2012/02/27

February '12 Daring Bakers: Quick Bread (Basic Banana Bread & Persimmon Spice Bread)

Coming up under the wire today kids, so no stories or witticisms to go along with this month's DB challenge - sorry.

In preparation for the delivery of my new fridge this week (yeah!), I focused on breads that would help me clean out some of my freezer contents (frozen bananas & persimmon puree).



Blog-checking lines: The Daring Bakers’ February 2012 host was – Lis! Lisa stepped in last minute and challenged us to create a quick bread we could call our own. She supplied us with a base recipe and shared some recipes she loves from various websites and encouraged us to build upon them and create new flavor profiles.

First up is the ubiquitous banana bread. Perhaps not creative, but it is a staple in our house. This is a moist loaf, with a little extra sweetness coming from the addition of chocolate chips.

Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Chocolate Chip Banana Bread
Adapted from The King Arthur Flour Baker's Companion

2 large eggs
1 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup canola oil
1 cup ripe, mashed banana (~2 large or 3 small)
2 tsp vanilla
1 tsp baking soda
1 tsp baking powder
1 tsp salt
1/2 tsp nutmeg
2 2/3 cups unbleached all-purpose flour
1 cup yogurt
1 cup chocolate chips

Preheat oven to 350 F. Grease & flour a 9" x 5" (or four mini) loaf pan. 

In the bowl of a stand mixer, beat together the eggs, sugar & oil. Beat in the banana & vanilla.

In a medium bowl, sift together the baking soda/ powder, salt, flour & spices. Add all at once to the wet mixture - stir just to combine. Stir in the yogurt and chips - until just combined. Don't over mix.

Pour batter into prepared pan (s). Bake for ~60 minutes for the larger loaf; ~40-45 minutes for the smaller - until a tester inserted in the middle comes out clean.

When done, remove from oven. Cool bread in pan on rack for ~15 minutes. Remove from pan and cool completely on rack. 


Second in line is a persimmon spice bread. Using leftover puree from some fruit I had frozen in the fall, it was a change up from some of the more traditional flavors. It's a bit of a craggy (i.e. rustic lookig loaf), but definitely pleasant.

Persimmon Spice Bread
Persimmon Spice Bread
Adapted from Deborah Madison's Vegetarian Cooking for Everyone

8 Tbs (1 stick) unsalted butter (room temperature)
1/2 cup white sugar
3/4 cup brown sugar, packed
2 eggs (room temperature)
1 cup persimmon puree
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
2 cups unbleached, all-purpose flour
1/2 tsp salt
1 1/2 tsp cardamom
1/2 tsp ground ginger
1/2 tsp ground

Preheat oven to 375 F. Line one 8 1/2" x 4 1/2" loaf pan with parchment paper. Grease and flour pan & parchment.

Cream together the butter & sugars until fluffy. Add eggs, one at a time - scrape down bowl between each addition. Mix together persimmon & baking soda - stir into egg-sugar mixture. In a small bowl, mix together remaining dry ingredients. Pour into wet mixture - combine until just moistened.

Transfer batter into prepared pans. Bake for ~45-50 minutes, until tester inserted into center of bread comes out clean.

Cool in pan for 5 minutes. Invert onto cooling rack to finish cooling.

This post participates in The Daring Baker's Challenge. For links to this month's challenge, please visit The Daring Kitchen.

13 comments:

  1. I actually like the second loaf since it is rustic. Yes I agree with you quick breads are great to use up ingredients. A wonderful result on this challenge. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  2. You are 2012's bread-baking queen! I wish I was your neighbor - I'd be happy to take any of those 8 loaves off your hands!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I love that you were able to create such beautiful and delicious looking loaves by cleaning out the fridge and freezer! :) Wonderful job on the challenge.

    ReplyDelete
  4. My husband is a big persimmon fan - I'll have to remember this recipe for the next time I find some on offer at the supermarket!

    ReplyDelete
  5. These look great, I love banana bread so I'll have to try this recipe!!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Two wonderful recipes! The persimmon spice bread sounds wonderful...so unique :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. I like the sound of chocolate chips! Yum!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I love the rustic look of the persimmon bread. You rock Cher!

    ReplyDelete
  9. My Mom has made a persimmon bread before, but I don't think it used cardamon or ginger, they sound like a perfect spice combo!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Very pretty loaves! I would be happy to have a slice of either with my tea. You inspire me!

    ReplyDelete
  11. Persimmon Spice Bread sounds terrific!

    ReplyDelete
  12. I had a chocolate chip banana bread at Starbucks today. Yours looks a lot better then theirs!

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.