2011/09/17

Comfort meets a sense of accomplishment (Homemade Ginger Syrup)

"EVERYONE" knows that I don't feel great when I am seen carrying around a bottle of ginger ale.  It is hands down the number one thing I want when I am not feeling "quite the thing".  I don't drink it any other time.  Weird, huh? 


However, when I saw this recipe for homemade ginger syrup, I was intrigued.  Because even though I don't "drink the ale" when I am feeling good, I love me some ginger. 

And homemade syrup.  Well.  That just screams "go there".  So I followed the scream...



There is something kind of soothing about taking this big gnarly THING and watching it get chopped into smithereens...


And the process of watching "chunks in water" transform into a thickened syrup (kind of like watching water boil, but slower).  Much.  Much. Slower. 


Since I had three cups of this lovely ginger-sugar pulp, I went the extra step and candied the ginger & dried it on low heat in the oven to make "ginger chunks" (kind of look like granola clusters). 


At the end of the day, one cup of plain seltzer was added to 1-1.5 Tbs of concentrated syrup to make a refreshing ginger ale drink. 

The candied ginger now sits in a jar on my counter - ready to be pulverized in my mortar & pestle for recipes calling for ground ginger.  Or to be steeped in hot water for a ginger "tea". 


This one was a little bit of a project, but a worthwhile project to add to the "wow, I didn't know I could do that at home" list. 

For the recipe, please follow the link to Joy the Baker.  Because, other than 1.5'ing the recipe.  I followed it.  To the "T".  For real.

7 comments:

  1. I saw the same recipe you did and bookmarked it. I'm glad it worked for you. I was thinking this could be quite christmasy and/or a nice thing to give people at the holidays. Perhaps use in a cocktail? I think that ginger pulp would be good chopped up and put into Asian salads!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ginger syrup and candied ginger are like a part of doctor prescription for Winter. Must try these when I see fresh ginger at markets. I can even take candied ginger to my office! Thanks for the idea!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ginger tea is so very soothing and the candied ginger will be perfect for desserts and cookies. I don't think I have had ginger syrup, but it sounds really good. My mom always gave us ginger ale to settle our tummies when we were little. It's just one of those comfort drinks that you only want when you aren't feeling well. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great idea! Hope you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oooh, so many uses for this lovely syrup! Like Trevor, I think this would be marvelous in a cocktail :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Ginger ale is my go-to drink when I'm socializing... God, I hope that doesn't say anything bad/boring about me! ;-) We love fresh ginger for cooking in our home and because it's cheap, we always buy really big bags of it every time we go to the market. Never turned it into drinks, though, but now you've got me intrigued with this recipe. So glad you followed the scream, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  7. I love ginger and often buy candied ginger just to eat as is. Would love some ginger syrup maybe it will scream at me, too!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.