2011/12/14

Daring Cooks - December '11 Challenge - Char Sui Bao

Our Daring Cooks’ December 2012 hostess is Sara from Belly Rumbles! Sara chose awesome Char Sui Bao as our challenge, where we made the buns, Char Sui, and filling from scratch – delicious!

Howdy! This is my first time cooking along with The Daring Cooks.  I have to admit that I have been stalking keeping an eye on some of the challenges posted by some of my favorite bloggers and decided that joining would be a great way of stretching my cooking repertoire...  So here I am, on another crazy adventure.  So far, it's been fun. 


Buns filled with BBQ Pork - Yum!


Anyhoo.... 

When I saw the recipe for a Cantonese BBQ Pork-filled bun, I was pretty intrigued. I really wasn't sure how it was all going to come together.  After making the marinade, I was still a little dubious - especially when The Dude was wrinkling his nose at the scent of it...


But, as I have often come to realize in the kitchen - sometimes, you just have to give it a little time and you will find yourself pleasantly surprised. 

Roasting & glazing the tenderloin resulted in a piece of meat that did just that... 


A soft pliable dough & just the right amount of filling makes for easy assembly.
 Once that task was completed, everything else came together in a flash. 


Filled and ready for the oven!

Fresh out of the oven... Who's hungry?
When these came out of the oven, I took a look at them and thought to myself "yeah, I did that."  (Psst - that's a good feeling, by the way). 

Mission complete!
Thank you, Sara for issuing a challenge that this "newbie" was able to build some confidence with.  It was fun to work with flavors that were outside of my normal range. I can't wait to see what next month brings in The Daring Kitchen!

17 comments:

  1. Oh I am so glad you had fun with your first challenge and thrilled that it was mine. I hope I am allowed to giggle at "the dude' wrinkling his nose at the marinade, hope he was not wrinkling at the finished product :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. MMMMM! What yummy looking food and what gorgeous plates!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lovely! The buns look gorgeous. It was really a beautiful Challenge from Sara and enjoyed every moment of it, can't wait to get working on the next challenge from The Daring Kitchen. Try out the steamed buns too, it's fun pleating up the buns :0)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hey Cher nice to come across a fellow daring cook fresher.
    I am already too eager to know what the next challenge would be.
    Aditi
    https://itallcomesdowntofood.wordpress.com/

    ReplyDelete
  5. Welcome to Daring Cooks! Your bao turned out shiny and beautiful! Congratulations!

    ReplyDelete
  6. I love that feeling, when something not only works out, but works out so well! And when it is delicious, too? Bonus!! Great job on the challenge. Welcome to the Daring Cooks! :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Welcome to the Daring Cooks and well done on your first challenge! Looks fantastic! The filling looks scrumptious!

    ReplyDelete
  8. Oh wow, the filling and the baked Char Siu Bao look delicious! Great job, welcome to the daring cooks!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I'm glad you enjoyed your first challenge. You're right - once you give yourself a little time you can be pleasantly surprised :)

    ReplyDelete
  10. Hello and welcome to the daring cooks..
    you did a wonderful job on your first challenge..Congratulations

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cher...thank you for your comments about daughters and college decisions and stresses. I really am enjoying sharing this stage with so many other parents through blogging. On a foodie note, those Baos look tempting to try. My son loves getting these from Whole Foods!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Your bao look scrumptious! I love the butter coloring. The Wow Bao restaurant near my house strictly sticks to steaming with no coloring. Great post!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Welcome to the group!!! Great job :) These were so delicious they all went the first day... wish I still had some leftovers!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Fantastic first challenge - they look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Awesome buns! Congrats on a first Daring Cooks challenge beautifully done! I love the name of your blog and your blog in general. Looking forward to seeing many many more of your challenges!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Hello and welcome to the Daring Cooks' and congratulations on your first successful challenge/ You did a fabulous job on this challenge, your buns looks perfect great work. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your buns look delicious inside and out, good job! Hope the "Dude" came around by the end.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.