2012/01/05

Bubble-head (French Fridays with Dorie: Bubble Top Brioche)

Helloooo, January.  You are well and truly here, aren't you?

And you brought with you: the bitter cold, the numbing winds and the inevitable loss of air pressure in my tires - which means that I am left putting air in them while standing outside in the cold, with the numbing winds laughing at me every step of the way.  Ha. Ha. Ha.



Not only am I subject to losing air in my tires this time of year, my common sense appears have fallen by the wayside as well. 

At the risk of self-incrimination, I won't go into any details. I will say that there have been some really doosy smack your head against the wall moments going on around here lately. Yeah. Even the peeps have taken to shaking their head while muttering "mom, mom, mom". 

A couple of those moments might have involved knocking over partially filled coffee cups. And some other situations may have involved questionable stacking of pantry items. And maybe, just maybe I have miscalculated on whether a couple of items were washing machine compatible color wise.

Of course, none of those moments involve the water cooler at work or watching water flow over the top of my cup onto the floor. Not at all.

It could never have been like that...

It's totally been like that. 


At least I haven't started any bacon grease fires in the oven - well, at least not in the last couple of months.

I am not doing myself any favors here, am I?


One thing I haven't been totally putzing up lately is the bread.

Don't get me wrong - I am prone to my share of screw ups there as well. However, they are usually recoverable.

Forgot to add the olive oil? No worries - add it in and let it rise again.

Forgot the yeast? Same thing. It's all good, sister Susie.

Forgot the flour? Well, that's a whole different issue and one that I hope I would notice pretty quickly on the front end...


It's as easy as...1, 2, 3.
Fortunately, my bubble-headedness did not extend to these bubble-top brioche.  The "bruffins" (breads baked in muffin tins) were very co-operative little guys and treated me kindly.

Food should be kind to you, you know? If it isn't - find something else to eat.

Using a scale helped to ensure consistently sized "bruffins" (breads made in muffin tin)
Since I have absolutely no sense of proportion, I used a scale to weigh out consistent portions. (I screwed  up the math and had a 13th portion, so these rolls were like 1/12 smaller than they were supposed to be. Or something like that). 



These rolls appeared as a part of a January-recipe French Friday extravaganza... Brioche rolls, M. Jacques chicken, broth-braised potatoes and quatre-quarts for dessert.  Somehow, I managed to be that organized a week before Christmas. (I had not even started my Christmas shopping at that point in time, but somehow I managed to belt these out.)

Whatever didn't get eaten that night for dinner, was cut up and turned into our Christmas morning "french-toast/ bread-pudding" concoction. Which was simply an overnight French toast recipe that used cubed brioche in place of bread slices - because who wants to be standing over a stove at 7:00 in the morning on Christmas cooking breakfast? Not me.


This French Friday marks my two-year blogoversary.

Yes, somehow I have managed to find things to babble on about for two years. It's been fun - thanks for coming along for the ride.


The recipe for the brioche can be found here on Epicurious.

This post participates in French Fridays with Dorie. Hop on over & take a look at the buttery goodness the rest of the FFwD crew has been up to this week.

38 comments:

  1. The rolls look impressive but I'm even more impressed you made all four recipes in one go! As for the doozy that is January, everyone is allowed to let her guard down especially after the holiday season. ;)

    I'm still debating if I'll make the brioche myself. Hmm.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congratulations on 2 years, Cher! Mine will be in March - isn't it amazing the things we find to say all the time?!?

    I'm so jealous! My dough didn't rise - I think I got the milk too hot & killed the yeast - my husband asked me if they screamed! So, I'll be trying again tonight & posting late on Friday because I really want to make these!

    On the other hand, I'm running around in sandals!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Happy Blogoversary! I'm so glad we crossed paths through ffwd. Your rolls turned out so beautifully.

    Isn't this the second month in a row where you prepared the entire month in one session? I salute you!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You always make me laugh, Cher. Glad to know I'm not the only bobblehead running around out there. Mighty impressed that you cooked the entire month in one go. I'm stealing your breakfast recipe, b/c these aren't so wonderful now that they're cold. Mwa ha haaa!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Speaking of bubbleheads, I just dumped dishwasher fluid on my flat-top stove instead of the ceramic cleaner stuff. Siiiigh.

    ReplyDelete
  6. @Ei - I feel your pain, man. Feel your pain.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Happy Anniversary! These look so good and I just want to sink my teeth into them. I was not able to participate but have been waiting for these to see how it goes for everyone since I am dying to make these.

    Mariangie

    ReplyDelete
  8. Cher...great job :) I did these brioche last Saturday in time for Sunday breakfast. Love the shape more than the traditional tieknot shape. Those cold ones I just have to zap in the microwave oven and it turn out exactly like it is fresh from the oven :)

    ReplyDelete
  9. Your rolls look great! I was too lazy to weigh the portions and of my four rolls, one was bigger than the others. Happy blogiversary!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Congratulations on pulling all of this off in one shot, and your blogoverdary. I have times like this too - too many spills, accidents, etc. That's when I know it's time to just slow down and breath! I have the missing relatives to your "bruffins"! Mine look the same - yeah us!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hiya Bubblehead, I much prefer your new name for these, "bruffins" instead of yawny brioche. I halved the recipe but like you, still managed to have an extra portion....hmm. You're awesomely super-organized, while I've gone the opposite way...in fact I've only just made these today and I'm still awaiting inspirational tales to include in the post (sadly, I think there will be none).

