2012/03/27

Daring Baker's March '12 Challenge: Dutch Crunch (Brown Rice Bread w/ Dutch Crunch Topping & Turkey-Bacon Grilled Sandwiches)

Did you know that there are some times when it is TOTALLY not in your best interests to start a Daring Bakers challenge?

Seriously.


Sara and Erica of Baking JDs were our March 2012 Daring Baker hostesses! Sara & Erica challenged us to make Dutch Crunch bread, a delicious sandwich bread with a unique, crunchy topping. Sara and Erica also challenged us to create a one of a kind sandwich with our bread!


Anyhoo... back to bad ideas.
Starting bread while your kitchen is torn apart because you had a new refrigerator delivered and it didn't fit as measured and half the cabinets around it are pulled out and you have a work horse and saws and handy-people trying to put it all back together is so NOT a good plan... (Yes, I just wrote all that in one breath)

It makes me totally tired just thinking about it. I need a nap.


To be fair, I did start the loaves a couple of hours BEFORE the work started; but about the time the bread was ready to be shaped for its second rise and the subsequent topping, all heck broke loose. It was crazy-town I tell you, cra-a-zeee.

Final preparations & rising happened in the computer room... No, I did not plan this one well at all, my friends.

Somehow, the bread made it into the oven and baked despite all the chaos going on less than three feet away from where it was baking. However, since the baking coincided with the point in time when the area in front of the oven was occupied by people trying to reinstall cabinets, it might not have made it out of the oven soon enough to prevent some over browning of the top.



Despite the non-optimal conditions, the bread gods forgave me and a couple of decent brown rice loaves came out of the oven. 

Coffee marinated bacon (from my homemade bacon stash) was baked up...

By the way, ground up coffee that has been mixed with brown sugar makes an AMAZING marinade for bacon. (Side note: I think this was the first time I used my coffee grinder to grind coffee beans - it usually serves as a spice grinder...)


...and turkey and horseradish cheddar were added along with the bacon between two slices of brown rice bread.

The kitchen was finally put back together and peace was restored. At which point, my stress level dropped about fifty notches.

I have owned a copy of The Bread Bible for quite some time and have baked many different breads from it, but had never really noticed the brown rice bread recipe featured in this month's challenge. It was interesting to try this technique out.  If things had been a little less chaotic (torn apart) in my kitchen, I would have made rolls to better feature the technique.

Who would have thought that a yeasted rice flour paste would yield such an interesting finish?



This post participates in The Daring Bakers. To see every one's amazing creations featuring the Dutch Crunch technique, check out The Daring Cook's site.

Until next time!

18 comments:

  1. I hope I could taste this recipe, I am not good in baking but when I look at the photo it really looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  2. Your bread looks delicious. And what an interesting crunch topping for bread!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Impressive that you pulled it out with all the chaos in the house. The sandwich sounds divine.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Looks good, despite the chaos. Yay for your new fridge, though! Hope it all gets put back together soon.

    ReplyDelete
  5. That is possibly the best sounding sandwich I've heard of in a long, long time. Coffee/sugar marinated bacon? Now that's crazy [wonderful]. And I think those loaves in the first picture are beautiful. Hope you're enjoying your new fridge!

    ReplyDelete
  6. YUM. Dutch Crunch. Congrats on the new fridge! I need one.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh that looks and sounds amazing!

    ReplyDelete
  8. I know I am supposed to comment on the bread, which looks wonderful, but that would mean tearing my eyes and thoughts away from that bacon. YUM. :) Great job on the challenge, made even more daring by the kitchen situation you had going on! LOL.

    ReplyDelete
  9. When I first read the challenge recipe I had no desire to make the rice bread, but after seeing yours I may have changed my mind! Your sandwich with the coffee and brown sugar bacon sounds mind-blowingly out-of-this-world awesome!

    ReplyDelete
  10. I've wanted the Bread Bible for a while. Your bread looks amazing. I love your lazer like focus through all the chaos!

    ReplyDelete
  11. You did an amazing job with this challenge, especially given your chaotic kitchen. I'm so glad to see it worked out and your coffee-brown sugar bacon sounds really intriguing!

    ReplyDelete
  12. oh my sounds like a u had a have journey with the new fridge. at least u have your home baked bread around, I bet it will smooth the stress. Looks wonderful by the way! =)

    ReplyDelete
  13. I've given you the Versatile Blogger Award. Come check it out on my blog!

    ReplyDelete
  14. bacon and coffee and sugar?! wow! i must give that a try! i can't imagine baking in the situation you described! great job!

    ReplyDelete
  15. Wow, Cher! I am so impressed! You really knocked this challenge out of the park!

    ReplyDelete
  16. Just divine. Really, stunning stuff.

    ReplyDelete
  17. I would love to eat it! it looks delicious

    ReplyDelete
  18. Hope your kitchen's back together! Brown rice bread sounds so interesting, I might have to buy a new cookbook :-)

    ReplyDelete

Hi - Thanks for stopping by. I'd love to hear from you!

Due to the high number of weirdo SPAM comments I have been receiving, I have turned comment moderation back on for the time being... Comments may show a slight delay.