2011/12/29

French Fridays with Dorie: Cauliflower Bacon Gratin

Helloooo????  Did anyone see where 2011 went?

Because it appears to have disappeared as quickly as a dish full of cauliflower gratin fresh out of the oven...



I don't know what it was like in your world, but this was one whirlwind of a year in our house. 

Dotted with joys & sorrows.  Highs & lows. 


Loved ones were lost and new "loves" entered the world with a wail - serving as a potent reminder that life goes on.

It was a year in which nature flexed it's muscles; but in the midst of devastation, the kindness of the human spirit cast a bright ray of hope. 

Lardons from my homemade bacon stash
It was a year for trying new things...and a year for tying up loose ends.


The Karate Kid turned Culinary student has become quite the sous chef... 
A year of gearing up for "the next big thing", while still living in the moment and making the most out of the everyday.

Personally, I am looking forward to the start of a new year and the sense of promise that each day brings.  I have really enjoyed getting to know everyone over the past year and can't wait to see what happens next...

Yes, there really is a whole head of cauliflower hiding in there.
Now, let's talk gratin, shall we?

This is not the first time that this gratin has shown up at our dinner table.  Somewhere around last-mid-winter we found ourselves potato-gratined-out.  I decided to try out the cauliflower gratin just to see how well it would fly...  It flew.  And has landed on the table several times since. 

Frankly, I think you could put cheese, cream and eggs on top of just about anything.  Throw in some bacon as an insurance policy (I used some of this).  Bake it up.  And people would eat it.  Or scarf it up.  Perhaps even mainline it.  Seriously. 

I wonder if this treatment would get the peeps to eat Salmon in a Jar? (Uh, maybe not so much - I don't think hurricane force winds could get that one back on the table and onto their dinner plates.  Just sayin')

Anyhoo, the link for Dorie's cauliflower bacon gratin can be found here on NPR's website.  Remember: cream, cheese, eggs, bacon.  You can't lose with such a combination - oh, and if you eat too much of this, you won't lose any weight either.  So, you may want to take this one in moderation...or plan a healthy bout of exercise before indulging.  Consider that my public service announcement for the day...  Just because I care.



This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie.

I hope everyone has a safe New Year and a prosperous 2012 - wherever life may take you. 

Cheers.

28 comments:

  1. Happy New Year, Cher! You made me laugh at the thought of giving salmon in a jar the gratin treatment. I plan to cook this for dinner tomorrow--didn't get around to it in time to post by tonight. Sounds good to me!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I loved this, too! It's been fun sharing this FFwD journey in 2011. Wishing you a happy new year, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy new year! Your gratin looks great.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Happy Happy New Year Cher :) So much fun to bake and cook along with you this year!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Happy New Year Cher! I've enjoyed following you this year, I know that I'll always find good food and an interesting read here! I love the way your gratin puffed and colored so nicely! Lucky girl to have your own sous chef;-)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cher...life goes on :) Happy New Year to you and I am glad that I joined FFWD and got to know you and the rest of Doristas and sharing notes on the dishes we cook along :) Your Gratin looks delish !

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy New Year, Cher! (Still in awe - and jealous of - your homemade bacon.)

    ReplyDelete
  8. We enjoyed the gratin too. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This was the very first recipe I made from "Around My French Table" - can you believe that? I'm taking the easy way out & posting that link...

    But, I'm going to catch up on the Creme Brulee on New Year's Eve.

    I've loved cooking with you & getting to know you - looking forward to more in 20121

    Wishing you every happiness! xoxo

    ReplyDelete
  10. Happy New Year! Cheese & bacon seem to be magical forces which make everything taste better. If only they were good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Home made bacon? Wow!
    I didn't make this week's recipe so I totally admire your dedication!
    It's bikini season here and bikinis and gratin just don't go hand in hand!
    But my goodness it looks delicious!!!

    ReplyDelete
  12. Great post! I'm looking forward to a new year as well and hope to get back to cooking with the FFWD group more regularly.

    ReplyDelete
  13. It looks like your gratin was a huge hit at your house! It's been great getting to know you through your blog this year. Happy New Year, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hello!!! love your version of new year post..have a great new year ahead!!!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Your gratin is the puffiest and poofiest I've ever seen! And you are so right about mainlining this dish--who needs narcotics when you've got bacon and cheese.

    ReplyDelete
  16. Lovely post, as usual. It was one heck of a year that 2011....but mostly I am with your comment at the beginning regarding "where did it go" ? It seems like I was just filling out holiday cards and next thing I know, I am doing it again. The sad part was not only going over the address book to see who was not with us any more (we did add some new friends, so that was fun) but also in realizing how many folks got little in between holiday cards. I think catching up will be my 2012 resolution. Esp since I now know how to make creme brulee (code for diet will have to wait...) Happy New Year !

    ReplyDelete
  17. Your gratin got so golden and puffy! No wonder it went quickly!

    ReplyDelete
  18. You are right - cheese,cream and eggs makes most things taste pretty good. I loved this and would happily make it again. You are right about the year flying. Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Looks like they loved it. It's gone! I agree that everything's better with bacon, though I have to admit that I really liked that Salmon in a Jar. I've enjoyed getting to know you through FFwD this year. I love your outlook on life and how you share those insights through what you cook. Happy New Year, Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Love the crust on your gratin! I never thought of bacon as the insurance policy but you're right! :) Happy New Year and I like your positive outlook for the new year ahead!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Your gratin is so puffy, it's beautiful! I'm so impressed by your homemade bacon. If only cream, eggs, and bacon were a little bit healthier...they definitely make everything taste better :-)

    ReplyDelete
  22. Happy New Year Cher! Salmon Gratin certainly could be an interesting Top Chef Quickfire Challenge! Your Gratin and photos are really great - I love the one of the flowers on the window sill, it is worth a 1000 words.

    Happy New Year to you and your family, looking forward to your cooking adventures in 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  23. Happy New Year, Cher! Homemade bacon must have put this into the stratosphere. Here's to lots of good food and stories in 2012.

    ReplyDelete
  24. I really can't believe this year flew by and a large part o that was the regular camaraderie from this group. Thank you so much for checking in as often as you do as it has made my year. Your gratin looks perfect and I would love to take a fork to the entire dish as my last meal of the year. Happy New YEar!

    ReplyDelete
  25. I am glad your family liked this as much as we did. Your delicious topping appeared to be golden brown and "poofy", which I like. I, too, am looking forward to cooking with everyone as we move into the new year. Your Blog is fun to read. I learn alot. Love your energy. Happy New Year

    ReplyDelete
  26. Yup, anything with cream and bacon is sure to be a hit! So glad to hear you guys enjoyed this one! :)

    ReplyDelete
  27. Happy new year to you. Loved your story and your photo's.
    Also I want to thank you for your great comments last year on my blog. Thank you.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.