2011/07/21

Who'da thunk it... (Coconut Lemon-grass Braised Pork)

The encroaching 16th birthday of The Karate Kid and the ever-so-swiftly nearness of the The Runner's Girl's senior year of high school (tear...) have resulted in way too many comparisons of "the way things were" and "the way things are".

For example, there was a time in my life when...


...I would have found Cardamom rice pilaf to be the most exotic dish ever.  (Heck, back in those days a trip to Red Lobster was a pretty big deal.)

...the only things I knew how to make were: chocolate chip cookies, eggs and ramen noodles in Dinty Moore Beef Stew.
...I didn't know how to do laundry.  Yes, this is all true. 


85 million loads of laundry later, I wonder who that girl was.  And wonder how she could POSSIBLY be related to the person who walks around today. 

And then, I look at The Little Peeps.  And their plates filled with coconut lemon-grass braised pork (with a side of homemade sourdough) and I wonder if Young Cher would have so calmly accepted such a concoction being placed in front of her.  (Because as fussy as Old Cher is - Young Cher had twice as many hang ups.  This is true.)


And then I try to conjure up images of Grandmother of Cher and her thoughts about such things.  (I think she would have been more amused than anything...) 

And then, I think that this silly heat wave must be getting to me.  Because we aren't supposed to have almost 100F degree days in this part of Upstate NY.  While our highly insulated Northern beings can handle sub-zero weather...we were not created to handle the tropical state that has suddenly befallen us. 


And I am very glad that I made this dish in early July - during a FFwD weekend.  Because if I had waited until this week, not even the love of Dorie could lure me into turning my oven on to make a batch of cookies - let alone a braise.  Sorry.  (No, my house does not have A/C...It is almost 9:00 at night and the external temperature is 88 - the temperature in my living room is 86.) 

This is the point where I must leave you all.  Because the hallucinations are starting to set in.  I think I just saw a mirage on the other side of the room.  Yeah.  Two palm trees and a fruity drink...


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  If you want to know what this dish was all about, check out what all the (hopefully) much cooler FFwD'ers have been up to.  I am sure at least one of them was in their right mind (perhaps our friends in the Southern Hemisphere???)  Stay cool, ya'll...

22 comments:

  1. Haha, I must say I like the Now Cher, so full of skills, adventure and humor! We are hot here all year, but not too bothered so that's why I turn my oven on every other day (my new kitchen has A/C!). It's great to know that your kids didn't resist this dish...I was ecstatic when mine didn't!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This was so funny! I do think hallucinations might be coming! When we lived in Albany, we also didn't have AC because we just HAD to buy a historical brownstone. I remember driving around with the kids in the car just to have the AC and then going to story time at the AC'd library, and then the AC'd grocery store, etc. And...then my husband tells me his is FREEZING at work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. How sweet of you to start conjuring images of Grandma Cher. I almost didn't turn the oven on for this one. I have done similar curries on the stove top without a problem - now I know that next time it's just going to simmer for a bit longer without heating up the house more than necessary. I don't have A/C either - and every degree counts!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Your dish certainly looks very tasty, did your family enjoy it?

    And I also have a strict rule where the oven does not get turned on once the temps go above 80. I grew up in Vermont so I can also fully deal with snow, but not with heat.

    ReplyDelete
  5. LOL - your posts always make me smile. I came from a meat and three veg household, so how I reached this destination I will never know.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sorry about your extended heat wave;-(
    I didn't turn the oven on for this one, cooked it in a dutch oven on the stove because my oven heats up my kitchen like a furnace! I'm glad that you appreciate your changing perspective on life and food/life, I agree it is constantly evolving;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Yes, this wasn't the best choice for summer, which is why I originally wanted to adapt it for the grill. I think I've used my stove and oven once or twice since we moved last month. Funny post! Stay cool...

    ReplyDelete
  8. Egads! Sorry this heat wave has reached you! We're in survival mode here in Oklahoma! I enjoyed reading your ruminations. When I look back I think the years our two sons were growing up were the very best years of our lives. Now that we have a grandson I feel the same way but its so enjoyable to watch our son be a father and we have great fun being grandparents. I'm glad you made this before the heat hit and I wish I had but it was worth turning the oven on!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I agree. This dish is more a winter dish, but I liked the flavors. Yours looks yummy!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Loved the perspective~ agreed how tastes and skills certainly change over the years. One of the fun things about the Dorie days have been how excited the kids get about trying the new recipes. I know they will remember these occasions which was not something I ever considered as Nana and I embarked on this journey. And we are sweating our tushies off (well, I wish it were that productive :) down here in Philly too. I don't know how Nana managed to bake all this week - AC or not, but I was too busy stuffing tarts and cake in my mouth to ask......

    ReplyDelete
  11. I so enjoy reading your posts, Cher. :) It is really hard to believe that you have such a heat wave going on where you live. I only managed to make this recipe last weekend because it had cooled down, but it promptly heated up again this week. Your pork looks great and I love your dishes. :)

    ReplyDelete
  12. Today's Cher is pretty adventurous - who amongst the French Fridays crew doesn't have a food hang up or two, anyhow?

    We've been pretty lucky here, if unseasonably cold weather is lucky. There's finally some sun forecast, but not too much heat, so I think my garden will grow and I'll avoid withering.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Definitely was not fun for me searing the pork on such a hot day - nice that you made this on a cooler day! So, you used sweet potatoes? Great idea! Your dish looks really good - and your white serving dishes are really pretty.

    ReplyDelete
  14. I feel your heat. This dish didn't look appealing to me on the website, but you make it look delicious. I might have to try it when things cool down.

    ReplyDelete
  15. My sons live in PA and have been talking about hte heat wave. As they say, we have ways at staying cool in Texas. AC, margaritas and raspas.

    ReplyDelete
  16. This heat calls for lots of margaritas and daiquiris. I made this mid-week right before the horrid weekend heat. I can relate to your woes. Yesterday, it was 87 inside and close to 100 outside. No A/C, just fans blowing warm air over me. Yuck. Hopefully this weather passes soon, and it will be stew weather soon.

    ReplyDelete
  17. You are so funny. Yes, that is extremely hot for your town...we have thinner blood out here, now I can't handle the cold. I keep my house, with air conditioning at 83^. Never have to worry about softening the butter or melting the chocolate; it just comes that way. But my sugar doesn't clump and I don't put rice in my salt shakers either, even our humid days are pretty dry compared to the east. And, good for you to have made this dish in advance so that you could create this great post...always love reading you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Young Cher sounds a lot like Young Liz...too funny! Now please stay cool!!! That heat without AC sounds unbearable!!!

    ReplyDelete
  19. It *is* hot this week! Good thing you made this early. Bring on the iced drinks and stay cool!

    ReplyDelete
  20. It is hot here too...and I used the claypot for this dish instead of a Ductch oven which I do not own one. The dish turned out delicious anyway :p Dorie never disappoint. I love her :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. I always enjoy your posts! I hope you get some relief from the heat soon. Your braised pork looks lovely in that dish.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Wow - kudos to you for planning ahead! This heat wave has been brutal (finally over here in Chicago I hope) but I survived with the help of a/c... I literally would say a thank you prayer when I got inside my apartment after each foray of walking the dog. Dark Chocolate Sorbet this week over at TWD is a much more appropriate pick for this time of year!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.