2011/06/09

I'd like to buy the world a coke... (Jam & Cola Spareribs)

I am feeling a little guilty.  I am sitting in The South typing up a post about BBQ from a recipe in a French cookbook. 

I guess it is a good "thang" that I am a "New Yorker" and no one would suspect that I am sitting here writing about ribs.  Because, I am as sure as the day is long that if I were caught, I would be unceremoniously be shipped back to where I came from.  Or placed under house arrest.


I am smart enough to know that there are somethings outsiders shouldn't roll into town and try to mess with.  Chili.  Chicken Fried Steak.  Biscuits & Gravy.  BBQ. 

Chili gets made with beef.  Not chicken.  Not turkey.  Not vegetarian.

Chicken fried steak.  Is what is is.  But it better come along with a side of white gravy. 

Bicuits & gravy - must also bear that same white gravy.  Because it is so.  If you don't like it.  Don't eat it.  (Whew - so glad to be off the hook on that one...  My Northern sensibilities can't quite handle this heavy, beloved fare.  Can I have a salad????)



Oh.  And the BBQ.  Beef.  Spice rub.  Throw it into one of those black, barrelly smoker thingys.  Sauce - well, that depends on the cook, I guess.  I am sure there is room for pork somewhere.  But apricot jam & Coca Cola.  With Ginger and Chinese Five Spice? Bake it in the oven?  From a French cookbook????  Heresy of all heresies.  And I am pretty sure it doesn't involve Pyrex...  Just sayin'



And that's ok.  Because I think regions need their traditions.  And flavors.  Things that make them unique to the rest of the country/ world.  Because if everyone were alike, why would we ever need to get out there and see the world?  Or try new things?  And how boring would we all be???


Wow.  That's kind of a scary thought. 

So in the name of world diversification, I would like to buy the world a Coke.  And use it to make ribs.  But SHHHH, don't tell anyone.  At least not until I am on an airplane headed back to the "Safety Zone".  Then you can tell. 


So, let's talk about the ribs.  First of all - time is your friend.  Let them marinate over night.  Bake 'em slow and easy.  Don't forget to flip-n-baste.  But be patient.  And don't cheat.  Use The Good Stuff (Coca Cola - not the "P" word).  And everyone knows that the first rule of ribs is: fingers only.  This isn't dainty fare. 

Serve them along side a mac salad (well, at least that's what I did) or your favorite "backyard" fare...  Because at the end of the day, you are the one eating it - so whatever floats your boat and all that...



This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out the ribbin' the rest of the crew has been up to!

32 comments:

  1. I almost used Pepsi ... then I found a can of Coca Cola... phew! :)

    Those ribs look really good...juicy and tender. I'm still not sure how this is "French" :?

    ReplyDelete
  2. FLIP and BASTE? IS that where I went wrong?!?!?
    Your ribs looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I would love to try authentic Southern food one day. The closest I can get to Southern fried chicken here is Popeye's!!

    Your ribs look good! I notice you baked them in individual ribs. Maybe that makes the difference!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your post made me laugh! Nice job on the ribs. We won't tell anyone your making ribs from a French cookbook! I had hoped to make these, but it was not meant to be this week. I'm completely fascinated by making ribs with cola.

    ReplyDelete
  5. How funny! I loved your tongue in cheek tone! Houston?? You must at the airport passing through. Its been hot, hot, hot, to come here for vacation! I've been in Louisiana actually. Wonderful food and future articles to write! Those ribs look so delicious. I just bought Dorie's cookbook and can't wait...

    ReplyDelete
  6. The ribs look great Cher! And don't worry, I won't tell, if you won't tell that I used the "P" word ;)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Your ribs look wonderful, and your writing always puts a smile on my face :) Happy Friday!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great post, Cher! And nice photos!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Well, we couldn't help it...had to add BBQ sauce in the end...just not enough flavor for us, even though the ribs were tender and juicy. I think we can teach the French a thing or two. And Southern BBQ...oh my, now that sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your ribs look great, and much bigger than the ones from my butcher! Happy to hear I am not the only one who liked this one.

    ReplyDelete
  11. LOL, Cher...yeah, I guess it's good we try new things! Love the way you write :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your ribs turned out fantastic looking. And great process photos!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yep, living in the south is different from the Northeast! But, a funny thing happens if you've been here too long - you become one of them - it happened to me! : )
    Your ribs look great and I'm glad you liked them - we did, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I have to laugh, because as a temporary Southerner I could never wrap my head around the concept of biscuits and gravy. I lucked out and had a can of 'the real thing' in the house - complete with the logo of the 2008 Olympics. I had a hunch Old Coke would be better than a Diet Coke glaze.

    ReplyDelete
  15. Good Morning Cher, Nice to read an inspired post, this one just wasn't talking to me. I liked the ribs but used short ribs instead of the pork spareribs. Maybe I just needed a trip to the South for some inspiration, great read and your ribs look like the real deal;-)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your ribs were big and juicy! These Yankees loved this recipe too.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You were very smart to marinate. I think that's what was missing in ours. Your meat looks a lot better too. Way to go! (this is Susan-LittleFrenchBakery) I'm having trouble posting...

    ReplyDelete
  18. I agree...only Coke....no P word. Your ribs look great.

    ReplyDelete
  19. I don't know what was going on at my supermarket, but there was no Coke to be found. I wound up with Pepsi, which contributed more to the caramelization of the ribs than as a flavor. Were you able to taste the Coke at all? Just curious.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Yes, please don't tell ANYONE I used a cake of Coke in a recipe! Nobody should ever know!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm sure I've said it before, but you crack me up. These didn't appeal to me. Maybe because I didn't flip, just basted? Yours do look good though.

    ReplyDelete
  22. I really enjoyed your post…too funny! Your ribs look great! Enjoy your week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Coke vs Pepsi? I am definitely a Coca Cola girl! My cousins were strictly Pepsi. How could we be related? Ribs look great.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Your ribs look good. I see that you made individual ribs. Maybe I'll try that next time to give them more flavor.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Those ribs look fantastic! I wasn't sure I'd like these, but they're awesome. I promised half to our neighbours and my partner is trying to veto that.

    I loved your post - so well-written.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Great recipe-- can't wait to try it out. Thanks for sharing!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I am so impressed that you did all of the June challenges in one weekend! You go, girl! I am making the rhubarb today to go with tonight's dessert....can't wait to taste it!

    ReplyDelete
  28. My work schedule has been whacky lately, and I slipped on FFwD posts:( But I read diligently. I just want to know if this was really good, if this was worth trying and changing a perfectly good recipe for ribs I already have?
    I am not in the South, but I am married to an Atlanta born blue-blooded Southerner who knows his ribs:) And prefers Pepsi (horrors!)
    You made me laugh, and that's more than I could ask for!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Never mind the Good Stuff and the 'P' word, what about 'S' for sarsaparilla? Yeah, don't even bother, it wasn't even mind-blowing... This post really cracked me up. I really dig your Northern sensibility when it comes to Southern fare and 'French'-inspired recipes!

    ReplyDelete
  30. @ Lana. That's a pretty good question. I thought these were good, but if I had a favorite recipe that I was already in love with - I probably wouldn't choose these over that...
    So, if you have a recipe you love, then you may want to pass.

    ReplyDelete
  31. I feel like I'm spending most of my time catching up these last few months! Love your post! But did not love (or like) this recipe! Made the ribs and was flying out to Melbourne early next morning so decided to skip posting.
    Now I love ribs, but with a sweet BBQ sauce. Traditions really are there for a reason sometimes!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.