2011/07/24

Grilled Tuna w/ Wasabi Mayo & Avocado/ Crab/ Grapefruit Salad

Now that I am in possession of the booty from The Dude's deep-sea fishing adventure, it is time to figure out how to best utilize this bounty. 


Last week, a 62 pound box filled with dry ice-packed vacation tuna showed up on my doorstep.  The gauntlet was raised.  A challenge was born. 

Remember this guy???
Sixty two pounds of fish.  To be prepared.  And eaten.  And the same-old/ same-old will just not do.

Frankly, I am feeling a little bit intimidated by it all.  I know it's just fish, but somehow I feel like I can't let it down.  Or take it for granted.  Or be careless with such a prize.  At this point, I should probably say "I'm not worthy" in Wayne's World style.  But I shall spare you all any excessive drama on that count...   


So, for the first installment of the great tuna challenge, I decided to keep it close to home - but with a little twist. 


It kind of looks like the state of South Carolina...  Just saying.
By pairing it with shoyu....



...and wasabi.


 In a mayo'ey marinade. 

 

Confession time: while I did feel somewhat relieved to make it through the first batch of fish without royally messing it up, I am daunted by the task ahead - continuing to find creative ways to highlight this fish to its best advantage.  Chef Pandita twittered a good suggestion involving sashimi & sriracha and another suggestion involving sesame crusted - I am certainly going to give at least one of those a go. 

Beyond that, with cook books in hand and the Internet by my side...the search continues.   



Grilled Tuna w/ Wasabi & Avocado/ Crab/ Grapefruit Salad
Adapted from the Gourmet Today cookbook

For the Tuna
4 6-oz sections of tuna - ~1" think (I used steaks)
1 1/2 cups mayonnaise
2 Tbs shoyu
2 tsp sugar
1 Tbs fresh lemon juice
1 Tbs wasabi paste

Stir mayonnaise, shoyu, sugar and lemon juice together in a small bowl.  Transfer 3/4 cup of the mixture to another bowl and stir in wasabi - cover and then refrigerate mixture until serving. 

Spread remaining 3/4 cup of mayo mixture onto fish and let marinate in the refrigerator (covered) for ~1 hour. 

Preheat grill to medium.  Grease grates well.  Cook tuna over medium flame for ~4-5 minutes on each side (or until desired doneness).  Serve with wasabi mayo. 
For the Salad
8 oz lump crab meat - ready to eat
1 Tbs finely chopped shallot
2 Tbs lemon juice
1/4 extra virgin olive oil
2 grapefruits, supremed
1 firm, ripe avocado - halved, pitted & cut into 1/3" slices
4 cups baby spinach
Coarse sea salt (~1 tsp)
1 tsp whole pink peppercorns, crushed (optional)

Mix together shallot, lemon juice, olive and 1/2 tsp salt in a small jar.  Cover, shake well and let stand at room temperature for at least a half hour.  When ready to serve, stir in peppercorns, if using. 

To assemble salad, divide greens among four chilled plates.  Divide grapefruit, avocado & crab meat evenly into four servings.  Arrange on plate.  Shake dressing well and drizzle over salad.  Sprinkle with remaining 1/2 tsp salt if desired. 

Serve immediately.

5 comments:

  1. WOW! That is some catch! Your tuna salad looks wonderful, Cher! It looks way better than the tuna salad I am used to eating. :) I love Chef Pandita's suggestion. Have fun with creating your tuna dishes!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'll have one of everything, please! It looks so tasty and REFRESHING!

    ReplyDelete
  3. lovely idea...very healthy salad..:P
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete
  4. OMG! That *is* a lot of fish. You are off to an excellent start ... but I don't blame you for feeling a little intimidated. Looking forward to seeing what you come up with!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.