2011/08/11

It's not you, it's me... (French Fridays with Dorie: Salmon in a Jar w/ a side of potato salad...)

Sometimes in life, you know that things were just not meant to be...
 


Sometimes, things are just totally wrong...

Like a dough recipe that calls for 3 TABLEspoons of yeast for 4 1/2 cups of flour.  In that case - it's not me, it's you...


In other cases, despite everything being "right", the stars just aren't lining up. 


For example, my freshman year of college...

I had a boyfriend that we shall call "Troy".  Now "Troy" was everything a BF should be.  Good looking.  Check.  Athletic.  Check.  Had his own car.  Check.  Employed.  Check.  Intelligent.  Double check.  Good manners.  Check. 


Despite all these wonderful qualities, I knew it wasn't going to work out.  It wasn't him.  It was me...

The story ended well - "Troy" went on to date one of my suite mates and eventually went on to marry a nice girl and start a nice family. Last I heard, he was a high school principal somewhere in New Jersey.
 

This week, salmon in a jar was my "Troy".  Sigh. 


On a totally random and unrelated note, I threw in a picture of The Runner Girl from running camp @ Dartmouth because her outfit reminded me of the salmon & onions in the jar.  Weird, huh? 

This is her senior year, so I should give everyone fair warning that I am going to be prone to frequent sentimental bouts throughout cross-country season.  (Which ends in November).  So please accept my apologies in advance - it could get messy.   



The burger hiding in the back is a sneak preview of the Cafe Salle Pleyel hamburger coming at the end of the month.  The potato salad is the potatoes that were supposed to be in a jar alongside the salmon.  They didn't make it into the jar - how did that happen????

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie

25 comments:

  1. Agreed. Brave of you to try to make it work. I chickened out and did the roasted version. Bad. Just bad.

    ReplyDelete
  2. They can't all be winners. Pat yourself on the back for trying.

    ReplyDelete
  3. at least you tried! I think that's the beauty of something like this, it pushes you and you wind up trying things you never would have considered otherwise. Maybe you can roast what you have left and make something nice with it. I made pasta!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You know what, Cher? There is always a good reason why why things don't turn out the way they should or how you planned them to be. Perhaps because better things are in store for you, like The Runner Girl (think about it, with Troy? mehh...), that Cafe Salle Pleyel burger and the potato salad. The salmon scared the hell outta me too, but just for giving it a try, Cher, you're MY hero.

    Thanks for a piece of the pie, and big hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  5. We liked the salmon better than the potatoes, so it's probably for the best that your potatoes didn't quite make it into the jar. The burger looks yummy and I can't wait to make it!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Sometimes it's just not meant to be.

    Happy to hear that you gave it a try though. We are really looking forward to giving the burger a try in a couple weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Ah yes... the perfectly fine, but not for me recipe. I didn't even try it, but my good friend from college bravely stepped in. I wish I could have a taste of it - but just that!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Very funny, the color of her pants perfectly match the color of the onions - now I will start to connect people with food if I find an opportunity:) The meal sounds absolutely delicious. Have a great weekend

    ReplyDelete
  9. Another entertaining post, Cher...sorry you weren't a fan of this one!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cher...thanks for sharing a great post. I have tried to connect people to food...I learn something from you here :) Not many like cured salmon but I do love salmon no matter how they are prepared :)

    Have a nice trip,
    Elin

    ReplyDelete
  11. Ha! Love that you made potato salad instead of putting them in the jar. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Hi Cher, I didn't really understand why salmon should go in a jar, cookies-yes, salmon-no! I took a break from FFWD this week and would rather enjoy a burger with potato salad than salmon in a jar, sorry reminds me of bait;-)

    ReplyDelete
  13. My potatoes sucked the big one, so it's all for the best that you had potato salad instead! I'm looking forward to all of the off-track ramblings from you this year!!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Great post. Have a safe trip. Thanks for the note about Jennie too.

    ReplyDelete
  15. A great post Cher - at least you made salmon in a jar. The burger looks delish - I am looking forward to making it.

    ReplyDelete
  16. I so miss my kids being in cross-country, Cher. Enjoy every moment of her senior year! I'm glad you had a chance to make this. We really were surprised that we enjoyed this one! Have a great time with your brother!

    ReplyDelete
  17. You never know until you try. How funny that runner girl's outfit matched this dish. Thanks for the burger preview. Can't wait to try that one.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Cher, Beautiful job! I passed on this one ...I don't eat raw fish. Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Lol. Your post made me laugh and you KNOW it is right up my alley. I have been away on vacation and had a whole plan lined up to catch up with what I missed but the more I read, the more I think I will skip "the jar".

    ReplyDelete
  20. Lol :) I love the analogies! I loved the salmon, sorry you didn't like it! Then again, I didn't really 'jar' it as much as tupperware-d it for a while :)

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hmmm ... Seems many of us sat out this week. Cute post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Thanks for the birthday wishes, it was a great week. Hope you
    enjoyed your vacation, it's nice to visit family.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Fun stories, nice blog. Total experiment for me too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I did the opposite of what you did - my potatoes made it into the jar, but the salmon ended up being roasted. I liked both.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.