2011/09/15

Steps (Cinnamon Crunch Chicken)

At times, life feels like one step after another...


A first step tentatively taken on wobbly feet. 

A first day of school. 

A first sleepover at a friend's house.

A first date.

A first kiss.


Learning how to drive. 

Graduating from high school.

Going to college. 

Graduating from college.

The first job.

The first car.

The first apartment. 

The first house. 


At some point in life, the firsts veer away from being "rites of passage" in the life cycle and take on the shape of your personal interests.  

Sometimes these steps are major life decisions - change of job, starting a family, moving. 

And then some are more about coming into your own - becoming you.  Learning a new skill.  Travelling to a new location.  Trying things you would have never tried before.  

Going outside of your comfort zone.   



Somehow, I have to tie all of this back to Cinnamon Crunch Chicken... And taking the step of smothering chicken tenders in a sauce of creme fraiche & ginger-cinnamon cookies.  Ah, yes - going outside of your comfort zone - that is the tie-in. 

I realize that crunching up cookies isn't as monumental as picking up and moving across the country.  But it took a step - ok, a leap - of faith.  Because I really had no idea how it was all going to work out.  And my family was looking at me like I had suddenly turned into a three-headed dog (hey, if I have to be a mythological creature, Cerberus is NOT my first choice). 

I shrugged and explained it was a French Friday with Dorie recipe.  The looks didn't leave their faces.  Maybe they sensed my dubious state.  Fortunately, by the time the chicken and creme fraiche mixture were ready to join forces, the cookies had melted into the creme - resulting in a subtly flavored sauce.  The sum of the ingredients was far less scary than the individual components. 

And it was pronounced good.  Whew.  And I was relieved. 



This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Come check out the chicken-y goodness all the rest have been up to this week...

26 comments:

  1. Great post and the chicken sounds awesome-- leave it to Dorie to combine creme fraiche, cookies and chicken and and have it taste amazing! The sweet and savory sounds really good!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Love the tie-in, Cher.. I can never write that creatively! Everyone's cinnamon crunch chicken looks so saucy (lol, that sounded weird), maybe I read the recipe wrongly or I just put in too many speculoos cookies. It seemed such a waste to spend all that time baking them and only use two. So I put in 5 cookies!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Looks good Cher! Sometimes you do need to just dive right in and cook that chicken with cookies and cream! I'm glad it was a hit at your house;-)

    ReplyDelete
  4. So glad everyone liked this dish! I was pretty wary of it going in, but it was surprisingly tasty. Definitely on the list of things I NEVER would have tried if not for FFwD.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'm glad it was a good recipe and sad I didn't get to try it this week. My 14 year old dog punctured her eye creating an ulcer,so cooking was just not in my steps.

    This looks really delicious, and I adore your photos and tie in to all the firsts in life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This absolutely tasted good - I thought it was weird too, but then I tasted it and was blown away.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks very good. And you'll have to forgive your family, I mean it DOES sound like an awfully weird combination. But most of the reviews I have read so far have been positive, so I am looking forward to giving it a try myself.

    ReplyDelete
  8. Yes we were very skeptical about this as well but loved it a lot. I will be using crème fraîche (now that I can buy it close to home!) in other dishes like this for a quick sauce! Happy weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  9. @ Diva - sorry to hear about your dog. Will keeps fingers crossed for the best outcome.
    @ Expat - I don't mind being looked at like a character from mythology - I would just hope for one that's a little more pleasant :-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I will give this another try with the proper cookies, but I still think it's more Rachael Ray than Dorie's style ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  11. Glad this was a good step outside your comfort zone. Your chicken looks delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  12. If we are brave enough to tackle these little curveballs Dorie throws us in the kitchen, there is no limit as to what we can pull off elsewhere. What a beautiful post, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Looking at yours really makes me drool. Mine was drier...haha coz I added only 1 tbsp of cream.
    Thanks for sharing this beautiful post with us. I love reading this :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. I was skeptical, too...but I was imagining an ultra cinnamony dish with chunks of cookie. This was much more subtle...and glad your family liked it! Great post, Cher~

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm using more "sauce" next time. I like this quick recipe, but after looking around, I like the more saucy versions. Great pics and always enjoy your post. I had a hard time generating personal excitement for this recipe, but it turned out to be pretty good and smelled really great with the spices.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Looks great! My family didn't look at me like I was crazy, because I didn't tell them what we were having until I served it.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love the post - I was super nervous about it myself! Yours looks lovely.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Loved your build up and that it had a happy ending. I was skeptical too, cookies and creme and chicken? (But I didn't like it as much as you did)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I'm so glad everyone liked it. Really enjoyed reading your post - as always!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Great post - thank you for giving me time to pause. It's nice to not always focus on the just the recipe but everything else swirling around with it.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Does it get you thinking of what other kinds of cookies you could put into something like creme fraiche to make a sauce??? :) lol, glad you liked yours! Mine was a bit too sour to stomach on day one, but by day two, much more mellow and delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Nice post...and delicious looking chicken. I was away for the weekend and didn't get to make this one!

    ReplyDelete
  23. What a fun post! I love posts like this! I haven't made this yet. Perhaps at xmas when I'm tempted to fire up that speculoo recipe again (and remember to not forget the egg!) so I don't have to buy a box. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  24. What a great post Cher!
    You stepped out of your comfort zone while I took the easy, lazy way out! I admire that! The chicken looks pretty good!

    ReplyDelete
  25. Very clever! Glad the family liked it.

    ReplyDelete
  26. I love how the week's recipe can lead into stories or reflections - great post! The chicken looks really good. I'm going to have to try it some time.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.