2012/01/18

Here goes nothin'... (Pomelo & Dried Squid Salad w/ Plum Vinegar Glazed Tuna)

As promised, here is the follow up challenge for the dried squid that showed up in the Christmas box from my clever brother and his wife...

Since I also still have about 30-40 pounds of this tuna (seriously, we have a LOT of this left), I thought I would make this a two-fer challenge.


I am not one to back down from a challenge. Even challenges that are a little...well...bizarre.

Like figuring out what to do with this guy here.

My clever button is broken today, so please pardon my lack of wit. Or whatever else it is that flows out of me. (Be kind, please - I've been sick. I'm fragile... or something.)



I heard that the dried squid was personally recommended by Merlin, the cat...

The infamous Merlin.
So without further ado...


Pomelo's are big huge citrus. Look like green grapefruit, but sweeter... I like them.

Green & pink make everything pretty. Even dried sea creatures.

Pomelo & Dried Squid Salad
Adapted from TheNibble.com

For the dressing:
1 tsp crushed garlic
1 small jalapeno, finely minced
2 Tbs fish sauce
2 Tbs freshly squeeze lime juice
2 Tbs sugar
1 Tbs peanut butter

Combine all ingredients into a small jar. Shake well. Dressing is best made a half hour or so before serving to give the flavors time to marry together.

For the salad:
1 pomelo, segmented
1/2 package of dried squid torn into pieces (squid optional...)
1 6-8 oz package of baby spinach leaves

In a large bowl, toss together pomlo segments, squid & baby spinach. Toss together with dressing. Serve immediately.



Plum Vinegar Glazed Tuna
Adapted from Chow.com

I scaled this recipe up for three pounds of tuna. The original recipe called for a pound of fish - which is a little more realistic...

1 pound tuna, cut into fillets (four pieces - about an inch thick)
1/4 cup ume plum vinegar (I prefer Eden - minimal ingredients)
1/4 cup agave nectar
2 Tbs grapeseed oil

In a small saucepan, over medium heat, bring the vinegar and nectar to a boil. Once boiling, reduce to simmer until sauce thickens. About 5-7 minutes.

Heat grapeseed oil in a large skillet. Once heated, place tuna in pan and cook for two minutes on the first side - until the bottoms are nicely browned. Before turning, brush the top of the pan with the thicken sauce. Turn and brush the top of the other side with the mixture. Cook until browned on the other side. Flip and baste once more - cooking until tuna is cooked through and flakes easily. 


Stay warm, all!

8 comments:

  1. What a awesome recipe...Delicious dear..

    Aarthi
    http://yummytummy-aarthi.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. How lucky are you to have all that tuna sitting in your freezer? It looks amazing! However, squid, I'm not a fan of...although I'm sure I'd love the pomelo and spinach with some balsamic sprinkled over it! Nice post!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, yes you did! LOL! You're awesome! I love tuna & your glaze sounds wonderful.

    ReplyDelete
  4. What a coincidence! I just had plum glazed salmon for dinner!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These dishes both look delicious. The plum glazed salmon - mmmm. How did the salad with the squid taste? It looks fantastic!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for the clear directions. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  7. It's funny, I love the taste of dried fish in some dishes but the smell of it alone is a bit ... if putting, you know? But it seems to me that the citrus would be the perfect foil for that. And well: yum tuna!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.