2011/11/15

In honor of National Bundt Day (Mexican Chocolate Cake)


If I realized it, I would have baked a cake...


However, I did have this beauty languishing in my "drafts" folder - waiting for the perfect occasion...  And according to Mary, The Food Librarian, today is that occasion.

See the fiery red Cayenne?  It's in there...
 In celebration of "Big Bundts", here is a chocolaty, spicy creation just destined to be shared on a day like today.  If you enjoy a cup of Mexican hot chocolate in the morning & can handle your Cayenne, then I have a cake for you...


I totally forgot how much I liked this cake.  There may be a "Big Bundt" in my near future after all...

Other Bundt-love from posts past include this Scandinavian Gold Cake and this Avocado Spice Cake.


Adapted from Hannaford.com

3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder + 1 Tbs for the pan
2 1/4 cups all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1/2 tsp baking powder
1/2 tsp baking soda
1 Tbs ground cinnamon
1/4 tsp ground Cayenne
1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, softened
2 cups sugar
2 oz bittersweet chocolate, melted and cooled slightly
6 eggs
1 Tbs vanilla extract
1 cup plain Greek yogurt


Directions:


Preheat oven to 325F.  Grease Bundt pan (one 10" pan) - I like to use a paper towel with a bit of shortening on it. Dust greased pan with cocoa powder - making sure that any crevices are covered.  (You can use flour, but then your cake will have a funky white crust...).

Sift remaining dry ingredients into a bowl & set aside. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer (or a large bowl if using a beater), cream butter and sugar at medium to high speed until light and fluffy.  Stop to scrap down the side every minute or so. It will take about 3-5 minutes for the "fluff" factor to set in.  Stir in the melted chocolate & the vanilla. Add eggs - on egg at a time - beat well after each addition - don't forget to scrape down the sides of the bowl. 


At low speed, add 1/3 of the flour mixture - only until just incorporated.  Don't over beat. Stir in 1/2 of the yogurt.  Lightly mix in the 2nd third of the flour.  Then add the remaining yogurt and finally the last portion of flour - until flour is just incorporated. Spread the batter into the prepared pan, using your spatula, smooth out the top of the batter (you may also want to give the pan a couple of thuds on the counter to help work out any air bubbles).


Cake should take about 50-65 minutes, until a toothpick or wooden skewer inserted in the center comes out fairly clean (a few crumbs are okay). Cool the cake in its pan on a wire rack for a half hour.

Using a knife, loosen the cake from the edges of the pan.  Say a quick prayer and invert onto a serving platter. 

I like to eat mine a slightly warm with a dollop of Kahlua-whipped cream or a side of cinnamon ice-cream.  Or you can skip the cream and just have your Kahlua straight up.  Your choice...  Alternatively, you could sprinkle with a dusting of powdered sugar.  Like I said - your choice. 

13 comments:

  1. Looks delicious! I like the bit of cayenne in the batter.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Oh, yeah, the bit of spiciness is a fabulous touch! And brava for getting the cake out of the pan (my downfall when it comes to Bundts!). Yummy cake, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I didn't find out about this Bundt Day thing until this morning. I wanna play too! There may be a bundt in my near future. There's a rosemary olive oil bundt cake in Lebovitz's dessert book that I've had my eye on for months.

    This looks great! I have a hard time wrapping my brain around Avocado Spice Cake, though. What the what?

    ReplyDelete
  4. All the local coffee shops around here (not the national chains) serve the Cincinnati Mocha, which is chocolate (of course), cinnamon and cayenne pepper. It's a thing of wonder. (Mexico, on behalf of my city, I apologize for stealing your trademark spice combination.) I'm sure it's fabulous in cake!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks and sounds amazing, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love spicing up chocolate with cinnamon and cayenne. That bundt pan is on my wish list, so pretty :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Looks like you've had busy week cooking up a storm! How incredibly satisfying!
    So many great recipes!

    I love anything Mexican, it caught my attention straight away!
    Great looking cake!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. gotta love a good bundt cake! Your Mexican Chocolate was a perfect choice for National Bundt day!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I bet this is amazing!

    http://foodfashionandflow.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  10. I haven't made a bundt cake in what seems like a lifetime, so I think it's time to dust off my aging bundt pan and join in the fun. Your chocolate and cayenne flavor combo totally rock, Cher plus I also like that there's Greek yoghurt in here. Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a great looking bundt cake! Chocolate with a bite sounds delicious...bundts are always a hit in my house. Will have to give this one a try!

    ReplyDelete
  12. How fun! I rediscovered the joy of baking bundts just a few years ago...don't know why I never baked them before. I love that they are so easy to make and I haven't tasted one that I didn't like. This sounds so good with the cayenne pepper to bring out the chocolate flavor. Will have to try this one soon.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I got to celebrate along with TFL as well. This cake sounds great! Why was it languishing in your draft folder? Of course we all have those stashed away don't we? I know I do. lol.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.