2011/07/14

If at first you don't succeed... (Cold Melon-Berry Soup)

...follow the directions.


You see, there is this person Who Shall Not Be Named who can usually sometimes be less than pristine about following directions.  Or just randomly trying things my "their" way. 

Like trying to make a melon-berry soup without melon...  And using a papaya.  And adding basil.  Should it be mentioned that when the basil was added to the lovely papaya it creates a funky color that should not be eaten.  Or looked at.  EVER.  Yeah, it was pretty hideous.  Or so This Person said...


Fortunately this person Who Shall Not Be Named has the good graces not to fault the author of the recipe for the ultimate flop that was created, but had the good sense to try again.  Following the directions.

Now, don't get This Person wrong, improvisation is a good thing.  And This Person is all for messing around with recipes.  However, when the messing around creates a mess - well, it's time to go back and read the instructions. 


It's actually kind of funny, because there have been times when This Person has been known to admonish The Dude for similar failures.  (i.e. getting halfway through a project without reading the directions and wondering why something isn't working). 

Yes, it is true.  There have been times...


It was obviously in the interest of "fairness" that afterThis Person quickly realized that the intitial failure was their own fault, they went back and tried again.

And followed the ingredient list.  Mostly... 
This Person bought a MELON (not a papaya).  Shaped half of the fruit into balls.  Pureed the other half (along with some liquid & a hint of lime).  And topped it off with a pinch of salt.  Some fresh strawberriers.  And a hit of mint. 


Okay, okay.  So This Person cheated on the liquid.  Captain Morgan's is kind of like white wine, isn't it?????  (Hey - you weren't expecting total conformity at this point, were you?)


The final result - a light, summery treat.  Perfect for those days when it's 90F outdoors and 85F in the kitchen. 

Oh - this is the part of the post where This Person should mention that it's a good idea to become friends with a melon-baller.  Because measuring spoons make some pretty funky looking balls (or should This Person say "planetary shape-ish spheres").  Doesn't it just make sense that melon-ballers make nice looking melon balls?  Yeah - it's times like that when that college education really comes in handy...

This post participates in French Friday's with Dorie.  Come check out what all the other FFwD'ers have been up to!

35 comments:

  1. Looks great. Glad you gave it a second try. I didn't have sweet white wine, so I just skipped that part. But I bet rum would be great.

    ReplyDelete
  2. LMAO I love it. I made this recipe for mother's day, and instantly thought, "BOOZE!!!" Coconut rum would be awesome. I planned to play with the recipe this week and make a mixed-drink version, but I didn't get around to it. My bad.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher - Sometimes it's so tempting to change it up a bit, just to be different! I have a few ideas my mine I'm going to try to make tonight, so we'll see. I think the Rum sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  4. This was an interesting recipe. Hubby and I did not particularly like
    it, and I'm not sure what the problem was. I can't wait for Tricia's
    results, since I made mine yesterday. Great photos on the second
    go around.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow......so refreshing....its beautiful

    ReplyDelete
  6. In theory, papaya sounds like it should work. Glad you read the directions and tried again! I bet it was good with the coconut rum.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I don't know about the first try, but the second try looks great! I was planning to make this tonight, but the MN summer took a turn for the worse, and the soup suddenly didn't seem appetizing on a cold, drizzly day.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cher...you did a good job on them :) I gave this one a miss coz I could not find the cold melon here. Well done and I do too at times read the instruction wrongly and wondered why it did not turned out well :p

    ReplyDelete
  9. Very cute post. Happy to hear that ''This Person's'' soup worked out in the end. And good point on the melon-baller, I do not have one and since making this recipe it has been added to my wish list.

    ReplyDelete
  10. I didn't like the wine in the soup. I sure liked it beside the soup. I am going to try the Captain Morgan. Thanks.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Lol! I used measuring spoons as well and I had some funky looking melon balls! The coconut sounds great!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Nothing wrong with a little experimentation, that's what makes the world go round;-)
    I enjoyed mine booze free and it was refreshing, really hit the spot! I covered my lopsided melon balls with the fruit broth but they were good if not pretty!

    ReplyDelete
  13. So pretty with the mint...and I think I would have liked it better with the rum :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Ooooh love the addition of rum! I had to sit this one out...I can't stand melons! :)

    ReplyDelete
  15. No ginger? Glad you tried it with that rum!

    ReplyDelete
  16. @ KarenP - I think it was the basil that did me in...
    @ Luciacara - yes, I did use ginger. (I keep grated ginger in the freezer and just "chop off" what I need as I go - the lump wasn't very photogenic).

    ReplyDelete
  17. Soup in a glass...who knew it would look good in both? So happy to go around and see all the variations. I couldn't get melon so I didn't bother this week. Imagine me making the same soup as you with the papaya liquid base? ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  18. @ Foodiva - you know. I really need to go back at the papaya and give it another go round. It still irks me that I messed up something that should have been such a no brainer...

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your melon balls look great - I need a lesson on how to make mine look a little more round!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Very funny…the end result looks wonderful! Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  21. The first try sounds good and the second try is beautiful. Maybe I should follow the instructions and quit adding and subtracting and then maybe I could have a pretty soup like yours...but......it tasted OK...just kept needing something.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Hi from Greece. Your soup looks delicious and highly interesting! Tantekiki.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  23. I have to laugh. You know, Another Person also decided to not follow instructions and she lucked out. ;-)

    Your first batch looks like one of those cranberry/pomegranate-applesauces. I didn't find it off-putting at all!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I would have thought papaya would work. I made mine with honeydew and blueberries, and it was fine. Glad you tried it again.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Your post made me laugh! Sometimes improvisation works, other times not so much. Your soup looks great, though!

    ReplyDelete
  26. How funny, Cher! What a trooper you are to try it again. Captain Morgan's sounds like a perfect addition!

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cher – You make me laugh. I love Food Bloggers who improvise! And, good-for-you for giving it a “go” twice.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I didn't follow the recipe either. I used Gin and Lillet and only had a small piece of orange rind to use. Turned out delicious and I had two servings!

    ReplyDelete
  29. Great picture and I like the idea of rum!

    ReplyDelete
  30. LOL...your post cracked me up. Unfortunately I have been guilty of not following directions in recipes many times! It looks like your second attempt was a great success. And yes, Captain Morgan's is fully interchange with wine! ;) Your soup looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  31. Hmmm ... I'm thinking if you radically increased the rum and decreased the fruit you'd have a really awesome soup .. oh, wait That's called a daiquiri ... count me in! ; )

    ReplyDelete
  32. Can't fault "Your Friend" for experimenting! I think any tropically-flavoured alcohol would be a great addition to this soup. The coconut rum sounds like an excellent choice.

    ReplyDelete
  33. LOL - you know what, I was tempted to papaya because I wasn't sure if I could get rockmelon in winter. Love the addition of alcohol- a very elegant summer drink.

    ReplyDelete
  34. wow...wonderful try with awesome result..
    first time here..love your space..
    excellent recipe collection..
    Am your happy follower now..:)
    do stop by mine sometime..
    Tasty Appetite

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.