2012/01/27

Daring Bakers - January '12 Challenge: Back to Basics (Scones AKA Biscuits)

At first I was confused...


Audax Artifex was our January 2012 Daring Bakers’ host. Aud worked tirelessly to master light and fluffy scones (a/k/a biscuits) to help us create delicious and perfect batches in our own kitchens!

I have to admit that when I saw scones in the title, I was a bit excited. Scones are totally my thing.

And then I read on. And saw that it was biscuits. And I deflated. Because biscuits are totally my nemesis. 


But the whole point of baking along with The Daring Bakers is to do get out of my rut and try things that are new or uncomfortable. I realized that the biscuits could not be ignored. 


And in my head, I know that biscuits and scones are pretty much the same in handling and preparation.

With that thought in mind, biscuits were made. Now, I am not going to come out and say that all my biscuit woes are over and these were the best I have ever made.

I will say that I am glad I didn't push this challenge aside and gave them a shot. I definitely picked up some good pointers and will be a little less wary in the future when the need to make biscuits comes my way. 


This post participates in The Daring Bakers. Please check out The Daring Kitchen for links to this month's challenge...

12 comments:

  1. I'm so glad that you had so much success with the recipe and that your biscuit making skills have improved so much. A great job on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I still think these look great, but I understand having a baking nemesis. Mine is yeast bread.

    ReplyDelete
  3. You know, I don't think I've ever made biscuits. I've never been impressed by them, so they're not something I would spend precious time making. Maybe I just haven't had the right biscuit yet.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I totally know, biscuits and I have never gotten along without bisquick! I think you did a fantastic job on your biscuits, they look great!!

    ReplyDelete
  5. I had a little bit of the same confusion when first reading this month's challenge, glad to see you pushed yourself and made biscuits! They look fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Your biscuits look great, I wish I had one right now! I never make biscuits but I sure do like them;-)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I'm so glad yours were a success! And now there are a world of variations to try! I see that you were doing double duty blogging today, too!

    ReplyDelete
  8. YUMMY YUMMY

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  9. They look so light and fluffy, Cher. What kind of bread is that we can see a glimpse of?

    ReplyDelete
  10. Those are some great looking scones Cher - I think yu are over the woes.

    ReplyDelete
  11. I had the same little emotional rollercoaster that you did when I first saw "scones" and found out it was really "biscuits"! I'm glad I did the challenge too and biscuits are going to be in my regular rotation now that I have a good recipe for them.

    ReplyDelete
  12. Cher, These look perfect! I haven't participated with Daring Bakers in such a long time...I wonder if I'm still a member?

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.