2012/02/14

Things that take you back: Daring Cooks - February '12 Challenge (Flippin' Frying Patties - Salmon Patties)

Some things take you way back to your child hood.

Like over the Christmas holiday when I had a rare weekday off from work.



Mom was upstairs trying to sew pockets into Karate Kid's skinny jeans. What's up with jeans with no pockets, by the way?

My mom's a trooper. Because The Karate Kid's jeans totally have pockets now. Totally.

The Karate Kid was in her "special chair" in the living room. (This is the chair that my mother tried to get rid of...and The Karate Kid was so distraught that my parents figured out how to fix the chair and put it back in the living room.) She was probably watching The Discovery Channel or Discovery Health...or something like that. Because that's how she rolls.

And I was sitting downstairs in the kitchen with my dad. Deck of cards splayed out in front of me. Playing solitaire.

My dad was sitting on the other side of the table making suggestions on what cards I could play. I was pretending to get mad with each suggestion that I hadn't figured out yet - just like I did when I was a kid (I was probably more indignant that anything else at that age, but anyhoo). And in that moment, I felt about 14 or 15 again - not the thirty-something year old that I am.

All was right with the world.


Something else that takes me back to my childhood - salmon patties. Simple. Plain. Delicious.

Growing up, salmon patties made a semi-frequent appearance in our house. Usually served along side a vegetable. Maybe some bread on the side. I don't know why my childhood self liked them so much. But I did. Which was probably a relief to my mother, because I could be a little picky at times.

It was one of those simple meals that just worked. So, when I saw that February's Daring Cook's challenge was to make a patty, well, there was only one obvious choice for me. Yep, salmon patties.

I hadn't had one in years. I really don't know why. I guess I kind of forgot about them. But not any more... They are back in rotation. Yeah!



The Daring Cooks’ February 2012 challenge was hosted by Audax & Lis and they chose to present Patties for their ease of construction, ingredients and deliciousness! We were given several recipes, and learned the different types of binders and cooking methods to produce our own tasty patties!

A link to the challenge can be found here.

Salmon Patties
From the kitchen of Ma & Pa and updated by Cher

1 15 ounce can of pink salmon in water, drained
2 eggs, lightly beaten
1 1/5 cups fresh bread crumbs
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon freshly ground, black pepper
2 Tablespoons neutral oil (grapeseed is nice)


Place drained salmon in a medium sized mixing bowl. Gently break up salmon with a knife. Mix with lightly beaten eggs. Stir in bread crumbs, salt and pepper until just mixed (I find it easier to just use my hands - if you are on the dainty side, use a spoon. It's all good)

Divide into four equal portions and lightly press into patties. Place formed patties on a plate, cover and refrigerate for about one hour - or for up to a day.

When ready to cook, heat a large skillet over medium-high heat with a couple of tablespoons of a neutral oil (I like to use grapeseed oil). Once skillet is well heated, gently place patties into skillet and heat for about 5 minutes - until well-browned on one side. Gently flip patties and cook on other side until well-browned (3-5 minutes). At this point patties should be fairly firm - holding together well. If needed, cook for an additional minute or two on each side until desired doneness is achieved. 

Remove cook patties from skillet and transfer to a serving platter. Makes four patties. Leftovers can be refrigerated and gently reheated in a frying pan - best eaten within a day or two.

14 comments:

  1. I don't think I've ever had a salmon patty. I definitely have meals that take me back to childhood, though. Especially grandma's breadcrumbed chicken and mashed potatoes with canned corn. Oh baby!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I haven't made salmon patties...by my hubby loves salmon loaf (go figure!), so I know he'd love these. Perfect for a change of pace when Lent starts...yum!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Oh, it's been forever since I've had a salmon patty. Yours look delicious!

    ReplyDelete
  4. Salmon patties are one of MY childhood favourites, too! Thanks for reminding me that they exist :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. So glad that this challenge took you back to fond childhood memories a wonderful result. Cheers from Audax in Sydney Australia.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I went back to my childhood for this challenge also. Love salmon patties, I haven't made them in a long time....better change that!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Hi Cher, I love salmon patties, I think if I had to choose, they'd come up trumps all the time! Funny how, I went back to my roots for mine too! Lin xx

    ReplyDelete
  8. How fun! I don't think I've ever made them, and don't know why. Love how food relates to family memories. Food and Family just go together.

    ReplyDelete
  9. I used to make salmon patties a bit back in college, canned salmon was cheap! Yours look much better than mine did back then!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Yes, this was a great challenge. A chance to cook healthy, too. Thanks for stopping by my blog.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Yummy! I love salmon patties. Your look great too. Nice job!

    ReplyDelete
  12. WE never had salmon patties as a kid, but we did have salmon loaf. And I liked it, surprisingly. I made it a few years back in a fit of nostalgia. Hope your kids enjoyed it as much as you used to!

    ReplyDelete
  13. Cher, As I said, I was up for salmon patties and liked your plain & simple recipe. It's sooooo Iowa, where I grew up. Last week I made them for Supper. We enjoyed it and thot of you. Thanks. Mary

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.