2011/08/18

In which I ramble about various & sundry items... (Egglplant Caviar)

I find that I am in need of redemption. Not redemption as in returning your soda bottles to the grocer to get your five cents back. But salvation - as in beyond hope...

You see, it's like this. I let this silly thing get the best of me.



Now the official story is that my kitchen was disgruntled with me because I was out of town for the weekend hanging out with this guy (and his brother).


Hey - it could happen.  Haven't you read Steven King's Christine?

I am sure it had absolutely nothing to do with the fact that I didn't read the recipe all the way through before I started. Nope. Or cut open the eggplant before I roasted it. Nope. And tried to rescue it by patching it together with tin foil. Nope. There is no photographic evidence to prove such a thing ever happened. Not a lick.

Just trust me when I say it wasn't pretty...  (Actually, there is not a whole lot of pretty from here on out.  But there is some good at the end.)

Confession: There was a part of me that came pretty close to calling it quits.  A myriad of excuses pushed their little path through my thoughts.  (No time.  No ingredients.  Too hot.  Too late.  Too busy.)

In the end, stubbornness won out.  I was not going to let a goofy little purple thing get the best of me (and no, I don't mean Barney - shivers...).  I marched my rear back to the grocer and found another goofy little purple thing. 
 

Oh, and it probably helped that I followed the directions second time around. 


Now, I suppose at this point, I should start some narrative how caviar is the food of kings.  And that this creamy dip is luscious enough to serve to kings or something like that.  Coming from me, that would sound pretty goofy.  I will say this was interesting - not a preparation I would normally give to eggplant. 

And very easy... once I followed the directions :-)

Click here for a link to the recipe


In other news, I am still very befuddled by the random man at the gas station this morning who decided to start hammering me about politics & next year's elections.  It was just odd.  I rarely share my political views with those closest to me - let alone complete strangers.  I told him I was in the process of relocating to another country...  He stopped bugging me at that point. 

I also tilt my head at the five teenagers I saw pushing a shopping cart down Route 50.  Nowhere near a store...  Huh?  I am pretty certain they were not planning on using their acquisition for good...
One last self indulgent ramble... why don't stores teach their cashiers & baggers how to bag?  No, I don't want my meat in the same bag as my fruit.  And no, bread should not be stood up along side cans.  I also prefer not to have my fabric softener sheets in the bag with my produce.  Just saying...

I think I have everything off my chest.  For now.  Thanks for listening!

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

29 comments:

  1. I like fish caviar and I like eggplant too. Never tried calling eggplant caviar - maybe it enhances the taste psychologically:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. No, it's not pretty! Your eggplant looks roasted to perfection, yum;-) I sliced mine and roasted it, definitely unclear on the concept!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cher, did your eggplant explode beyond recognition during roasting? If so, that happened to my 2 slender Asian eggplants too! Hahaha...no deliberate photo evidence. Funnily, the round eggplants stayed intact, perhaps it's to do with their shape and tougher skin. So happy you tried making it again, you're a real trooper. As for your other rants, they made me smile as I often think the same thoughts as well!

    ReplyDelete
  4. LOL - another pearler of a post. I have seen people get off the train with supermarket shopping trollies - scary ...

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it turned out well in the end! Kudos for trying twice.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your kitty is just like my Cleo :) And I am interested that you couldn't save the cut open eggplant - I was surprised too that you didn't have to cut them open to roast - how I would have done it by instinct. Nice save in the end tho!

    ReplyDelete
  7. ooh, glad you kept going with it! I love eggplant! It's just a fascinating piece of produce! :)
    I have a FB page for my blog now, if youre interested in following!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I think the first batch would have turned out fine, but love your story! I did read about exploding eggplants on the grill, but I am going to try the grill method, properly, to achieve a smokier flavor! Our grocery checkers at one particular store are trained to ask for a donation to the latest cause, and even the credit card swipe machine asks if you want to donate - that bugs me!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I think your dip looks great (even if it was the second time around)! Though, I was a little skeptical at the fact we had to roast the eggplant whole. That made me do a double take.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Despite the early trials, it looks like it came out great. I had trouble photographing the final product. As tasty as it is, it's really kind of ugly. Nice job plating yours.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Great photos - glad you kept at it!

    ReplyDelete
  12. So glad you've got everything off your chest! Love the cat photo...looks so peaceful and at home and king of the roost!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, I used to complain about untrained grocery baggers as well. That is, until I moved to a place where they neither bag your groceries nor provide bags with which to carry out said groceries. I guess I deserved that one.

    ReplyDelete
  14. You have more perseverance than I! Glad it was worth the extra shot! I always enjoy your musings~

    ReplyDelete
  15. The transformation of the raw aubergine to cooked is amazing. I so have to make aubergine caviar, its been a long time since i've had it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. It takes a special kind of stubborness to tackle a recipe again after initial failure. Kudos to you! As for the grocery baggers? That bothers me tremendously too! Which is why I only use the self-checkout lanes now...

    ReplyDelete
  17. Oh my, you had me chuckling!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, You are too funny...I so enjoy reading your posts! So glad your Caviar came out the second time. Have a great week-end!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Glad you had success on the second try, though the foiled together one would probably have tasted fine. It made for a good story though. Have a great weekend.

    ReplyDelete
  20. Hey Cher! Did you read The Road? Maybe the teenagers read the book or saw the movie and were trying to get ready just in case! This is good but I'd rather have baba ghanoush!

    ReplyDelete
  21. I too suffer from not reading the instructions all the way through. But your second try looked great. I think there must be something in the air that's bringing the random crazies out...

    ReplyDelete
  22. I love your story about the Eggplant Caviar! Frequently I also skip reading the entire recipe before starting, and have learned to buy back-up just incase. PS - I love the lemon wall!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I thought it was just me that thought this "easy" week was one that was going to end up the one I missed completely. Poor Nana had just about given up on me and thought we probably wouldn't post. Between work, kid's jobs and then making time for their friends by playing "Call of Duty" all night on X-box, hubby's knee surgery, college visits....the eggplant easily could have won out in our household. It is always great to finish the recipe, let the family taste it and enjoy the accomplishment. Even if we clean the kitchen on Saturday.....PS- thanks for the great birthday comment for Nana- we both loved it !

    ReplyDelete
  24. Good for you for trying it again, Cher! Sounds like you have a lot of interesting things going on there. I hope you have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  25. You gave me a couple of good laughs...thanks. And your eggplant is much prettier than mine, even though the outsides don't count. I too am learning to be a better reader...with these new recipes that I have not made over and over and over I have to be more careful...and because of that I am actually learning new things. Fun. Have a great week.

    ReplyDelete
  26. It sounds like the unco-operative eggplant was the least of your worries this week! I'm glad you triumphed in the end. Is that homemade pita bread with it?

    ReplyDelete
  27. Cher... I am glad I did not give this a miss. I made some sopes to go with it :) Marvelous taste ! and I love it !

    ReplyDelete
  28. "In the process of relocating to another country"!! Sounds just like something I would say. I too find eggplant has many mysteries when trying to work it into various dishes. It's not just you. Eggplant is delicious but mysterious.

    ReplyDelete
  29. I need to use the relocation one... that's awesome. Glad you got through it! I did mine late and with the tiniest eggplant I've ever seen (since I couldn't find anything decent at the local market and wasn't willing to shop futher afield). OK, but I'm with you - love the feeling of completing something.

    Great post as always!!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.