2011/10/20

Back to basics (FFwD Pissaladière)

Don't let this happen to you: if "someone" decides they want to change out an outlet that runs along the same circuit as your major kitchen appliances while you are trying to make a Sunday dinner...  Don't be accommodating.  Just say "no". 

Trust. Me. On. This.  Please.

Yes, I know one corner is devoid of olives...  Was keeping the peace with the picky eater by leaving a "piece" "uncontaminated".  Hey, sometimes you just have to roll with it.
Any hoo...

We will totally stay away from the fact that I can't get the word "Pissaladière" out of my mouth.  I just don't know how to pronounce it (through "extensive Google-ing" I found that one site suggested "pee-sah-lah-dee-air" - since I am sure I will still butcher it, I will continue to refrain from saying the word out loud.  This is my gift to humanity).  I shall affectionately dub it "the P word". 

Totally cheated.  Six onions.  Pretty slices. Yep. There was only one way this was going down.
Any hoo, again...

I had a few "Doubting Thomases" about how much these were going to cook down. 
The two main features of "the P word" (caramelized onions & yeasted dough) were things I could really get behind.  Dough and I are as thick as thieves.  Onions slowly cooked to golden perfection.  Come to momma.
 
This picture has nothing to do with anything, but I was hand slicing six pounds of home cured bacon while I was cooking the onions... I am a proud bacon mama.
An hour and a half later (which may or may not have had something to do with the "situation" in the kitchen, I had some golden onions.  And the house smelled pretty amazing.  At least better than the former smell of wet, smelly sneakers.  Caramelized onions.  Far superior smell.  Just sayin'

This is about the point where I lost outlets & appliances.  Just as I was about to make the dough... 
Oh, and then there are the anchovies and olives.  I have no issues with either.  But I knew the anchovies would create quite the reactions among all the peeps.  So I had to get sneaky...Like I usually am when it comes to anchovies (they are my secret ingredient after all).  So they appear IN with the onions, but not ON TOP of the onions.  A girl has to do what a girl has to do.

And well, we won't talk about the corner that was left naked in the name of world peace.  Because. Well.  Just because.


I really don't think I have to tell everyone whether or not this was good.  Because dough and caramelized onions are involved.  And how could that not be just swell.  Confession: the only oil-cured olives I could get my hands on were kind of suspicious looking.  They were in sorry looking jars sitting behind some other olives at a local grocer.  So I said "no thanks" and went for the Kalamatas.  Not official, true.  But in this circumstance - probably the safer option.  Safety first, man.  Safety first.

Dorie's recipe for Pissaladière appears here on Fine Cooking's website.  It is pretty much as it appears in Around My French Table.

Trust me, there were no leftovers...
This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.  Head on over and check out every one else's creations.  Seriously... Check them out.

37 comments:

  1. Loved your diplomatic efforts to keep the peace at Casa de Cher. For the record, breaking out the mandolin is not cheating! That bacon looks amazing too.

    ReplyDelete
  2. That looks great! I'm even more excited to make it now. We were supposed to have it for dinner tonight, but life got in the way. I'll try for tomorrow.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This sounds awesome, bit like the French pizza topped with caramelised onion - maybe the P word is the French version of pizza.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with Adriana - a mandolin is absolutely not cheating. And I cheer your wise efforts at world peace - olives aren't worth it.

    Caramelized onions, maybe. Kalamatas, def. not.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Cher...I could not find the canned anchovies so I used dried anchovies and pan fried them instead...it was yummy just the same. Yours looks delicious ! Hey those home cured bacon looks yummy...pls share how you cured them :) I am also a bacon mama :p

    ReplyDelete
  6. Glad there were no leftovers - I had to throw out two pieces at work. There is no way I could have done this without my trusty mandoline.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This was good, huh? Love your mandolined ovens but a pity that they were all mooshy once they were cooked, right? I of course did something different (don't eat anchovies) but was mainly pleased that the dough and I got along well this time ;) (PS: Your home cured bacon is totally Charcutepalooza-worthy!)

    ReplyDelete
  8. @ Mardi - Yeah, I can see how one might like a little more texture on the onions. Personally, I love how the onions cook down to a jam-like consistency - in fact, I sometimes make an onion-jam to smear on toast, etc. (Especially good on a nice crusty whole grain bread)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher, your P word looks positively alluring, even with the hidden anchovies. Now why I didn't think of using my mandoline for those darn onions, I'll never know...sometimes I get blindsided by the fact that I don't have all the ingredients required for a recipe - like anchovies or olives in this case! Anyhoo, my post isn't up yet. Got to do with some video editing hoohaa and yes, yawn-inducing house chores...but I shall have it done in a few hours, promise. ;-)

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm impressed you kept olives off one corner. I left the olives and anchovies off all corners of my pissaladiere!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yum, I really liked this one as well, but like you, I was absolutely expecting to. Caramelized onions and I are fast friends. And I see no issue with your diplomatic efforts, sometimes it's just easier.

