2011/08/04

Slow & Easy wins the race (Slow Roasted Tomatoes - appearing as a summer vegetables wrapped in a Chia Flatbread)

Tomatoes.  To-mat-oes.  Tomatoes.  What to do with tomatoes?  That have been roasted. 


I am a bit of a tomato neutral gal.  Don't love them.  Don't hate them.  They have their use - kind of like celery.  But I just can't get excited over them.  (Although the brown ones that have been popping up in the stores have kind'a caught my eye...)

Tomatoes are to food what the Pips are to Gladys Knight.  Sorry - I know that all the tomato lovers out there are crying out in revolt.  My own dear mama is probably shaking her head and trying very hard not tell me to "stop being so difficult".  (Because I am and can be - difficult, that is). 


Yes, my difficult self was left to my own devices.  Me and my campari tomatoes.  That spent three hours in the oven on a beautiful Saturday morning. 


What to do?  What to do?


Well, I gave them the same treatment I have been giving to every other vegetable that has passed my way lately...  I worked them into a kale dish.  (I'm on this weird kale kick.  Don't know why don't know how.  It's just there.)

They ended up tossed in with some sauteed summer squash, zucchini and of course...kale.  Veggies are our friends - go make some friends. 

See - they even look like they want to make friends with you...  I am sure they are calling your name.  Just like they called mine. 


And folded into a chia seed wrap.  Because I am as fixated on these wraps as I am with kale.  Because  I think these wraps are awesome.  They have flax and chia seeds in them.  Which are good to eat and good for you. 

When you fill them with veggies, you are being so good that the angels will weep for you.  I am certain this must be so...



Here is the recipe I have been using for the chia seed flat breads - just in case you want the angels to weep for you too (happy weeping, not bad weeping...)
Adapted from King Arthur Flour website

1 cup durum semolina flour
1 cup unbleached bread flour

1/2 tsp salt
1 tsp instant yeast
2 Tbs ground flax
2 Tbs chia seeds
2 Tbs butter, room temperature
3/4 cup warm water


In the bowl of a stand mixer (with flat paddle attachment), stir together the dry ingredients.  Still using the paddle attachment, add the butter and water and mix until ingredients are well incorporated ("shaggy dough").  Switch to kneading attachment and knead until dough is smooth.

Form into a ball and place in a greased bowl.  Cover.  Let rise until really puffy (~1 hour) - dough won't necessarily double.


After rising, turn dough out onto a greased surface and gently deflate.  Fold dough over a couple of times.  Divide dough into six even pieces & roll each piece into a ball.  Cover with a damp towel & let them rest for ~10 minutes (you want them to RELAX...)


Preheat a large frying pan or griddle using medium-high heat.  While the pan is heating, roll the first ball of dough into what is roughly a 8" circle (if you are anything like me, a circle would be a very loose term). Your "disks" should be a ~1/8" thick.

Brush the pan lightly with oil (I used safflower) and place the first "disk" in the pan.  Cook the first side for ~1-2 minutes (it will start to bubble and lightly brown).  Flip it and cook on the other side for ~1 minute or until the dough becomes firm. 

Once I place a disk in the pan, I start rolling out my second disk.  There should be enough cooking time to accomplish this...
Once the breads are done, stack on a plate, covered with a clean towel (this helps "soften" them up so they are pliable & keeps them warm).  Continue rolling and frying until all dough is used - re grease pan as needed. 

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  I am pretty curious too see what treatment all of the rest of the FFwD'ers gave to these tomatoes...

Happy Friday!

