2012/02/05

World Nutella Day: Not Quite Nutella - Chocolate Almond/ Macadamia Spread

February 5th is World Nutella Day.

And while nothing beats the original, it's fun to make an approximation of it at home...


...just because you can.

All you really need is a heat source (oven/ stove/ microwave), a food processor and something to put it in.


Believe it or not, some stores don't actually carry Nutella. I know, it's hard to believe. So when you need a fix and can't get a fix, you have options...



Not Quite Nutella spread
Inspired by here, here and here

Ingredients:
100 g Macadamia nuts*
100 g almonds*
30 g sweet ground chocolate
35 g powdered milk
350 g 1% milk
2 Tbs honey
1/2 tsp salt
200 g bittersweet chocolate chips
120 g semisweet chocolate chips
1 tsp vanilla
1 Tbs grape seed oil

*Nutella is traditionally made with hazelnuts. Since this is "not quite Nutella", it seemed wrong to use hazelnuts - so I changed it up a little bit. Almond, cashews, even peanuts would be nice... 

Directions:
Preheat oven to 350F. Place nuts in a single layer on baking sheet. When oven is up to temperature, place nuts in oven and toast until lightly browned and fragrant (~10 minutes).

While nuts are toasting, heat milk, powdered milk, ground chocolate, honey and salt in a small saucepan - until just coming to a boil. Remove from heat.

Place bitter and semisweet chips in a microwave-safe bowl and microwave on high heat in 20 second increments, stirring in between heating. Stop when chips just start to melt - you should be able to stir them the rest of the way. Heat them for another 5-10 seconds if needed.

Place warm nuts in the bowl of a food processor - and process until you have a paste (may take 3-5 minutes depending on your processor). Add melted chocolate and process again. Pour in milk mixture, vanilla and grape seed oil and process until fully incorporated. Mixture will be rather fluid, but will solidify in the refrigerator. 

Pour into clean 8 ounce canning jars, seal and refrigerate overnight. Yield should be approximately four 8 ounce jars.  Enjoy on your favorite fruit, spread on toast, as a dip for pretzels...

Mixture should keep about two weeks in the refrigerator.

17 comments:

  1. This looks so good..

    Aarthi
    http://www.yummytummyaarthi.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great that you made your own sort of nutella spread.
    Keep for two weeks in the refrigerator - you think it will last two weeks?:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. I knew you would mix it up a bit, Cher. :) You make it look so easy and it looks delicious. Plus, I am sure it tastes much better than spread you find in the store.

    ReplyDelete
  4. So sad I forgot about World Nutella Day. This looks great!

    ReplyDelete
  5. What a fun thing to make! I love Nutella...I have a great recipe for a Nutella biscotti. I'll have to post it! Enjoy the game.....Goooo Giants!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Giants did us proud last night, didn't they...

      Delete
  6. I LOVE your "not quite" Nutella. I need to make my own at some point...

    ReplyDelete
  7. How much do I love that you made your own Nutella?! So great! I love your joyful enthusiasm!

    ReplyDelete
  8. OOooo dare we say we're seeing a preview of this week's FFwD? I bet the macadamia nut butter is extra rich....yum!

    ReplyDelete
  9. This looks absolutely amazing.
    I went speechless after reading this recipe! This would taste really nice~!

    ReplyDelete
  10. Good for you. I bet your homemade version is not only tasty, but also healthier than the store bought version.

    ReplyDelete
  11. You are amazing! Leave it to you to make "Not Quite Nutella"...so any suggestions on how to make nutella without chocolate so the likes of me can try it? (Chocolate = Migraine)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That. Is. A. Bummer.
      I wonder how carob chips would work? That's the closest thing I can think of..
      I live with the migraine thing - fortunately, I can get away with chocolate as long as I don't have too much.

      Delete
  12. LOL - love the name "Not Quite Nutella".

    ReplyDelete
  13. Nice! I'm sure this tastes so much better than the store bought version. Fun to try different nuts. Chocolate and nuts are such a great combo.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Your instincts to choose macadamia nuts was spot. on. Macadamia nut butter with chocolate (yes, okay, there were almonds, too, but don't interrupt my focus on the holy vision of macadamia nut butter).

    ReplyDelete
  15. I'm dying to make my own nut-chocolate spread. Few days ago I saw one made with cashews and chocolate, oh my! Macadamia almond sounds divine :)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.