    ReplyDelete
  12. Ha ha, you just described my typical day! I stood in front of my filing cabinet at work, my head filled with all I had to do for the day, pressing the unlock button on my car key waiting for the cabinet to open!
    You churned out some great looking 'bruffins' given you temporary affliction!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Your rolls look delicious and I'm amazed that you were organized enough to get all of January checked off in December. I was barely able to keep up with December in December.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Congratulations on your second blogging year. I am grateful for all your kind words and stories. Food might be the glue that holds our community together, but the musings make it altogether sweeter.

    Your rolls look delicious and I cannot wait to try these as part of a recipe. The leftovers are in a baggie in my freezer, waiting for days that require a little indulging.

    ReplyDelete
  15. I've been a bubble head lately too - LOL! Your rolls look great. I desperately wanted to make bread pudding with mine but brought them to work instead. My waistline thanked me!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Congrats on your two year anniversary blogging Cher! And what a post! LOVED these! Am feeling like I can do anything if I can bake brioche!

    ReplyDelete
  17. Two years blogging, congratulations on that. Your brioches looks great. And your story was funny (and recognisable, maybe the weather).
    We loved the brioches, they were really great.

    ReplyDelete
  18. I enjoyed reading your post and the comments were pretty entertaining too,lol!
    Today is going to be a slow one for me, recuperating from dental sugary yesterday so today I'm going to get around to everyone, hopefully! I like your energy bursts that allow you to knock of a month's worth of FFWD posts at one time, visualizing that is making me tired but I'm also thinking that would be fun to do with a group and then stand back and snap a zillion photos;-). Have a fun relaxing weekend Cher, Welcome to 2012!

    ReplyDelete
  19. Forgot to add Congrats on 2 years of blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  20. Congratulations on the blogiversary! I love reading your posts! I can't believe you made all of the recipes for one meal. You are way more committed to the process than I am!!

    ReplyDelete
  21. Cher, Bubbleheadedness gets worse as we age. We all suffer from it at some point. I turned the broiler on my New Years Day Lasagna thinking I was turning off the oven....I know now that my fire alarm work very well!! Your brioches look perfect...I loved this recipe! Congrats on two years!

    ReplyDelete
  22. Congratulations on hitting the two-year mark! And very apt to celebrate by making four recipes in one go!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I've been super spacey lately too! Maybe it's lack of sunlight...lol...love your bruffins!

    ReplyDelete
  24. Happy Anniversary, Cher!!! Your blog is delightful! And your rolls look PERFECT! Hey, no blood, no foul~

    ReplyDelete
  25. Smart move using a scale! Your rolls turned out perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  26. Cher, Congrats on 2 years of blogging! Your posts always put a smile on my face. Love your bruffins! Great name. And I'm so impressed with your preparing the entire January schedule as one dynamite meal. So impressed!

    ReplyDelete
  27. I have to use a scale too Cher! I can't wait to try brioche french toast.

    ReplyDelete
  28. I just love your photos (and all the Doristas) who take the time to post pictures "in process." Dedication, organization, explaination. All my favorite things. The rolls look great.

    ReplyDelete
  29. Happy Blogaversary, Cher! When I make the brioche again I would love to try the overnight french toast. I can imagine how delicious it was with your brioche.

    ReplyDelete
  30. Happy belated Anniversary. Your brioche looks perfect.

    ReplyDelete
  31. Yay, Cher! It sounds like Lizzy, Kathy, Elaine & Patty will join TWD, too. I'm really looking forward to it - baking is more my forte and I'd like to get better at it.

    ReplyDelete
  32. love the photo of the inside of your brioche ... makes me want to hurry up and bake some more so I can eat them! nice work!!

    ReplyDelete
  33. I think we have a lot in common - I may also have stood at the water cooler at work last week, and continued to put water in my glass while watching it continue to overflow all over our kitchen floor...I'm also glad I'm not the only one who weighed all of the dough! I'm very impressed you made all of the January recipes at once :-)

    ReplyDelete
  34. I love your blog and now don't so feel like I'm the only space-cadet on the planet this month! Cheers to us- bring on the bubbly!

    ReplyDelete
  35. These look great! Thanks for the detailed directions!

    ReplyDelete
  36. How were you that organized the week before Christmas? I'm insanely jealous. Great recovery suggestions! Glad that other people have blonde moments too.

    ReplyDelete
  37. Too funny - as usual I greatly enjoyed your post and find it difficult to comprehend that you would be anything other than "uber competent" :) Nana and I basically set our clocks to your postings. Speaking of which - huge congrats on two years. My how time flies. I got a real kick out of the brioche but am in the ranks of those who prefer your "bruffin" title. And I too had some math issues. Blame it on doing the thing at the last minute, let alone that I didn't tack 3 other recipes on :) I cut my pie shaped dough into slices and could not understand why I had leftovers for the 12 muffin pan. Yup. Cause I had 48 little ball thingies. And something is in the air with "focusing"....can you believe I made meatloaf tonight and after 10 minutes in the oven I realized I never added the open spice sack on the counter. Out if came, remix and back in. And this was no brioche.......

    ReplyDelete
  38. Always love your posts. Your rolls look like what I want to eat right now...great job. I'm planning to catch up on these...holidays were way too busy, fun, but busy. I remember those Upstate NY winters...that's why we are living in AZ...I had to thaw and never want to freeze again. Stay warm.

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.