2012/01/02

Miso-Sesame Green Beans & Liebster

A sense of humor is a beautiful thing....



Especially when a box shows up at your door step - a box that is filled with culinary oddities. Compliments of one brother & sister-in-law with a quirky sense of humor. Fortunately, the recipient of the box is equally as, if not more, quirky. 

Like Vermont Curry. What the heck is Vermont Curry? (I read the back of the box and it apparently has nothing to do with the state that lies an hour East of me). 

Dried squid - which I am told is a favorite of cats... And somewhat creepy looking.

Ramen noodle wheat crackers. Say whaaatttt?


The Christmas Box - dried squid, spaetzle noodles and ramen noodle wheat crackers. What more could a girl ask for?
...and let's not forget the Modern Guide to Better Meals. If I were a 1940's housewife, I would need meal plans that took into consideration any religious observance food restrictions my constant onslaught of guests might have. (Which is really funny, because I don't entertain...ever - well, rarely... However, I do have a weakness for vintage cookbooks - so this one was actually a bit of a treat.)

"Modern Guide to Better Meals" - the complete guide to meal planning & religious holiday food observances...
That is if you lived in the 1940's.
I am not one to back down from a challenge - especially one issued by my big brother. Family pride, man. It all comes down to family pride.

Now, I am not sure what I am ever going to do with that dried squid, but the garlic sesame seeds were a fairly simple "dip your toe into the water" kind of challenge... Green beans were sauteed and coated in a soy-miso glaze and dusted with a coating of sesame seeds. 



Paired along side a main course of  Seitan Skewers with Chimichurri Citrus Herb Sauce, it made for refreshing meal in the midst of all the "holiday heavies". 


Miso-Sesame Green Beans
Adapted from Mark Bittman's The Best Recipes in the World

Ingredients
1 1/2 pounds Green Beans - trimmed, blanched, drained and dried
1 tablespoon honey
2 Tablespoons Miso Paste (white, preferably)
1 Tablespoon Shoyu or other organic soy sauce
1 teaspoon sesame oil
2 tablespoons sesame seeds
Grapeseed oil, for cooking

Whisk together honey, miso paste and shoyu in a small bowl. Set aside.

Heat large saute pan over medium high heat. When hot, add grapeseed oil to lightly coat bottom of pan. Add beans and lightly saute until just starting to pick up color. Transfer to serving bowl. Toss heated beans with miso sauce & sesame oil. Sprinkle with sesame seeds.  Serve warm or at room temperature. 

On another note, Laurie from "Food is Beautiful" was kind enough to pass a Liebster Blog award my way. Laurie is a fellow FFwD blogger, who approaches her cooking adventures with pragmatism and sense of humor...  Both great traits to have in the finicky kitchen world. 


  1. Thank the person who nominated you and link back to them.
  2. List your top five picks (who have less than 200 followers) and link to them, telling a bit about each one. Leave a comment on their blogs to let them know you've nominated them.
Thank you, Laurie for the love!

Here are a few of the sites I regularly stalk browse...

A healthy dose of wit combined with good food & great photography make the musings of  SoupAddict a favorite read. Plus, her grammar is usually impeccable. This world needs more people with stellar command of the English language. 

When I need tempting recipes served up with a healthy dose of snark, I turn to Sis. Boom. [Blog].  Now that he is all famous on the interwebs, I can say that I knew him way back when...

Another blog that I have come to appreciate as a source for unique food ideas is Create Amazing Meals. Susan punctuates her menus with recaps of her travels - sigh. 

I appreciate the way that Teresa of One Wet Foot intermingles social issues with write-ups on food. Her love of food combined with her love of British Columbia inspire me to think more about my community and the role I play in it. 

And to round out this list, one other blogs that is a frequent read is Cookbook Immersion Project. As someone who owns more cookbooks than I ought to, I admire her tenacity and bravery in trying out some of those recipes. 

I could totally double or triple this list. Sigh. 

P.S. I am totally going to figure out what to do with that dried squid. Totally. 

P.P.S. When did using double spaces after periods become such a crime? Apparently, even though the double-space was pounded into my very being being is now a heinous act of typography. I am trying to correct the error of my ways; but Mother of Pearl, it is hard to undo a 20+ year old habit. 

P.P.P.S. Just kidding. I didn't really have another random thought. Okay, that just turned into a random thought, didn't it?

11 comments:

  1. Congratulations on your award!
    I'm trying your green bean recipe, they sound delicious!
    Good luck using all the goodies in your Cnristmas box;-)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Congrats on the award and the box of goodies. That box will certainly encourage creativity and out of the box thinking. I've had dried squid as a snack to accompany drinks, its awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  3. What a unique & fun gift! I can't wait for the Dried Squid rendition!

    Thank you so much for nominating my blog! I truly enjoy our friendship & look forward to more culinary adventures with you this year!

    Congratulations!

    P.S. Note the double spaces? Something about old dogs & new tricks!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wow - I came here for the miso, and I find you've gone and said such nice things about my blog. Right back atcha, Cher - I love your blog, and the Liebster award is well deserved [applause!] (Lieb = love in German, pronounced "Leap" in case anyone was wondering).

    Only a brother would send a can of Toxic Waste. I don't know what that is, but it had me cracking up, nestled next to the chocolate-covered marshmallows. Oh, and I have the same problem with the double-spaces. I just can't break the habit. And I somehow missed the part where it went out of fashion (probably about the same time the phrase "out of fashion" went out of fashion. Which you can see I'm also still using).

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks all.

    @ Karen - frighteningly enough, Toxic Waste is candy. I don't even want to know where it came from. My kids seemed to have the "411" on it, though... I work in the chemical industry, so there is a little bit of warped humor going on there.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Cher, I'm glad you addressed the Toxic Waste can...I was wondering!! Great gift...I love getting food items. The book looks great...those old books are so much fun to look through! Congrats on the award! And Happy New Year!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Love your brother's sense of humour!
    Very funny and yet oddly thoughtful!
    You deserve the award!!!

    ReplyDelete
  8. What I want to know is: What is the Toxic Waste in the basket???? Also, maybe the dried squid would work in a Malaysian dish like laksa?

    ReplyDelete
  9. Cher...congrats on your award..you deserve it :) Another suggestion ..you can chopped up a few of them and add to your mince meat and make meat balls out of it...

    ReplyDelete
  10. Your blog is one of my favourites, Cher, and I'm glad that French Fridays has introduced me to so many great bloggers. Thanks so much for the lovely things you said about my blog, too.

    I love the vintage cookbook your brother sent - it looks like a gem.

    ReplyDelete
  11. What a fun gift and great cookbook. Your Miso-Sesame Green Beans look great. Congratulations on your award. Happy New Year, Cher!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.