2011/06/27

Strawberry Crumble

Wow.  Can you believe that strawberry season has like come and almost gone already?  (Up here in the Northeast, it doesn't start until mid-June, and is usually on it's way out the door before the 4th of Joo-ly firewords light up the sky.)


I have heard there are people out there who don't like strawberries?  Seriously.  Who are you?  And why?  (Unless you have an allergy and then I TOTALLY understand). 


The Karate Kid and I had one of those rare weekends where the rest of the world went it's own way.  And "we" were kind of bored.  (Of course, when I say "we" I really mean "she")

So, we hopped in the car and drove out to the orchard to pick some strawberries.  Because there is nothing like freshly picked strawberries.  Oh, baby. 


At 2.95$ a quart, we ended up with 6 quarts.  Yeah.  A little over the top.  But they all went to good homes. 

Like my belly.  And in a strawberry, tomato & mozzarella salad.  And into this crumble. 


So easy.  But so well-loved in my house. 

Going... going...


Gone.


I adapted this recipe from KAF's Blueberry Crisp recipe.  Except I used strawberries.  And added oatmeal to the topping.  Which kind of made it a crumble, instead of a crisp.  But it's all good...  I think they'd approve.

Strawberry Crumble
Adapted from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion 

6 cups strawberries, hulled and cut into roughly equivalent pieces
1/2 cup sugar
1/4 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/4 tsp salt
2 tsp fresh lemon juice

1/2 cup unbleached, all-purpose flour
1 cup oatmeal (not instant) -the "rolled oats" kind
1/4 tsp salt
1/2 cup sugar
8 Tbs (1 stick) butter, melted

Grease & flour 9" square pan (or 5 to 6 12-oz ramekins).  Preheat oven to 350F. 

In a large bowl, toss berries with sugar, flour, salt & lemon juice.  Spoon into prepared dish (dishes). 

In a medium mixing bowl, combine remaining flour, oats, salt, sugar & melted butter.  Sprinkle topping over berry mixture.  Press down into mixture lightly. 

Bake for ~45 minutes (slightly less if you use individual sized baking dishes) until topping is golden brown & fruit is bubbly. 

5 comments:

  1. Looks delicious, generous amount strawberries. You are certainly making the most of their short stay!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Yum! Those look goooood. Cute bowls, too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I know KAF would approve. The crumble looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This crumble looks fantastic. No wonder it went so quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh yum! These look amazing…I might have to pick more berries!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.