2011/07/28

Citrus Berry Terrine

I have a confession to make.  I won't eat Jell-o with anything in it.  Straight up, please....


Those unnatural looking salads from my childhood with the canned fruit. Hidden under a blanket of whipped cream.  And on a really bad day, punctuated with shredded coconut.  Frankly, it scares me.

I find ambrosia absolutely abhorrent - not even worth picking through to find the good stuff. 

I can't eat dirt pies or other combinations of cookies & pudding and whipped cream. 


And I know that I am probably offending someone deeply with my admission.  I am truly sorry - it's not a taste thing, I promise.  It's a texture thing.  I just can't get past the combination of an ultra smooth consistency punctuated with little chunks of "stuff".  My pallet is too narrow-minded.  Really.  And it has a mind of its own. 


So when I saw that we had to make a terrine this month, I was excited.  Because I had never made one.  Until I read the recipe and realized I had to make "Jell-o with fruit".  Oh.  No. 

It was truly a Green Eggs & Ham moment.  Only for the love of Dorie would I venture into the equivalent of "Jell-o with fruit" territory.  (Side Note: for FFwD I have touched raw whole chickens, cooked beets, gone on scavenger hunts for previously unknown items and tackled "artsy-crafty" projects.  Just saying.) 


But I did it.  And here is what I learned:

1) Fresh fruit of one's own choosing is far better in a gelatinous mixture than strange mixed fruit out of a can
2) A juice & gelatin mixture is far less off-putting in combination with fruit than Jell-o
3) I had forgotten how much I love grapefruit - must eat more often
4) I still don't like ambrosia, Jell-o/ fruit salads with whipped cream or "dirt" dessert
5) Nine times out of ten - Dorie's version is better!
 

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out how everyone else made out this week!

Have a great weekend, y'all.

25 comments:

  1. Well done Cher;) gave this a miss myself Coz I am preparing for a trip this weekend. dory never disappoint and I elk get this done when I am back. Sure looks good. Yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So glad you made the jump to the deepend! I was smiling with every item your learned on your list. Great job!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Yay! Glad that you ate the "green eggs and ham" and liked it, Sam I Am. I felt a little the same way as you at the start. The terrine was OK, but if I am making dessert, I want butter and chocolate and eggs.

    ReplyDelete
  4. "little chunks of stuff". May I quote you? I passed on this one, I prefer my fruit not suspended in jello, it's a texture thing because the terrine looks beautiful!
    I'm so glad you made one so I could come by and check it out!

    ReplyDelete
  5. You've given me the courage to try the salmon in a jar in august. Everything about that recipe skeeves me out. Hopefully, I'll be as pleasantly surprised as you were, here. Your terrine looks beautiful!

    ReplyDelete
  6. So happy you ventured out of your comfort zone and tried this. It's not that scary after all, and in fact, your terrine turned out most beautifully! No more little chunks of unknown stuff, now you KNOW exactly what stuff is in there.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I was absolutely with you this week, was not at all looking forward to this recipe. But I too was pleasantly surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cher, Dorie seems to always push us out of our comfort zone...but so glad you gave this lovely terrine a try! I love to look of yours with the dark blackberies...beautiful~

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher, it looks great! Glad that you went ahead and made the good ol' 'jello with fruit' snack - this reminded me of my elementary school lunch box. :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I was with you on this one. It brought back frighteningly vivid memories of carry-in dinners in musty church basements. But I tried it and liked it! So much so that I've made it twice already.

    Ei, try the salmon in a jar. It's relly delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  11. @ Ei - I am nervous about the salmon too. Trying to build my courage.
    @ Gaaarp - it was those dinners in the church basement that I was thinking of.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I'll believe you on the grapefruit. I can't get on board with that citrus fruit.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Good job, Cher, expanding those culinary horizons!! Beautiful work, too!

    ReplyDelete
  14. I'm ditching this week and probably next...doing a big wedding for my nephew. But I can't get excited about this recipe...your version is really pretty...I'll try it when I get my current project finished. I'm with you on the jello...not a favorite.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm glad this sold you on the fruit in the Jell-o! I love it that way and even though I had fits with the fruit I selected for my terrine I think I will always make Jell-o this way from now on because the boxed version just does not have the flavor of the natural fruit juices. Your terrine came out beautifully!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I skipped this week's recipe because of the jello effect. Although when
    I see all these delicious photos I should have tried to make it
    for hubby. Tricia made the dish and her family loved it. Yours looked
    great, those blackberries are gorgeous. I can remember as a kid, my
    Mom took us all blackberry picking, and they are so delicious when freshly
    picked.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I happen to be one of those people who has always loved jello salads and was excited about trying this recipe. Glad you tried it! Yours looks great..sounds like you may have even enjoyed it!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You tried it and liked it and reached to your 5 important conclusions... and it looks super pretty too! Yay!

    ReplyDelete
  19. This is absolutely beautiful. Great job.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Green Eggs and Ham moment -- LOL! That's exactly what my mother used to say when we wouldn't try something new. And see, you liked it! Congrats for stepping out of your comfort zone on this one. I have to say the fruit juice/gelatin thing is so much better than Jello.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Wasn't this good? Great pictures too.

    ReplyDelete
  22. It also helps that the gelatin-to-fruit ratio is pretty low; it's more like fruit bound by a bit of jello than "jello with fruit". Glad you tried it and liked it!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Great post!! I'm not a gelatin fan either! :)

    ReplyDelete
  24. I have big texture issues too, but I loved this one. It didn't remind me of those nightmare childhood jello salads at all! Green jello with peas? Who thought of that?

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.