2011/12/01

Pancakes of Peace (FFwD: Matafan)

Making pancakes this week seemed almost too normal in the midst of a week that has been anything but.
Fluffy Potato Pancakes w/ Pomegranate Syrup & Creme Fraiche

This past Sunday morning, my partner received the phone call that no child is every truly ready to receive - that his father had unexpectedly passed away.  No indicators.  No warnings.  No good-byes.  Just gone. 


We all stumbled through the week, moving on autopilot - at times like these, there is little you can do but put one foot ahead of the other and take care of what needs to be taken care of.  Get the kids off to school.  Shuttle everyone around to appointments & practices.  Keep things moving. 


Before we knew it, it was Wednesday night.  And there was a cookbook sitting on the counter. Opened up to a recipe for potato pancakes. 

It was late - well after 8:00.  The evening had been filled with running and doing.  Pieces of me just wanted to go deflate.  Instead, I found myself dragging out potatoes, milk, flour & the griddle - making potato pancakes. 

In the midst of prepping and scooping and cooking, the kids started gathering in the kitchen.  Homework was discussed.  Social lives were reviewed. 

And as pancakes started to stack up on the cooling rack, fingers reached out and started snacking.  Plates came out, eventually followed by forks & knives (we're a class act).  And at that moment, in the midst of the storm of craziness circling around us, there was a moment of peace.  Pancakes of peace. 


This Friday, we are saying our good-byes to "Pa".  He was an ornery old coot - stubborn and opinionated, but with a heart of gold and a generosity of spirit that could not be hidden.  Even though my girls & I aren't "official" members of the family - he never drew a line of distinction.  In that house, we were family - blood & marriage lines notwithstanding. 

There are many things I could say here, but there are too many words - and yet not enough words to say all that would need to be said. 


This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie

26 comments:

  1. Very sorry to hear about "Pa." Cozy pancakes seem like the perfect comfort food for a time like that. Glad it was a recipe that you could make at 8 pm!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I know what peace cooking can bring at moments like this. These look great. I didn't do them (of course) but would have if I had cooked for Thanksgiving i would have done it for sure with the leftovers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I'm so sorry for your loss. My heart goes out to you and your family in this difficult time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Oh Cher! I am so sorry to hear that! My thoughts will be with your family.
    It's strange how life just continues on when something drastic happens. You kind of expect it to change somehow, but the little things still have to be dealt with and it feels surreal at times.
    Your pancakes look deliciously soothing.

    ReplyDelete
  5. So so sorry to hear about your loss Cher. Hugs to you and your gamily. And kudos for making the FFWD despite all that.. XOX

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your drizzled toppings on your pancakes look quite tasty!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Very sorry to hear that, Cher. One is never really ready to lose a parent, whether suddenly or with some notice - my heart goes out to your family.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm so sorry for your loss, Cher. I can only wish more "pancakes of peace" moments for you and your family while everything sorts itself out.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher, I'm so sorry to hear of your loss and my thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. You described perfectly what food does, nourishes us and brings us together.

    ReplyDelete
  10. Cher, you and your family have my deepest sympathy. I'm glad these pancakes gave you a few moments and peace during this time of sadness.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Cher, I'm sorry about your loss. Cooking and sharing can bring normalcy at times when we don't necessarily know how to deal. I'm glad the pancakes brought a moment of peace to you and your family.

    ReplyDelete
  12. My dear Cher,
    I pray for comfort and peace for you and your family. It is so hard to lose one who is loved and especially part of the family...even if they are old and ornery. But when it is my turn to move along I hope I can do it just the way he did...quick and without all the troubles that so many go through to pass on. I know this holiday season will find you all missing him, but I also know that you are a great family and you will find more peace pancake moments to get you through. I send my love and sympathy to you at this difficult time. Just wish I were closer to you so I could help.

    ReplyDelete
  13. I'm so sorry for your family's loss. I'm glad you were able to find comfort, if only for the power of a pancake!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Cher, So sorry for your loss. My thoughts and prayers are sent to you and your family. Funny how food is such a comforting thing...It unites us during happy occasions and sad times. May peace be with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm very sorry for your loss.

    It's nice that the pancakes brought you all together in the kitchen for a bit. :)

    ReplyDelete
  16. Beautiful post - it brought tears to my eyes. I'm so sorry for your loss, and here's wishing you and your family many more moments of peace in the days ahead.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I'm so sorry for your loss. I'm glad you were able to finds some comfort in making your "pancakes of peace" for your family. It's somehow therapeutic...I know. My prayers are with you.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I have found that cooking and baking has given me so much solace in the midst of family loss...I am so sorry to hear of your partner's loss.

    ReplyDelete
  19. oh Cher, I'm so sorry about your partner's dad. I'm tearing up reading your post - no child is ever ready for that news. We lost D's mother very suddenly 5 years ago and this post brought back that week following her death. so many things to do, on top of so many things already, and yet in the midst of it we found the time as well to gather, and cook, and eat as a family and remember. The small comforts add up. Peace to you and yours. (and the pancakes look great with the pomegranate syrup.)

    ReplyDelete
  20. Cher, I am sorry for your loss, our prayers are with you at this difficult
    time. A simple little thing like cooking sometimes helps take your
    mind off things, even for a little while. The presentation of your
    pancakes looks wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  21. Hi Cher-I am so sorry for the loss of Pa. I send you tons of hugs and I know how comforting it is to cooking and baking can be in difficult times. xo

    ReplyDelete
  22. Cher, I'm really sorry about your loss. How sweet that you were able to find a bit of a respite from such a hard week with a little love from Dorie.

    ReplyDelete
  23. This post is a lovely tribute to Pa. Sorry to hear of your loss. These matafan look gorgeous - I would love to see what they taste like with the pomegranate syrup.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Oh, I am SO sorry. When you lose someone, you just have to go through whatever it takes ... and it's so painful. So many ups and really really low downs. I am glad you found a moment of respite through food, it really can soothe that way.

    ReplyDelete
  25. I just wanted to say thank you to everyone for their kind words & thoughts. Y'all are the best.
    It has been a draining couple of weeks, but each day gets a little better as everyone works through it.
    Thanks again.

    ReplyDelete
  26. So sorry to hear about Pa, our thoughts to you and your family. Glad you were able to find a bit of peace with these pancakes.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.