2011/10/05

Cookie Time (Peanut-Butter Cup Peanut Butter Cookies)

Cookies & I don't often cross paths in the kitchen. 



I like cookies.  (If you looked at my butt right now, you would concur - I am working on that, by the way, just re-joined the YMCA & gym time starts tonight... Say "good bye" cookie butt.) 

BUT I don't like making cookies.  More accurately, I don't mind making cookie dough - it's the whole shaping thing that gets to me.

Too much individual attention. 

Seriously. 

It seems kind of "needy".  High maintenance & I don't always do so well together. 

Confession: I probably owned my stand mixer a year before the first batch of cookies ran through her.  She made countless cakes.  Many bread doughs.  Pasta galore.  But no cookies.  Yeah, it's like that.


But the "little people" like them, so occasionally I have to put the cookie making skills to use.  (Like the 36 dozen I made for my niece's wedding - only an act of love could have pulled that one off). 

Yeah. 


Fortunately, the cookie scoop (thank you for that invention) and a teen-aged cookie roller make this simple recipe even easier (for me...).  If one wasn't the whiny type (pleading the fifth here), one might say that these come together very easily and aren't much of a hassle to make (please don't tell anyone I said that - my secret would be out). 

Side note: I am not usually a shortening kind of girl, but it does make for one heck of a good cookie.  I pinkie swear.  And chocolate & peanut butter.  There is just nothing bad to say about that combination.  They were meant to be together.  BFF and all that.


Peanut Butter Cup-Peanut Butter Cookies
Adapted from Crisco

1/2 cup shortening
1/2 cup creamy natural peanut butter
1/2 cup light brown sugar, firmly packed
1/2 cup granulated sugar
1 large egg
2 Tbs milk
1 tsp vanilla extract
1 3/4 cup unbleached all-purpose flour
1 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp salt
Additional sugar, for rolling (~1/3 cup)
~48 mini Reese's cups

Note - this works best if all ingredients are room temperature.

Preheat oven to 375F. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, cream together shortening, peanut butter & sugars.  Cream until mixture light & fluffy. (I like to start off on low and increase the speed to medium - giving ~5 minutes mixing time).  One at a time, beat in egg, milk, vanilla.  Scraping bowl down between the addition of each ingredient.  

Sift together flour, baking soda & salt.  Add to creamed mixture.  At this point, you don't want to over beat the mixture or you'll get tough cookies...  Mix on low until stiff dough just forms.  

Shape into 1" balls. Then roll in the sugar & place on ungreased cookie sheet.  Give them their space - ~2" will do the trick.  Bake @ 375F for ~10 minutes (until lightly golden brown on top).  

As soon as cookies come out of oven, firmly (but carefully) press a peanut butter cup into the cookie (the cookie may crack a little - that's okay - you just don't want to get a total blow out).

Transfer to a rack & cool.  

Makes ~48 cookies.     

5 comments:

  1. Peanut butter and chocolate are my favorite combinations. These look so good. Good for you for joining the gym especially with winter right around the corner. I need to get my butt in gear!

    ReplyDelete
  2. hahaha, great job in shaping those cookies

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not going to lie: when I saw the recipe was from Crisco I immediately knew those cookies would be delicious.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Ha haaa, I got a good laugh about the high-maintenance cookies. So true. And 36 dozen cookies? That is a serious labor of love! These look so good and I agree that crisco makes a nice soft chewy cookie-- which cookies should be!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, YUM! I put chocolate stars in my version for Xmas, but I'm definitely going to try the pb cups for my two Reeses fans!!! I know they will be thrilled!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.