    ReplyDelete
  12. I liked you're story around the pissaladiere. And you're home cured bacon, delicious. I want to try that sometime later.
    Probably isn't a recipe covered in our book.

    ReplyDelete
  13. To make peace in our house I would have had to leave all the ingredients off the crust :) Always love to read your take on our Dorie dish, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Count me in team anchovy! There was nothing not to love about this dish!

    ReplyDelete
  15. I probably should have used the mandoline, but sometimes I use chopping and slicing as therapy ;-) Although my throat was getting a bit dry, my eyes were watering, and it totally ruined the taste of my wine I was drinking! Love your humor and stories!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Your bacon looks amazing. And besides, behind onions and dough... isn't that the 3rd food group? Good work for sticking this out with all of the other things going on.

    oh, and I like anchovies too

    ReplyDelete
  17. Isn't keeping the peace part of every mother's job description? My onions (which I made the night before) took 2 hours, with no appliance hiccups. I'm definitely both on Team Anchovy AND Team Caramelized Onions.

    ReplyDelete
  18. LOL!! "come to momma!" ... I will be sneaking things into food for Mei when she is a bit older, I'm just glad that my husband really doesnt dislike any one food, maybe in different combinations, but not usually! :) we liked this one, although it was a tad salty for us.

    ReplyDelete
  19. Your p-dish looks fantastic, and I agree with all the above that mandoline-ing is not at all a cheat, just a wise choice. I went with kalamata olives as well, but not for safety's sake but rather for laziness' sake.

    ReplyDelete
  20. I had to go the diplomatic route too, only with cheese & pepperoni ;) Your onions look perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  21. I'm afraid to utter the "P-word" too! I did use Nicoise olive, but I was thinking I might light the saltier Kalamatas better, so I think you made a good choice. I enjoyed your post!

    ReplyDelete
  22. I just used canned black olives ('cause that's what I had), and it still tasted great.

    ReplyDelete
  23. I could not handle the anchovies...but I put them on for my photos and then peeled them off. I loved everything else. Yours looks perfect! Have a great weekend!

    ReplyDelete
  24. I went with the Kalamatas too. We have a quart left from a party. Gotta do, what you gotta do. And I hid the anchovies in the onions from myself. Love your OXO slicer - used one for the first time last week to shred green papaya. LOVED it. Good looking dough you got there, and the bacon's not bad either. Couldn't resist tweeting.

    ReplyDelete
  25. Hi Cher - good advise! Great post, looking forward to next weeks. PS, thanks for the suggestion regarding leaving comments - using a different computer this week

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yours looks so good. I had to do the same thing and sneak the anchovies in and didn't put them on top either. :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. It looks great! I would have had a hard time not adding the bacon too! I was close to subbing bacon fat for the olive oil, but stuck to the recipe. Next time I going for bacon!

    ReplyDelete
  28. How clever you are...way to go with your secret ingredient. And I love your home cured bacon...very impressive!

    ReplyDelete
  29. This month has been all about great, multi-syllabic words, hasn't it? I used canned black olives, myself - didn't have a chance to go to a deli. I don't think it spoiled it, at all. You're a great Mom for keeping a corner "untainted" for your kid. I think the caramelized onions absolutely make this dish, so she wasn't missing that much.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Looks fantastic! Loved your post as usual....

    ReplyDelete
  31. That bacon looks fantastic, and proud you should be. I love the look
    of your pissaladiere, makes me want to try again. Isn't it amazing how
    we try to make a recipe to satisfy everyone. I always had to separate
    some of our pasta dishes because not everyone liked gravy. You do what
    you have to. Great job, and the pictures are wonderful as usual.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Looks beautiful. I made mine with the puff pastry, but you just might have convinced me to try out the dough! You are far more diplomatic than I am ... everyone had to eat the olives and the anchovies at my house!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I actually put the anchovies in the onions AND added a bit of paste to the onions. I had to laugh when one at my table peeled off the anchovies and declared she liked "it better without". You are one smart cookie!

    ReplyDelete
  34. Nana actually gave me a heads up when I was running out of time and announced that "you won't like it" :) I had to laugh - I thought she registered the recipe as a flop but no....she and my Dad loved it. She knows I am not an anchovie fan. If I had been at her house I imagine she would have left a corner plain as well. Yours looks gorgeous and now I want to go buy a mandolin. How do I NOT have one ? And that bacon is ridiculously gorgeous. Glad your circuits are all on board again !!

    ReplyDelete
  35. Nana actually gave me a heads up when I was running out of time and announced that "you won't like it" :) I had to laugh - I thought she registered the recipe as a flop but no....she and my Dad loved it. She knows I am not an anchovie fan. If I had been at her house I imagine she would have left a corner plain as well. Yours looks gorgeous and now I want to go buy a mandolin. How do I NOT have one ? And that bacon is ridiculously gorgeous. Glad your circuits are all on board again !!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.