29 comments:

  1. I haven't eaten nearly enough vegetables lately. You've shamed me. lol The book I'm cooking from is not very veggie-centric. I realized at dinner today that my veg consumption has gotten ridiculously low. Must remedy that. Those flatbreads sound interesting. I never heard of chia seeds.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I wasn't inspired to do the slow and easy tomatoes this week, but I'm glad to see you made good use of them. But oh, that chia and flax flatbread is just screaming to be made in my kitchen!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I like this FFWD simple tomato recipe-you've put together a yummy healthy meal with your tomatoes. The wrap idea is fun and I would also like to try the flatbread recipe. I'm happy you're heat wave broke so you could enjoy your kitchen, especially the oven, once again!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My tomatoes are soaking in oil and my post sits on the drafts folder. I really liked these tomatoes, although I wish I roasted them for a bit longer. Also used camparis! That wrap looks so healthy - what I should be eating now!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I might just have to try your flatbread recipe. Looks amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Love how creative you got with this one! Thanks for the flatbread recipe! Can't wait to give it a try!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Everything looks amazing! For not loving tomatoes, you should found great uses for them! I do have to say I'm a little offended that you compared tomatoes to celery (I abhor celery!).
    StephI

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yum!!! What a delicious wrap...and I'm SO glad you provided the recipe...mmmmmm.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher...that was a great idea ...wrapping them in with chia seed flatbread...so healthy! Thanks for sharing the recipe for the flatbread. I shall try making the flatbread.

    I served mine with the pan fried dijon mustard pork chop :)

    Have a great weekend,
    Elin

    ReplyDelete
  10. What a great idea to serve them in a veggie wrap! I'll have to try this chia flatbread.

    ReplyDelete
  11. oh wow! so many great ideas!! your squash looks so yummy with the tomatoes!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your dish looks absolutely delicious! I love kale too, but I don't see it too often around here in the summer.

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yum, yum! What a fab idea to wrap them up that way - looks amazing! :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. Such a great idea to include them in a veggie wrap. I am going to make some more so I can do that!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your tomatoes look wonderful. I'm afraid I did mine "Arizona style" with no baking, but I'm inspired by your wraps!

    ReplyDelete
  16. I have never heard of a chia and flax wrap, but it looks and sounds delicious with all your vegetables!

    ReplyDelete
  17. These called out to me both from the page and after I made them. Glad you liked them after all. Are the chia seeds in your bread the same seeds for a chia pet? How fun!

    ReplyDelete
  18. Everything you've put into your wraps (including the flatbread) is so full of nutrients - it's like a health bomb. There's a company called Silver Hills here that makes a gluten-free chia bread that I just love. It's much better than most conventional sandwich breads and it's so healthy.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Wow- as I started reading this it never occured to me that the chia wraps were HOMEMADE ??? Oh my. Love love love it. Unfortunately I am barely squeaking through these recipes lately so if the flat breads get made it will be compliments of Nana :) How lucky for you that you are into these and KALE (which Nana loves)- while I tend to be stuck on sweets. Next week will be an adventure for sure - I may need to make this one ahead of time ....as opposed to finishing on Friday or late Thurs night :)

    ReplyDelete
  20. I thought you were joking about the chia flatbread--my only association with chia is the old chia pets. But they do look good. Me, I like tomatoes better than kale, but you made me laugh with the Gladys and the pips comparison, so it's all right.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cher, You are beyond clever and I love your Blog. Always something to learn. Always something to try. Always something to be amazed about. Thank you for all three.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Tomato neutral people unite. I too am on a kale kick I have a lovely bunch waiting in my fridge right now. Thanks for the recipe I will definitely try it next time.

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a healthy light meal. Seems like the bigger tomatoes works well as they are more substantial than the grape tomatoes. I'll have to try that wrap recipe soon too!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Those veggie wraps looks delish! I'm getting so inspired by all the different ways these tomatoes can be used. Thank you for sharing the recipe for the flat breads. How long do they keep?

    ReplyDelete
  25. That looks beautiful Cher!! That's one more way to eat up these tomatoes! :)

    ReplyDelete
  26. I think I would love those roasted veggies wrapped in a flatbread! I might add a bit of goat cheese, too. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  27. @ KarenP - well-wrapped, they keep pretty good for about three days.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I've been doing this for years. Well, actually, my brother who grows his own tomatoes has been doing this for years and I just beg him to give me some. I use them in pastas. I'll be doing this one soon for sure as I need to learn to be more self sufficient.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.