo-teee.  Clafoutis. 

What more can I say?  I could eat this almost every day!

The original recipe called for frozen cherries.  But when they are in season, why would you do such a thing?  Seriously.  The recipe also called for a 10" round glass pie plate.  But, I liked my oval casserole better.  It's less boring.  So, I added more cherries.  Because I could.  And who was going to stop me????  Exactly. 

And cherries are good for you.  So eat your fruit, man!  Haven't you heard of the food pyramid?  It's practically government mandated.  Hmmm.  If I think of it that way, I am performing my civic duty by making dessert...  I think I'll stop here while I am ahead...or at least only moderately behind!


Sweet Cherry Clafoutis w/ Mascarpone Whipped Cream
Adapted from Bon Appetit Desserts

Whipped Cream
2 Tbs sugar
1/2 cup cold mascarpone
1/4 cup heavy cream
1 Tbs Kirsch

Clafoutis
1.5 pounds fresh cherries, pitted
3 large eggs
3/4 cup + 2 Tbs sugar
1/4 cup heavy cream
3/4 sour cream
1/2 cup 2% milk
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbs Kirsch
6 Tbs unbleached all-purpose flour

Beat the ingredients for the whipped cream using an electric mixer until peaks form.  Transfer to a bowl & refrigerate until ready to serve. 

Preheat oven to 375F.  Butter a 10" pie plate or an equivalent sized oval casserole; sprinkle 1 Tbs of the sugar on the bottom of the pan.  Place the cherries in a single layer at the bottom of the baking dish. 

In a large bowl, place eggs & 3/4 cup sugar.  Whisk together until foamy - a couple of minutes.  Whisk in vanilla, creams, milk & Kirsch until mixture is smooth (you don't want sour creamy lumps in the final product).  Whisk in flour, 1 Tbs at a time until mixture is smooth.  Pour batter over cherries. 

Bake until puffy and set in the center - it should be lightly golden brown.  35-40 minutes.  Unfortunately, that beautiful puffiness will deflate when it comes out of the oven - but never fear, it will still be delicious. 

Serve warm (yes, please) with whipped cream.  Also good at room temperature.  Or refrigerated (where you can keep the leftovers if you have any...)

6 comments:

  1. Agree, clafoutis has a funny name though its really delicious. Where I live it seems last week summer left and spring made an appearance. I am hoping for a reversal next week:) Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks like a really tasty dessert! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. This is such a perfect summer dessert. Beautiful to serve company too. Thank you for the recipe.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Beautiful!! I love the whipped cream recipe... sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I agree. I could eat it everyday. Yours looks delicious! It is also great with other fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love Calfoutis…One year we had a French exchange student stay with us for the summer…he brought with him a recipe for this dessert and made it for us! I have been making it ever since. Great photos…great dessert!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.